3 mobile homes and SFH on one lot deal

3 mobile homes and SFH on one lot deal

Mariah JefferyBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2009 · 205 posts · 51 votes

I know someone who has 65 properties and has offered to sell me any of them at the tax assessed value. For this particular county, the values usually run 10-15% lower than the market value on average, but there is a lot of variability, and some are 20-30% below. These are the ones I'm trying to find. They are all in decent (but not excellent) shape with tenants currently in them.

One of the seller's properties has 3 mobile homes and one single family home on it. Asking price: $94K. Total rents $2,000/month. All utilities paid by tenants. This meets the 2% rule, and property taxes would be pretty low (~$1,950/year). I have asked around about financing, and so far the best I can find is 20% down, 6.75% on a 25-year loan with a 15-year balloon (so I would probably pay it off in 15 years because I don't like to gamble).

I calculate the cash flow to be $388 (not quite $100/door but not bad for a 15 year mortgage; I get $534 if I plug in 25 years.) and the 30-year IRR to be a whopping 36%. This seems like an outstanding deal, but I know very little about mobile homes. Is there anything I should change in my analysis? Is maintenance higher for mobile homes than single families?

Thanks!
MJ

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
16y

I believe there was another poster here posting on that very property. If not it was a kissing cousin.

Mobile home renting requires higher irr,,,a lot higher. Alot more risk. If you ever have frozen pipes it gets expensive. Furnaces can go out at the drop of a hat.

Mobile homes wear out pretty quick. Hauling one to the dump isnt fun. Dont ask how I know!!!

IF they are older homes they MAY be at the end of their lifetime now.

Can you put another there when one expires??

Otherwise what you are really buying is the house and the lot and the mobiles better be thrown in free or next to.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Mariah- maint will be higher. Any possibility of splitting the lot? That would increase your value a lot. Rich.

  • Mariah JefferyBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2009 · 205 posts · 51 votes
    16y

    Rich -

    I have looked into that. The lot is not quite big enough to be split, unless the neighbor would be willing to sell me a small chunk of his land. It's a possibility, but not one I can count on. This one would be very difficult to sell, so I would plan to buy and hold for a very long time.

    How much higher is maintenance on a mobile home?

    By the way, this property is in your home state of South Dakota (Rapid City).

    -MJ

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Mariah- why SD for an oregonian? The mgmt would be tough on that type of property. Maint would depend on age. Very cold winters, so mobiles need to be well insulated or your tenants won't be able to afford the heat and they'll leave. Rich

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    16y

    I believe there was another poster here posting on that very property. If not it was a kissing cousin.

    Mobile home renting requires higher irr,,,a lot higher. Alot more risk. If you ever have frozen pipes it gets expensive. Furnaces can go out at the drop of a hat.

    Mobile homes wear out pretty quick. Hauling one to the dump isnt fun. Dont ask how I know!!!

    IF they are older homes they MAY be at the end of their lifetime now.

    Can you put another there when one expires??

    Otherwise what you are really buying is the house and the lot and the mobiles better be thrown in free or next to.

  • Mariah JefferyBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2009 · 205 posts · 51 votes
    16y

    Rich -
    The reasons I'm buying properties in Rapid City are a) cash flow opportunities are few and far between in the Portland area (the 1% rule is almost unheard of, much less 2%) and b) my father in law lives in Rapid City and manages the properties for us at a very low cost.

    Don -
    I don't know the answers to these questions, so I guess I have a lot more research to do!

    Thanks to both.
    MJ

  • Rental Property Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 51 posts · 6 votes
    16y

    a mobile home will last forever if u can keep a nice roof on it and most come with a metal roof so thats not usually a problem.

    They are easy to maintain and fix. Small floor plans, everything is small and cheap for them. I wouldn't worry much about there lifespan.

  • Member since 2009 · 1 post · 0 votes
    16y

    We use Redytemps in our mobile homes to prevent pipes from freezing. We don't have to leave the heat on in the place anymore when we're away since the Redytemp takes care of the whole home.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    There is also an extensive forum thread here on BP on using Pex for plumbing, it expands when water freezes, helping to prevent breaks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.