ADU Times 2! How I’m turning an SFR into a Tri-Plex. Legally.

ADU Times 2! How I’m turning an SFR into a Tri-Plex. Legally.

Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 5 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $540,000
Cash invested: $250,000

This is a unique property that has a street on both the front and back of the lot. There is a single family home one one side, and a fence dividing the property down the middle. There is also a dug out basement. I just got plans approved to turn the basement into a Jr. ADU - I have plans submitted now to add a detached ADU in the back yard (facing the back street). Once completed, this project will cash flow $4,000 per month, and will have a total cost of $800,000 with gross rents of $7,500-8,000 per month.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

CA laws allowing the addition of 2 ADU's on an SFR home, one detached, and one attached. It is an amazing opportunity for massive cash flow if done right.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

It was sitting on the market for several months, overpriced. Nobody saw the value that I did. But it was still overpriced. The seller wanted 580-600K and it just wasn’t worth that. I offered 480K - no response. Through a series of back and forth, I almost lost the deal. The listing was expiring. I googled the seller and found out he was a local contractor. I called him and said I wanted to meet. I went over to the home and met with him in person. We had a lot in common. See more in next section.

How did you finance this deal?

I walked away with a handshake deal to sell for 540K. I found out he was a cigar lover. When I close the deal, I bought a humidor, filled it with Cuban cigars, and gave it to him as a present. He met me at the property, and as we walked it together, he confided in me that he was dying of cancer. He said what mattered most to him, other than not feeling like he was getting screwed, is that the person who bought the home, had a vision like he did on what to do with it, and saw it’s potential.

How did you add value to the deal?

I added value by adding a detached in-law unit, and an attached in-law unit. It really will function like a triplex. I will use the basement ADU as an air-bnb and the detached will rent out for $2,750. It's a cash cow.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I’m a lender and structure the deal myself. My dad is a broker and he represented me on the real estate side.

2Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan H.Pro Member
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
5y

I suspect your plan to STR the JADU is not legal. I know of no jurisdiction that allows ADUs built since 2017 to be used as an STR.

In addition the JADU to be rented requires the owner to reside on the property.  

Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    5y

    I suspect your plan to STR the JADU is not legal. I know of no jurisdiction that allows ADUs built since 2017 to be used as an STR.

    In addition the JADU to be rented requires the owner to reside on the property.  

    Good luck

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 313 posts · 230 votes
    5y

    @Dan H. is right.  Unless you are sitting on R-2 zoning.  The owner occupancy requirement makes your project illegal (at least for now).  What city is this in?

  • Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2017 · 152 posts · 65 votes
    5y

    Great backstory Robert. Sounds like a great investment so far hope the JADU works out the way you need it to, cheers!

  • San Francisco Ca · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    @Robert Ring Love the detailed breakdown! I've been seeing a lot of investors using this strategy for their Buy n Hold strategy. As goes for STR for any ADUs tends to be tricky as most jurisdictions won't allow it or, in some cases, must be owner-occupied for the JADU specifically. You could, however, occupy the JADU yourself and rent out the SFR and the ADU with no problems. I would suggest verifying this with your city's planning department.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 205 posts · 123 votes
    5y

    Great investment. Well done for sticking with it and following up with the seller. 

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Where in CA is this? How big is your detached ADU? Renting it out for $2750 seems high unless it is a 3 beds, 2 baths.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.