Great choice in joining this forum, a lot of good information here. It's definitely not a "do this and you'll be rich" website/forum. Think of it as the internet of REI. You have to do some legwork, but you can definitely find a lot of information and great experiences and knowledge within these forums. I see you are looking to invest in the Southcoast area of MA, I find this to be a great area to invest in, I personally live in the area so it's easy for me to manage my properties. I see that you are located in Boston, MA. My only recommendation would be to really educate yourself of the area you choose to invest in. Also, if this is your first time investing in RE, especially small MFs, I would maybe be cautious of choosing properties that are far away from you right away. Especially in this area where the majority of small multi family properties are 100 + years in age. This is simply my opinion. I found that when I began investing, I also managed them and had to deal with a lot of phone calls and day to day business, only because I was learning. I am happy that I went through this experience, as it taught me a lot about what systems to put in place, what works for me and what doesn't. It also showed me my own niche and what I like to see in my properties to make my life, my tenants, and my investing much easier. It's definitely a learning experience, but if you pay attention and embrace it, it can be an enjoyable one.
Great choice in joining this forum, a lot of good information here. It's definitely not a "do this and you'll be rich" website/forum. Think of it as the internet of REI. You have to do some legwork, but you can definitely find a lot of information and great experiences and knowledge within these forums. I see you are looking to invest in the Southcoast area of MA, I find this to be a great area to invest in, I personally live in the area so it's easy for me to manage my properties. I see that you are located in Boston, MA. My only recommendation would be to really educate yourself of the area you choose to invest in. Also, if this is your first time investing in RE, especially small MFs, I would maybe be cautious of choosing properties that are far away from you right away. Especially in this area where the majority of small multi family properties are 100 + years in age. This is simply my opinion. I found that when I began investing, I also managed them and had to deal with a lot of phone calls and day to day business, only because I was learning. I am happy that I went through this experience, as it taught me a lot about what systems to put in place, what works for me and what doesn't. It also showed me my own niche and what I like to see in my properties to make my life, my tenants, and my investing much easier. It's definitely a learning experience, but if you pay attention and embrace it, it can be an enjoyable one.
China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
@Brandon E. New Bedford and Fall River certainly present some low-price opportunities. However, there are low rents to go along with those low prices. There are also some hot spots for crime - more so in Fall River than New Bedford.
The one thing that Trulia.com is useful for is their crime maps. I'd visit there and look over those maps to get a feel for what the crime levels are like before investing.
If you look a little further north and east, there are opportunities in Plymouth County. Plymouth, Kingston, Wareham and Brockton (02301 / west side is much nicer). The Bridgewaters, Halifax and Hanson are worth a look as well.