According to my numbers, I just collect money?

According to my numbers, I just collect money?

Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 30 votes

Hey everyone! This property is duplex with an asking of 129,900 and has fresh leases for 1,025 and 1,000 that were signed in July. The tenants pay for water, heat, and electric, and the property itself is managed by a property management company. The person takes 1/3 of rent on the 1st month (when placing new tenants), and then $90/unit after. She handles maintenance, collection, filling vacancies, move-outs, and regular inspections. It sounds like we literally just sit back and collect cash for doing nothing. That rate looks to be pretty reasonable to some of the other prices I've heard of.

After running the numbers, it looks like this property as a monthly cashflow of about 426 and CoC ROI of 14.85% (I wasn't sure if I include her $180 as an additional expense or if I count the Property Management part of the expenses on my report. I just included both since I wasn't really sure). My question is, would I be dumb not to take this? I mean it almost seems too good to be true...I literally just buy the place and I don't have to do anything unless there is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Thoughts?

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 190 votes
9y

I'm guessing that what @Jordan Moorhead is referring to is that with that price to rent ratio it will usually be in a less than ideal location.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    As long as you have good management in place that's the whole idea!! I have 141 units with great managers and I am only involved on serious issues... and that's usually just answering a call or email from the manager with the options, choose the option, and then they handle it. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    @Austin Fruechting so given the numbers I've mentioned above, you'd take that deal? Anything I should be asking about or anything? This is the first place we've encountered where someone is managing the place already.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I can't say 100% that I would or wouldn't take the deal without fully knowing the market & the property... but generally speaking if the building is structurally sound;  $2,025 in rent for $129,900 is a great ratio! 

  • Realtor · Nolensville, TN · Member since 2016 · 94 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    @Kelly Conrad

    Sounds great! As long as you know a little about the tenants. I would want to make sure the criteria before you was up to par with what you would require of potential tenants. A lot of horror stories from people inheriting tenants.

    Also, sounds like the same property management company that has been managing them will continue to do so though. I think that's good if the management company is a solid company. That way, the tenants aren't having to get used to a new landlord. It's business as usual for them. You don't want to inherit tenants with bad management/ownership and then you have to "break them in" with how you manage and what you expect from them as tenants.

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    @Keith Smith I agree, it sounds like they've been using this same person for a long time and really like her. I'm thinking if we want to do this after seeing the place in two days, that we'd want to talk with the property manager just to see what she's like. We're fine to let her work her magic if it's been working and it doesn't mean hassle for us!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Joppa, MD · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 178 votes
    9y

    That really does sound like a great deal as long as the new tenants are great tenants.  With fresh leases, ask to see the leases, applications and credit checks when you meet with the PM. 

    If you haven't done this already, you should also get the PM company's information so you can research them online to make sure they are legit. Ask for references and call them to ask how their experience has been with the company and the manager.  You should be able to feel out the PM when you meet face to face but you should also have a list of interview questions ready for her when you meet - #1 question being how long has he/she been managing property. 

    Best of luck to you!

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    @Laticia Braxton Those are GREAT ideas! I will absolutely do that! Thank you so much for your insight!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Joppa, MD · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 178 votes
    9y

    @Kelly Conrad you are more than welcome!

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Kelly Conrad where is this property and are you ready to deal with that? I haven't seen anything like that on the market.
  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Hey @Jordan Moorhead! Could you elaborate more on what you mean if I'm ready to deal with that?

  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 190 votes
    9y

    I'm guessing that what @Jordan Moorhead is referring to is that with that price to rent ratio it will usually be in a less than ideal location.

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    @Anthony Hurlburt ah, I see. We're checking it out tomorrow, some places are getting better and so it goes block by block it seems

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Kelly Conrad if you're looking in Phillips, North or parts of South that are just south of lake st be ready to deal with drugs, extra people living in units, damage and just a general lack of respect for your property. Unless you fully understand what these properties entail it is best to look in other areas.

    I know people that do incredibly well but I also meet people who get chewed up and spit out of these areas quite often. A good property manager will make all the difference and you can do very well. That being said I would never invest in any of these areas personally and I've even lived in North at one point in time. My buddy and I have a nickname for North, "the beast", but he manages plenty of properties over there and his family has 20+ rentals in the area, all section 8, that do very well.

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Hey @Jordan Moorhead,

    Gotcha, we're actually looking in St. Paul, but I totally get where you're coming from. The area's we're looking at tomorrow have a lot of Hispanic families and I have a friend who knows the area well and has given me some tips on things to check out and things to be aware of. 

    I did take a peak at North, but knowing that the area values won't really be improving, we decided to stay away since we likely wouldn't be making anything back upon selling in 5 years.

    Thanks for clarifying for me, it's good to hear from another local investor!! 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Kelly Conrad west saint paul can be the same. Check crime reports and talk to the local police department!

    The values in North have shot up in the past few years and there are still deals to be had too. Unless you have insider info about developments in West Saint Paul I would stick to cash flow and not count on appreciation. 

    Do you own any rentals currently?

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    @Jordan Moorhead I completely agree, we aren't banking on appreciation at this time, just cash flow, unless it's West Seventh! 

    We're on he hunt for our first property, we just have to get in before the all cash investors come knocking!

  • Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
    9y
    We usually look at the last 3 years of rents. Often landlords will increase rents and lower criteria to fill them at these higher rents just to increase the sales price. The bank appraisal will usually correct this, but not always. Be sure the rents are "sustainable".
  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    @Amber Gonion That's a great point! I just sent a bunch of questions over for their PM to respond to and I asked for the last 3 years of rent and vacancy info. That's a great idea. Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.