Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Marketing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Austin Berlick
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Hassle marketing property

Austin Berlick
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Posted

Hi everyone -

I own a 5 bed 4 bath home here in North Austin, TX that I currently house hack. I've been doing 3-6 "trial leases" for new tenants and they can extend after; however, I have a W2 sales job that takes a lot of my time. Finding tenants via facebook, craigslist, word of mouth, etc.. doing a phone screen, running background checks, etc.. takes A LOT of my time. I'm starting to wonder better ways to outsource this work and find solid tenants who will stay for the long haul. 

Unfortunately, I don't have tons of margin to work with. When I move out in Sept, get married, and fill my current room, I'll basically be breaking even after expenses and maintenance. 

Any vets in here that have solid advice on how I can outsource finding awesome tenants who sign longer leases and all the work that goes into that?

User Stats

Votes
Abel Curiel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Replied
Quote from @Austin Berlick:

Hi everyone -

I own a 5 bed 4 bath home here in North Austin, TX that I currently house hack. I've been doing 3-6 "trial leases" for new tenants and they can extend after; however, I have a W2 sales job that takes a lot of my time. Finding tenants via facebook, craigslist, word of mouth, etc.. doing a phone screen, running background checks, etc.. takes A LOT of my time. I'm starting to wonder better ways to outsource this work and find solid tenants who will stay for the long haul. 

Unfortunately, I don't have tons of margin to work with. When I move out in Sept, get married, and fill my current room, I'll basically be breaking even after expenses and maintenance. 

Any vets in here that have solid advice on how I can outsource finding awesome tenants who sign longer leases and all the work that goes into that?

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

Are you looking for long-term tenants to occupy the entire home? or are you looking for individual long-term tenants for each room?

You can look into the BiggerPockets-affiliated software for landlords here in the Tools section.

Another option could be a local Realtor who either works a ton of rentals or does a lot of business in North Austin.

The software route may still require involvement on your end i.e. setup, communication, document review, etc. 

The Realtor route will help you offload most if not all of the workload. 

Not sure how rentals work in Texas but in New York you can still have the tenant pay the broker's fee.

All the best!

Abel

User Stats

Votes
Austin Berlick
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Hi Abel -

Thanks for the insight. I'm looking for individual long term tenants on a rent by room basis. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Savannah Yingling
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Chevy Chase, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Chevy Chase, MD
Replied

Hi everyone -

Hi Austin! I agree with Abel. Find an agent in the area or even PM company to help take care of securing a solid tenant. That will take a good amount of the process off your hands. I am an Assistant Property Manager and we have a few owners who prefer to manage without paying a fee monthly, but they will use us to help secure qualified tenants. If you're close to a military base, try Facebook groups with a focus around those individuals. Goodluck!

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

You get what you pay for. Finding quality tenants requires a lot of experience and takes a lot of time. Hire someone cheap and you'll suffer for it.

If you are "breaking even" after all expenses and maintenance, then you probably can't afford to pay a professional to handle the marketing and screening. You may want to consider selling to get out from under the property.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Hi everyone -

Check out padsplit, they help with this. Reach out to me too if you need anything!

User Stats

Votes
Austin Berlick
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Thanks man. Hope to stay in touch with future rentals in austin area. Heather and I will be looking for our duplex/triplex to househack in 25'

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

Why are you renting this if you can't make it cashflow?

User Stats

Votes
Josh Bowser
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, Ga
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, Ga
Replied

Hey Austin - check out Padsplit, Homerome, or Alcove. These are all 'rent by the room tenant brokerages'.