How I FAILED but actually SUCCEEDED in New York City

How I FAILED but actually SUCCEEDED in New York City

Brooklyn, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 47 posts 路 22 votes

It's about 11pm, at this slightly inappropriate hour the seller's broker wants to know if I can close or not. With Brandon Turner's book "The Book On Rental Property Investing" in one hand, I'm thinking about a last minute miracle I can conjure up. Thankfully my girlfriend is supportive of such madness. I was stressed because my offer was accepted however my lending strategy fell through. Yes, the famous house-hacking with an FHA loan strategy. Before that, here's some background.

I got a W2 position about 10 months ago JUST so I can qualify for an FHA loan. I love that job now however, it is a startup company. We are 700k financed and currently in the process of raising a bridge round of 500k to get us to a Series A round of about 5 mil. All good so far. Yay. What I didn't calculate was that, in between funding rounds our team sometimes doesn't get payroll for 2 months or so until investment dollars hit the bank. Guess when this happened? You guessed it. RIGHT WHEN I FOUND THE DEAL. I've been looking aggressively in the South Bronx area for about a year now and nothing, I repeat NOTHING made sense. Nothing seemed to cash-flow. Many times I said "This is impossible to do in NYC". The classic hot market adage. I don't know. I didn't give up. I went harder. Like making friends with local Deli owners to keep an ear out for you type hard. Finally, not through my Deli friends 馃槂 but through my broker I got something. By this time my eyes are pretty well-trained to analyze a property. One look and I knew. Could this be possible? Did I just find a deal?

Cash-flow; When I'm living in the property - 1500$, when I move out w property management included 800$ on 3 unit multifamily with a finished basement. 3 over 3 over 3. 1900$ rent per unit after rehab which was generously estimated at 30k. My calculations included rehab costs. Cap rate 6.5.% Saw the property, everything looked as expected. I made the offer right away. 570k asking, seller's concession closing costs, which is how I would finance the rehab. Offer accepted. That day I think I felt like that scene in the Matrix when Neo starts seeing the code and the music starts.

Then I got the phone call from our company; we are not getting payroll for another 2 months. Here is where I have to thank @Darren Sager for putting on the BP NYC events on where I met @Matt Faircloth. I'm very thankful to @Matt Faircloth & @Elizabeth Faircloth for being incredibly supportive and mentoring me through this most critical time. The reason I even got this confident was because I knew I had the right people in my corner. I don't know if I'd have the audacity otherwise. The underwriter said no way we can lend if you dont have those paystubs like a square peg in a square hole. I had delayed the process too long already while trying to figure out what to do and the seller wanted answers or was moving on. I confessed. Not happening. And last attempt I said "Hey let's seller finance this. 5 year note, higher interest rate?" The seller had a mortgage so that didn't happen either. So I failed.

Here is the thing though. I learned one thing. Nothing is impossible. I FOUND A DEAL IN NYC and if it wasn't for an unfortunate reality of life, I would have locked it down like it's nobody's business. There are deals to be had. Even in New York City. I experienced this first hand. And I will find a deal again. I've gained confidence and know what to look for and HOW to look at it. This alone is success to me. I never thought my full on BiggerPockets post would be something like this. I'm going to go take a bubble bath now. Thanks for reading and make sure to connect with me, you don't have to be a Deli owner. 

4Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

East Elmhurst, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 5 posts 路 2 votes
10y

you're a success in the making at least you took action and you learned a few things in the process you didn't back down your confidence should be at an all time high and feel good about yourself cause your next deal you get under contract it's a win win God speed

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • East Elmhurst, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 5 posts 路 2 votes
    10y

    you're a success in the making at least you took action and you learned a few things in the process you didn't back down your confidence should be at an all time high and feel good about yourself cause your next deal you get under contract it's a win win God speed

  • Bronx, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 11 posts 路 5 votes
    10y

    I think you are a hero in your right as; you searched for a YEAR, found a DEAL, ran the NUMBERS and for the holy grail you actually made an OFFER and in a true winners spirit it was ACCEPTED so kudos to you.  AND life is a lesson so I'm sure your on your way to our next deal being even wiser. 

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Bronx, NY 路 Member since 2011 路 597 posts 路 341 votes
    10y

    Great to hear that you found a deal. Stay persistent and consistent and you will eventually get to reach your goal. 

    I realized you said 10 months with the W2 and they were going to finance you. While I'm not a mortgage broker in my experience banks want to see at least 2 years on the books. Whether that's W2's or 1099's. If it's 1099's they look at the average for the last 2 years. So if you made 10k one year and 100k the next they'll base it off of 55k. While the deals can still be found you are right they are getting harder to come by. Good luck and reach out if you'd like. 

  • Brooklyn, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 47 posts 路 22 votes
    10y

    Couldn't tag in my original post. Thank you to @Matt Faircloth & @Liz Faircloth of the DeRosa Group (www.derosagroup.com) for their mentorship and @Darren Sager for putting on the BP NYC networking events where I've made these wonderful connections. 

  • Missouri City, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 46 posts 路 17 votes
    10y
    Nazimcan Suvag This is amazing!!!! Congrats!! I'm also looking to land my first deal and im goad to see you did it!! Im also investing in the bronx. Your post inspired me, thank you!
  • Investor 路 Brooklyn, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 127 posts 路 57 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed Sorry it didn't end like you wanted but now you know that there are deals out there, it's just a matter of staying patient. Good luck going forward!

  • Matt FairclothPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Trenton, NJ 路 Member since 2014 路 136 posts 路 155 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed  - Shake it off my friend.  You are tenacious and will be successful.  Remember that the deal of the decade comes by every week.  Don't get your emotions involved and stay focused on your goal.  Speak soon over the phone and looking forward to the NYC meet up on September 27th!!

  • Investor 路 Indianapolis, IN 路 Member since 2014 路 2k+ posts 路 601 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed  Love your perspective on this. Taking a step is never a failure in my book -  never taking one is. We don't all walk perfectly at first but seem to get the hang of it along the way. 

  • Brooklyn, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 6 posts 路 2 votes
    10y

    @Nazimcan Suvag

    Congratulations! Taking action is what sets apart the ones who succeed and the investors who never get started. 

    Which part of the South Bronx are you searching in ?  Mott Haven ? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.