Accountant getting into House Hacking

Accountant getting into House Hacking

Accountant · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 100 posts · 66 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Nashville.

Purchase price: $255,000
Cash invested: $2,500

Before I started house hacking I was paying roughly $1,000 in rent. Now I own a 3 bedroom house which I was able to get into for just $2,500 down using a program in TN where you can get a $15k interest free loan towards your downpayment & closing costs if you meet a certain criteria

The rent is $650 per room, which ends up being $1,300 in rental revenue per month. After my expenses, my true cash flow is - $250. Once you factor in my rent savings, it becomes$750 per month! That is a 360% ROI!

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I am an accountant who does bookkeeping & tax planning/filing for real estate investors. I figured the best way to understand the business was to have first-hand experience with real estate and then apply my tax knowledge. So far this experience has helped me better understand my clients and increased my savings rate to 65%!

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I used the MLS and an agent to find the deal. We were very patient and looked for almost a year before finding a house that fit my criteria with motivated sellers.

How did you finance this deal?

Conventional loan - 5% down

How did you add value to the deal?

The property was turnkey with very few repairs needed (if an accountant can fix something, I consider that minor). I think it is a myth that in real estate you always have to buy a property that needs repairs. If you can negotiate a good price that fits your investment criteria, it only gets easier the better condition the home is in!

What was the outcome?

65% personal savings rate
First-hand real estate experience that was manageable with a full-time job & side accounting business
I can better serve my clients as I build my own real estate portfolio to understand their challenges
2 new friends (my roommates)

Lessons learned? Challenges?

The two biggest lessons learned was: 1) Real estate is not all about buying properties in bad condition and fixing them up. If you don't have the stomach for that be patient and find a turnkey property that fits your investment criteria and you will still have an amazing portfolio. Less headaches & solid returns. 2) If you are house hacking in a single-family home, you are just as much selling yourself as you are the property when looking for tenants.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

N/A

3Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2018 · 52 posts · 55 votes
5y

Awesome work, Matt! House hacking is one of the best ways to jump in and get started investing in real estate. I agree that it is possible to find a deal that doesn't need much work, but you will need to be patient for the right opportunity like you were on this house hack. I enjoyed learning about how this deal positively impacted you in several ways... From increasing your savings rate, establishing new personal and professional relationships, and gaining first-hand experience to better understand and serve your clients. This is a great inspiration as I am looking to do my first hack in Auburn this upcoming year. Best of luck with your future endeavors!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Unadilla NY · Member since 2017 · 418 posts · 297 votes
    5y

    Off to a great start! How do you plan to use your savings rate now?

  • Licensed Realtor & Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 164 posts · 124 votes
    5y

    Congrats @Matthew Cervoni, it sounds like your first investment property/ house hack is a success... Best of luck on your future investing endeavors!

  • Accountant · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 100 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Dan M.the savings rate is going to provide me the capital to go full-time with my own CPA firm (currently I help real-estate investors on the side) and to buy my next house hack! I plan to hold this property as a long-term rental when I move out. 

    @Bradley Sriro thank you! 

  • Licensed Realtor & Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 164 posts · 124 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Cervoni Is the interest free loan forgivable over a certain amount of years, and will you be able to use the same program again for your next purchase?

  • Accountant · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 100 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Bradley Sriro the loan is not forgivable and gets paid back in full whenever the house is sold (still no interest). I will also not be able to use the same program on my next house since it is for first-time home buyers only. I was still very happy to use it since it gave me a boost on my first deal and I am looking for ways to get creative again & boost ROI on my next one.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2018 · 52 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    Awesome work, Matt! House hacking is one of the best ways to jump in and get started investing in real estate. I agree that it is possible to find a deal that doesn't need much work, but you will need to be patient for the right opportunity like you were on this house hack. I enjoyed learning about how this deal positively impacted you in several ways... From increasing your savings rate, establishing new personal and professional relationships, and gaining first-hand experience to better understand and serve your clients. This is a great inspiration as I am looking to do my first hack in Auburn this upcoming year. Best of luck with your future endeavors!

  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 221 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Cervoni Congratulations! Setting the right foundation to proper financially in the future. Look forward to hearing about your next one.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.