Please help me pick apart this private real estate investment
Hi, I am new to the BP forums but have been listening to the BP podcast and also another more general investing podcast for about 6 months now.
I've gotten information paralysis really. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and have not been able to take the leap and look outside my area for opportunities.
Because I am a relative newbie to investing (I own 1 property in Jax,Fl), I emailed some of my high school friends about a site called Realty Mogul since I knew one was a broker. Seemed like a decent service.
Anyway, it so happens a different friend replied back and said that he helps run a private fund that buys MF properties in the South and Mid South and gets a good return.
I asked him more about it and we met.
He's one of my oldest friends whom I've known for about 20 years now.
He gave me a pitch about his firm, and it seems pretty solid.
They buy and hold for cashflow. They have over 3000 units and look to expand.
My question is, what else do I need to ask? I don't even know where to start. How can I tell if this is where I want to go with my money?
He said it's about a 7% annual return over the last 8 years. Seems easy in comparison to finding, buying, rehabbing, refinancing (BRRR). We could make an investment of $50k at the minimum.
Can anyone help me figure out what questions I need to ask?
Thanks for your help and time!
Jason