Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Marketing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alex Geesey
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Hand written direct mailers - need some advice

Alex Geesey
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jul 19 2021, 04:14

I'm working on hand writing a couple letters to some property owners, and I was wondering what wording has worked for you to get the property owner to call you? If you have any examples of what you put in your letters, that would be helpful as well! Is there anything else that you send with the letter, like a picture of the property or a selfie in front of the property (have heard others from podcasts doing this)?

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Crivelli
Lender
  • Lender
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Massachusetts
Replied Jul 19 2021, 06:36

My brother and I have sent out direct mailers, very generic we buys houses cash with a phone number and a we buy house sign for the picture. It has worked for us. Honestly though I like your idea of the hand written letters if you have a few hot leads. If I was ready to sell and in a bad place and got a letter that was handwritten I would more than likely respond well to it. I would personalize it with a picture of yourself and sign the bottom to make it official. I'm interest to see how this works for you! 

User Stats

Votes
Braden C.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Florida
Replied Jul 19 2021, 07:12

@Alex Geesey The simpler the wording, the more calls you'll receive but that doesn't mean they will be good leads. Since you're only sending a handful, I'd keep it simple "Dear XXXX, I am interested in purchasing 1234 main street, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thank you, Alex" 

We send out a lot of letters and have found that a professional approach versus a handwritten letter is better for generating quality leads. We get more calls with handwritten, but it's usually from people really not motivated to sell and are more curious. Plus, with a professional letter we can give more information about ourselves, build credibility, and funnel the seller to our website which is just another way for us to stand out from our competition. 

I would be careful with pictures in front of the property. Google street view postcards became popular a couple of years ago, and they didn't last long. People felt invaded by putting a picture of their property on the card and I can imagine they would feel the same way with you putting a picture of yourself in front of their house. 

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Jerryll Noorden
Professional Services
#2 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Replied Jul 19 2021, 19:54

You have a DeLorean (you know one of these cars that can travel through time, Pretty sweet car I tells yous).

You suddenly get a call form someone in Jamaica: "Yo mon, Evrteeng Airie? OK so I want to buy your car mon. "

Next day you receive a hand written letter: "Yo mon I really want to buy your car. I will offer cash, and I don't care in what condition it is in or how much you owe on it".

1 month later:

You get an other letter in the mail. This time the handwritten letter is in red ink: "Hey mon I tried several times to reach out. I REALLLLLY want to buy your car. I can pay cash mon, and I even am willing to fly over TOMORROW to pay you cah".

NOW...

What do you think?

Do you think he wants that car? Of course you do. You will get excited, because he wants that car SO bad, "I am sure he will give me a great offer".

People. Investors don't think. Investors are friggin SHEEP. You follow the sheepsass in front of you doing the exact same thing as they do, or you ask them for advise and willing to FRIGGIN BLINDLY accept said advise COMPLETELY ignoring logic.

For Pete's sake people. seriously.

What do you want your seller to think? You PERSONALLY reached out them? That you are super interested in their house? So much so you wrote them a HAND written letter WITH a picture of the house in that letter?

That is the friggin COMPLETE opposite of the message you want to give them. 

Yes they WILL expect a great offer. WHY the HELL do you all think that 90%+ of the direct mail responses looks liek this "Ddue EF YOU with your lowball stinking cash offer!".

NO! Don't send them a hand written letter. Send them a standard letter that is credible. Don't make them thing you went out of your way for that specific property. Show them you are interested in any and all houses (not just theirs) and that they need to expect a trade-off. "I pay in cash, no closing cost, no matter the condition BUY I will make you an offer blow market value as a trade off.

Not everyone will accept this, but those that do are extremely motivated! Right? Now ask your self. Do you want "leads" or do you want highly motivated leads?

Do you all start to see how most of you simply do not use that head of yours?

Now instead of just yelling at you all, I will try to provide value.

If you do send DMM (I am HIGHLY against DMM), think. Send a postcard, put a picture of yourself on the card and the message should NEVER be "sell me your house". NEVER

For ANY paid marketing the message should ALWAYS be "Visit My WEBSITE!!"

Example:

Hey mami, if you have ever considered selling your housed or are ever interested in the future I want you to know that we offer cash for houses, close as quickly as 3 minutes, or on your schedule and we don't care about liens, repairs condition etc., etc. Ohh and we pay closing costs.

For more info Please Visit My Website: "ISniffMonkeyButts.com"

Get it?

A good credible website is FAR more superior than any mailer, any letter any, anything.

You can follow Braden's advise if you truly want to do DMM (as long as my advise gets seniority  ;) ha!

But make sure... YOU THINK, and use logic or you will forEVER be sheep.

Remember, it is not about how many leads you get with your campaign, it is how many deals you make and the cost/deal.

Good luck my adorable little mortals!

Monkey has spoken!

User Stats

Votes
Jerryll Noorden
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Replied Jul 21 2021, 08:11
Originally posted by @Amanda Gisonni:

If you don't have a website yet, it is not a big deal.

Not having a website is a HUGE deal. What I am about to say next is not a matter of opinion, this is pure fact that is backed up by numbers!

If 1 person gets 2 letters, one sends them to their professional and credible website, that shows how many reviews they have, happy clients, shows how awesome they flip the houses, has 3 blogs is involved with the community and has a tremendous web presence... and the other... nothing...

if it were you, which card would you call?

People need to realize something. There is no such thing as a "small advantage". EVERY advantage you have over the competition is huge, no matter how small you think it is. They add up!

That could be the difference of a deal. It could be $55K you missed out on, not once but multiple times. By today's standards not having a website is unacceptable. You are an amateur, you don't exist. If you are in competition you have a website.

Name one reputable business that doesn't have a website! If you really want to become successful, people... you really need to step up. Stop convincing yourself that it is OK, and it can work what you do, and that some things are not absolutely necessary because Bob over there doesn't do it either.

You will always be struggling. You REALLY HAVE TO be able to look at your business and genuinely say, "I wouldn't do business with me either".

Again, this is not a matter of opinion. If you keep slacking, people like me (that are brutally competitive, savvy and competent) will destroy your business!

Stop looking at what you can get away with, not doing. Instead: Look at what else can you do to dominate your market. 

THAT is the biggest difference I see between people that crush it and those that are always struggling to get the next homerun deal.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Geesey
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 25 2021, 09:10

@Matthew Crivelli thanks for your response! I'm sending out letters this week, so we'll see how it turns! I'll try to remember to update here how it turns out!

User Stats

Votes
Alex Geesey
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 25 2021, 09:20

@Braden C. thanks for that info! I was thinking the simpler the better. I'll be sure to keep it on the shorter side. And thanks for the confirmation the pics in front of the house. I always found it kinda creepy when people have said on the podcast that they would take a selfie in front of the property, but they always said they had a few more responses than if they didn't. So, glad I'm not the only one that thought this seemed odd. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 29 2024, 07:12
Quote from @Alex Geesey:

I'm working on hand writing a couple letters to some property owners, and I was wondering what wording has worked for you to get the property owner to call you? If you have any examples of what you put in your letters, that would be helpful as well! Is there anything else that you send with the letter, like a picture of the property or a selfie in front of the property (have heard others from podcasts doing this)?

Did you end up getting any deals? Thinking about doing this as well with propwire getting me lists. Thanks!