Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lee
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Votes |
Opinion: Slab-Style Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Jeff Lee
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Posted Sep 11 2014, 13:44

I'll be putting in custom kitchen cabinets on a home that I just closed. (Though I may sell it somewhere down the road.)

What is your opinion on the style of door used? I have a real bias toward slab-style doors. Something about the flat design with a bar handle looks great to me.

1. Would doing this affect (+/-) the selling price?

2. How do homeowners or people in general view this preference?

3. Is there any issues I should be aware of if I go this route?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Weaner
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Yardley, PA
Replied Sep 11 2014, 17:52

Well, personally, I don't like those. They look like Formica to me, and would not put them in my house. However, I really don't prefer the contemporary look.

User Stats

Votes
Jean Bolger
Pro Member
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Aurora, CO
Replied Sep 11 2014, 18:12

I do like these. As far as resale value, I don't know if there's a definite plus or minus. I would think it's just a matter of taste- some people like the more modern look and some people like old stuff.  If the rest of the house is reasonably modern in style I think it would be fine. What's weird is when you see a "modern" style house with a "french country" kitchen. Anyhow, since it seems it's going to be your house for a while, I'd say just do what you want!

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lee
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Replied Sep 11 2014, 20:44

@Jean Bolger I should've used a different photo. (I assume the one depicted is the 'french country.') I would prefer any of the two below: (probably the lighter colored one)

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Samuel
  • Rehabber
  • North Haven, CT
Votes |
  • Rehabber
  • North Haven, CT
Replied Sep 11 2014, 20:58

Jeff Lee I think that if you have a very modern style house, the flat faced cabinets would work. Personally, I think they are ugly though and I would never consider putting them in any of my flips. I, for the most part, always use the shaker style cabinets(the dark cabinets in the second picture) in my flips. I've used white, antique white, and espresso shaker style cabinets, all with positive feedback from buyers. I really like the way shaker cabinets look because they are simple and clean looking, not to mention affordable.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lee
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Replied Sep 11 2014, 21:05

@Kyle Samuel What merchants sell shaker style cabinets? I, too, like the second picture and I would welcome them, especially if they're cheaper than custom-made cabinets.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Samuel
  • Rehabber
  • North Haven, CT
Votes |
  • Rehabber
  • North Haven, CT
Replied Sep 11 2014, 21:12

@Jeff Lee I have used Fabuwood cabinets on a few flips. They are a Chinese company, I think they run around $140/linear foot. Which I would imagine would be much cheaper than custom cabinets. My cabinet installer says they are nicer than a lot of other cabinets that cost twice as much..

User Stats

Votes
Richard C.
  • Bedford, NH
Votes |
  • Bedford, NH
Replied Sep 11 2014, 21:13

Pretty much all manufacturers have a shaker line. I have Kraftmade shaker cabinets in my house, and put Hampton Bay cabinets from Home Depot in my last rehab. Really not bad cabinets at all. I think simpler styles work better when dealing with cheaper cabinets.

User Stats

Votes
David Frandsen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Sep 11 2014, 22:34

@Jeff Lee I think the real question is "what will sell the house in your area?" There are so many different tastes out there. Figure out what is selling in your area and go with something similar. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lee
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bossier City, LA
Replied Sep 11 2014, 23:41

Does anyone have any opinion on a location other than Home Depot to buy kitchen cabinets? I'd like to have a balance of cost and quality. (Maybe HD has it and I haven't found it.)

User Stats

Votes
Phil Z.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orange, CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orange, CT
Replied Sep 11 2014, 23:50

That is a common Modern Asian design.  I think it would look stunning with very very dark cabinets and stainless pulls.  It would have to go with the style of the property tho.. either an urban building (i.e. NYC apartment) or a Modern Contemporary style home.

User Stats

Votes
Kathleen Leary
  • Princeton, KS
Votes |
  • Princeton, KS
Replied Sep 16 2014, 06:00

This is what I have in my own home (put in by previous owner). They are solid oak with slightly chamfered edges rather than the sharp 90-degree in the photos. In my opinion, they certainly aren't trendy, but they aren't going to look dated in 20 years, either.

Changing out the hardware can really update a kitchen, rather than re-doing all the cabinetry. A plainer front won't interfere with other design elements you may have.