Buy and Hold. Deciding weather to hold or sell.

Buy and Hold. Deciding weather to hold or sell.

Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 175 votes

Hello, I've been wrestling with a decision for the past week and I'm looking for some advice. 

We are cashing out of a flip, which we are currently living in, and using the profits to put 20% down on our 'forever home'. 

Here's what I'm struggling with: We also have a buy and hold on Park Avenue in Rochester NY. Which is a very desirable neighborhood. Currently it cash flows about $500 per month, but with the addition of a 2nd full bath i feel it could cash flow at almost $800 (which is what comps are renting for). It needs a paint job and a new roof. I'm considering selling it and paying off our current forever home. So what's better; no mortgage on a primary home and no investment property -or- mortgage payment on primary home and investment income?

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    I would say mortgage payment + investment income.

    Here are my thoughts:

    1. Tax benefits for mortgages

    2. Low interest rates, lock the mortgage now

    3. You can always sell the investment to pay off the mortgage

    4. Value/income of investment can go up

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    You're on a real estate investment site... I don't know how you thought the suggestions would be any different :)

    Of course you want a mortgage, the rates are at all time lows. Why would you take your money and earn ~4% when you are earning ~$500/mo? 

    On another note, why put 20% down on your house!? That money could go to the roof, paint job and bathroom. With the extra 3600/yr, I think you would be much better off!

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 175 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the feedback gents. We are going to be keeping the home.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.