Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daryl L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • South East Louisiana
Votes |
Opportunity of a lifetime

Daryl L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • South East Louisiana
Posted Aug 6 2020, 09:47

Just got a call last night for what may be a great (amazing!) opportunity. A family member is looking to retire and offered that I could take over his entire business. We didn't get into the depth of details I'd like but I did talk with him enough to get some basics:

*25-30 properties
Mostly SFH, with a couple commercial and MFH
  One 30+unit complex rented out weekly as efficiencies

*5 employees 
   Most are laborers
   All maintenance is done by owner and employees (Roofs, plumbing, electrical, you name it)
   Bookkeeper recently quit so books are a mess....not sure how bad but I know everything is done in cash with paper receipts. No electronic anything.

*Lots of tools and equipment
   Heavy equipment, trucks, trailers, etc. Lots of assets that need maintenance and insurance (operating costs)

*In a different state
   I'd have to leave my 9-5, move to a different state (TX)....not sure if I'd keep my current 3 rentals or not (LA & GA).

Now my question is, other than cashflow in/cashflow out, asset list with values, annual property taxes.....that should I be looking for to evaluate this deal?  I'm an engineer currently and make damn good money in a very stable industry, I want to evaluate this as best I can before jumping behind the helm of a business like this. It's not often a multi-million dollar estate is dropped in your lap where I come from, so I want to make sure I have my eyes wide open before jumping.

Loading replies...