Cash out on equity or rehab.

Cash out on equity or rehab.

Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 9 votes

Alright analyzers of Bigger Pockets. This is an interesting one. 

Here are the home details:

North Miami Beach, FL 33162

3 beds 2 baths 1,800 sqft (Lot: 8,300) sqft

We own this home outright - purchased it for around $175 in early 2010's.

Given comps the home is worth around ~300k.

However I just performed an inspection and it wasn't great. After termites, septic, some electrical upgrades they estimated about 10k in fixes. 

Current tenants:

Existing tenants have been there for a long time (3 years) and always pay. I didn't put the lease together (an acquaintance did) and (silly me) don't actually have a copy of the lease, but they pay on time every time. They don't seem to want to move and are not much of a pain with the exception of a more than frequently common septic flush (I do this about  every 6 months and I read it should be once a year). I have also noticed from neighbors that they have 6 cars on the lawn and the driveway. The driveway only fits one car and it's overflowing. They claim only 4 people are in there but I have no way to verify since I live out of state. Basically they're not under the close eye of a responsible landlord.

Current Rent: $1300 (which is way under-performing for the area for sure)

Again, I live out of state (so it's hard for me to keep an eye on it).

I've boiled it to a few options.

Option 1

I have a relative that would probably buy it as is since he want's the opportunity to rehab it for his own family. I could probably get $250k - $270k for it.

Pros: 

- Don't have to deal with fixes or tenants.

- I can reinvest the capital somewhere else.

Cons:

- I lose the cash-flow

Option 2

I can do a fresh start. Evict the current tenants legally, (we're on a month-to-month right now); rehab the place for 20k-30k and then decide to re-rent or sell.

Pros:

- I take best advantage of the properties new value and cash-flow

Cons:

- I wouldn't be on site (since i live out of state) or if I fly over, it would cost a lot to travel there and miss work.

- Risk of spending more money than we should rehabbing it (we haven't done a rehab of this caliber before).

Option 3

I can keep the current tenants and do land-lording the right way. This means new lease, new rules, new rent (I spoke to them about raising rent to $1500 and tenant seemed to show concern about the raise even though they could do it. Enough to make me think they are somewhat barely affording current rent). I would then perform most or some of the fixes that the inspectors quoted. However, many of the cons from option 2 apply to this one:

Pros:

- I keep tenants that have kept me cash-flowing for years and paid rent on time.

Cons:

- I keep tenants that don't seem to take the BEST care of the property (definitely not trash it - but still).

- I would have to do all the fixes from out of state. So risk of spending more money on fixes and/or risk of crappy fixes.

** Added bonus on Option 3, I can put this home under property management. 

== 

So there you have it BP. Pick an option - maybe modify it a little. Help me out with contacts of the area that can help me out, or even make a completely new Option #4.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Kocsen Chung I would have sold this home a long time ago.  To only get $1300/month in rent while having almost 300k tied up, is not a great use of your money.  To put it in perspective, you could have bought two $140k homes in Raleigh, rented them for $1150 each and be making $2300/month instead of 1300.  Raleigh is not even a high cash flow area, known more for it's appreciation potential.  You could buy in Ohio and make even more money each month.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    The tenants can stay in place, you get the money for selling the house. The new owners can do all the fixing or repairs.

    (I'm sleepy, but wanted to put my 2cents in...it's the zzzzzz talking

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 138 votes
    10y

    I'd sell.  If you can get 275k out of it, which it sounds like you can (be it from your relative or on the open market), you are essentially tying up that capital for a $1300 a month rental income.  No thank you.

    You wouldn't buy a 275k property that you could rent out at $1300, so why would you keep one when you have the opportunity to cash out?

    You will have made about 6 years of cash flow from the rental and about 100k in appreciation in that time.  Sounds like a win to me.  Cash out and move on to the next one.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    I rarely suggest selling assets, but you should consider it here.

    how long will it take you to make up the difference in equity profit in monthly rent? What will your tax basis be for this if you sell? 

    Lastly, if you bought the property for what it's worth now, ~300k would it make a good rental NO! so sell it and use the same money you have invested now to reinvest in a better performing unit and you still have profit ;) 

  • Investor · Palm Harbor, FL · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    To piggyback off what some others have already suggested....

    Perhaps keep tenants in place month to month and therefore keep getting your cash flow until you can find another property(s) to buy via a 1040, and then let your relative know that finding that property is the hold up and as soon as you do then you will sell them the property.

    Not sure if I missed where you said what you were cash flowing a month but with that much money tied up you could either buy multiple properties with 20-25% down or a multi-family property and increase cash flow. 

    Perhaps, buying properties in your own area could be something to consider as well, cut out the property management (assuming you have one) and increase cash flow even more.

    Just ideas...

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Thank you all for the responses! 

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Robert G. @Mark Stone

    I decided to keep the place and now the problems with the place are becoming more apparent. The place had a minor flood and the septic guy said we need a new draining field (at least $3k) or a connection to the city water lines, if available. I also got a notice from the city inspector that the facade of the building is not 'up to par'. 

    I would be more comfortable fixing the place up if it was performing up to market expectations. Should I consider fixing it up anyways and then selling it? Should i just stick with it? Should I look into property management to help out with all of this? I'm really at odds here.

    Current cash flow is about $1300/mo. - which is making it hard to part ways with from a financial perspective.

  • Covington, GA · Member since 2014 · 295 posts · 93 votes
    9y

    Hi Kocsen. You own a potentially 300k asset outright. I can definitely understand NOT wanting to sell that. Also you’re getting $1300 in under-market rental income a month. I am a proponent of keeping assets that are performing well.

    Here’s a thought…since you seem to be leaning towards keeping the unit, perhaps consider getting a reputable property manager in the area. Many times they have the resources, forms and knowledge of the area and can assist with getting that new lease in place, as well as, obtaining contacts for repairs and also how to slowly increase rents back up to market. Have the P.M. put the house on notice of new management and an in home inspection to review who’s currently living there, v/s who should be there. Perhaps you can contact your acquaintance to see if he/she has a copy of the lease to compare.

    In my opinion 13K+ in repairs is a minor bump in the road for a $300k asset that’s pulling in over 15k/year. Heck…a bank would probably give you a Line of Credit or Rehab loan for the repairs. Repay it in 1-2 years and see if it can be claimed on your taxes along with the depreciation to offset your taxable income. Just thoughts…hope it works out.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Kocsen Chung I would have sold this home a long time ago.  To only get $1300/month in rent while having almost 300k tied up, is not a great use of your money.  To put it in perspective, you could have bought two $140k homes in Raleigh, rented them for $1150 each and be making $2300/month instead of 1300.  Raleigh is not even a high cash flow area, known more for it's appreciation potential.  You could buy in Ohio and make even more money each month.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.