Denver suburban area sales prices vs appraisals?

Denver suburban area sales prices vs appraisals?

Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes

I'm wondering if those who have made deals in the last 3-4 months in the Denver suburban area are finding that sales prices and appraised values are way off. My impression (as an inexperienced investor spending a boat load of time looking at MLS results and listings) is that the frenzy for buying properties has been driving up sales prices (folks paying well over asking costs in some cases) and possibly inflating asking prices as well. I have heard that about 1/3 of the offers/deals fall through - maybe that is typical across the country - and I'm wondering if that is due to any one factor over another, including discrepancies between offers and appraisals.

I am currently waiting on an appraisal with the clear feeling that I am going to be looking at a low appraisal. However, due to our escalation clause and stated willingness to pay x-amount over appraised value, I'm getting more nervous as the days go by. 

@Brandon Turner recommended we take action. So, I did! After 3 rejected deals, I landed one. Apparently it's OK to screw up on your first deal - so I'm expecting that to happen, but hoping the appraisers are stepping up values as home prices go through the roof!

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Somerset, PA · Member since 2015 · 103 posts · 24 votes
10y
I'm seeing a bunch of homes that AREN'T appraising for what the contract price is, but most of these buyers seem to be happy to just pay the difference and still close. This market is crazy
See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Somerset, PA · Member since 2015 · 103 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    I'm seeing a bunch of homes that AREN'T appraising for what the contract price is, but most of these buyers seem to be happy to just pay the difference and still close. This market is crazy
  • Dan MackinBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Erie, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 512 votes
    10y

    The appraisals are still seeming like a bit of black magic at this time. It can be the difference of a few days to dramatically modify the final value. It all depends right now on what is showing right when the appraiser is looking. If you have a place UC that has some easily verifiable comps then you can easily guess what the appraiser is going to do. If it's a very unique property it can be anyone's guess. You can always refute the appraisal value if you can find valid proof of some mis-valued comps in the report. I've done it before to bring the value up to where it was supposed to be. Again though, they have their system and sometimes they just "conveniently" come in right at the value you need. Amazing how it works out like that...

    With your escalation clause that shouldn't affect you too much at this point, unless you're saying it's already caused you to be much higher than you originally hoped. If you did the numbers right on this deal then even the appraisal discrepancy coverage shouldn't plummet your numbers. 

    Biggest thing is that if it comes in low, go over it with a fine tooth comb to see what you can get them to change. Could be worth thousands to you!

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Thanks a bunch, @Dan Mackin - your advice is always clear, concise. It is tempting - despite warnings - to speculate on what properties will be worth in 6 months to a year. However, since we offered $14K over asking which was $199000 (invoking the escalation) I am set to reject the final deal with an appraisal that falls below the difference we stated we were willing to make up... unless the buyer will come down to that amount, of course. I think I have learned, otherwise, that beginning an investment "career" should not be done in April, May, or June. I kind of knew that, but got a little overly impatient.

    @Joshua Meyers I'm seeing plenty of properties selling anywhere from a few thousand to $25 K over asking without knowing what the appraisals were -- so I was wondering!  I've lost out on a 10K under offer (embarrassing attempt for here in Denver), a cash offer of 6K over, and a 25K over with escalation clause. Apparently it was a "tie", but our stated reluctance to make up any sizable difference in appraised value left us short on that deal. (Dodged a bullet on that one, I think) Then I ask myself - just because some are willing to do it, does that make it a wise choice?  (A fair analogy might be following the herd of cattle over the cliff.) An experience investor will likely see when to back off.  As a new investor I don't want to go too far off the path (or close to the edge, whatever that is). 

    Given the largely terrible rent/purchase-price ratio we are seeing in these suburbs (some worse than others) - I figure that in the case of our current pending purchase, I would have to hang onto this property a bit until either rents go up or property values rise to a level that justifies fix and flip or BRRRR. However, since we can use this as a "2nd home" for the short term to justify the uncertain status of its investment potential (with a family member paying low rent to cover costs) we can pretend this is house hacking to convince ourselves we have launched!

    It will be another few weeks until our appraisal comes through - thanks for the feedback, all!

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Patricia Miller I had a deal with an escalation clause and an appraisal clause. The buyers paid $10K over appraisal and covered the difference ($345,000 sale price). I had three offers at or near their purchase price and all with similar clauses. I can't see where that wasn't the value/market for that property but the appraiser didn't see it that way. 

    Personally I don't see why people pay retail for anything but Wal-Mart goods. When you shop where everyone shops you pay what everyone pays give or take a few dollars.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    If you are worried about an appraisal next time, make sure to leave comps for the appraiser and a narrative to the extra features the home may have. The appraiser may or may not look, but it certainly helps. 

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Being new to this, I may not have been clear about my concerns in the post. I am the buyer, not the seller. My concern is that I have made an offer that is far over the value of the home via the escalation clause. Part of me is hoping the appraisal comes far under so that I can negotiate with the seller to lower the price (or I walk away and start all over again) and part of me hopes it appraises near value so I can feel justified in putting a little more into the property (2003 build with no remodeling) to make it more attractive for a future sale or rental. If a lot of sales are happening far over appraised values, I'm wondering how that is going to play out in the future. The population influx and housing shortage in Denver will keep things afloat for awhile, I'm guessing.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hey @Patricia Miller glad you made the jump! :)

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    Working with sellers we always prefer contracts with an escalation clause to also have appraisal protection. I listed a property for one of my clients and the highest offer was $30,000 over list price. I am curious to see what it appraises for. The buyers signed an escalation clause to fully guarantee the contract price.  In most cases the appraisal protection is more like 1% or 2% of the list price but it all depends on how badly you want the property. If it appraises for less the seller can choose contact one of the other buyers and walk away if you are not willing to pay the difference.  If the appraisal is lower than contract price you enter into some intense negotiations to try and keep the deal alive. 

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Kevin Grinstead. I would be interested to know how yours works out. The Denver market is insane. In our case, we had the escalation clause that brought us to $213K from an asking price of $199K with 20% down. Turns out the competing offer was $212K with appraisal protection of 10K. As for our appraisal clause, we said we would make up the difference up to $20K (cash) from the appraised value to maintain the original loan arrangement - and I'm assuming that was the difference between the contract price of $213K and appraised value. If I understand this correctly, if the appraisal comes in at $192K, we can walk away as that would be $21K over contract price. There is something very unsettling about buying something for a price that is more than $20K over appraised value - even in Denver. Can we assume that these property values are going to continue to skyrocket??? Also, everything in the property is original and will need replacing in the near future. I don't have the experience to know if new furnace/water heater/windows/appliances would alter the appraised value to make this a rational deal under these circumstances.

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y

    @Patricia Miller The properties ability to appraise has everything to do with the listing agent. If the listing agent meets the appraiser at the property - with comps and the other 10 offers in hand showing more than one was willing to go up to $212k and cover an appraisal difference, there is a pretty good argument the value is above the $199k the property was listed for. I do understand you are the buyer on this one - but you are directly effected at how good the listing agent is at selling the value.

    What does stand out to me is that you are willing to put 20% down and make up $20k in appraisal if needed - looking at putting upwards of $60k down on a house that needs rehabbed? Unless you have more money than you know what to do with - or love the area to live there- I have to tell you that there are better deals out there, not as easy to find as the MLS but they are available.

    You mentioned you wouldn't mind if this one fell apart to start over, if you really feel that way then blow it up and move on.

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the advice @Travis Sperr - your points are well taken. The condo is cosmetically in good shape; it's just that at 13 years, I know there is work to be done at some point in the not-too-distant-future to update. The HOA seems to be in decent financial shape from what I can tell and, yes, I'm willing to live there at least for the short term (maybe even a year or 2) to see how things progress in Denver before either selling it or renting it. I am from the east coast with my current home going on the market within a few weeks and even though I know that one can do REI from a long distance - as a hands-on person, that approach doesn't appeal to me. (Plus, we want to live in CO and we would need to land somewhere to get started!) It's also clear that MLS deals in my current price range are either hidden from view or non existent. I will need to learn how to find them in Denver via other means or look in different areas.

    Anyway, a low appraisal will terminate this effort. Comps in the area go both ways so it's hard to tell what will happen. (Side note, a property in this small complex with an additional 150 sq ft and a 2nd bathroom just listed at $260 - that seems crazy!)

  • Dan MackinBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Erie, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 512 votes
    10y

    @Patricia Miller I'd be curious to see your numbers on that unit and what you expect from it. I'm almost positive there are better deals in the area based on what you have posted. Even ones that can get offers accepted. Plus, you're lucky only having 4 offers denied prior :-)

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    Hi Patricia, We have a full appraisal protection and the buyers went for it. We will see what happens through the process. The seller's agent is the one that will help protect your out of pocket expense like Travis said. I am planning on doing everything I can to meet the appraiser and show them the other offers that we received. There are deals even in the MLS but most people are jumping on them quickly. There are other ways to look at MLS to get a better deal and also, of course finding deals yourself can make the process easier and cheaper. A good realtor can help you find deals from people that haven't already listed and can maybe assist you and themselves in finding a deal that can benefit all parties.

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hello @Dan Mackin - I don't expect much from this property - any 2/1 condo I can find rents for don't exceed $1500 and are often even far under that - except for in some of the more pricey areas. So if the purchase price today is around 2K - this is not a cash flow property. Will rents catch up anytime soon? I would probably be foolish to expect that. Because the property is in pretty good shape, albeit with older appliances/finishes there might be a possibility that in a year or so, some upgrades could produce a small profit if the trend continues with rising property values as it has in the Denver area for the past few years.  Meanwhile, I could have a place to live to see how it plays out.

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Update: Appraisal has come in at $212K - just $1K under contract price, $13K over list price. And so it goes in Denver. @Kevin Grinstead @Travis Sperr @Dan Mackin @Bill S. @Joshua Meyers

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    nice. Sounds like the craziness we deal with everyday 

  • Investor · Gulfport, MS · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    Why not pay $0 out of pocket for the price difference? Renovation Loans can be an excellent solution to a low appraisal...many people are simply unaware that the solution exists...we'll actually be rolling out a free online CE course very soon for Colorado Agents (and anyone else that wants to attend) titled Understand Renovation Loans. If you have questions about options specifically related to your situation, just inbox me :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.