Question on a Hard Money Loan For a 2nd Mortgage

Question on a Hard Money Loan For a 2nd Mortgage

Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 103 posts · 19 votes

A realtor friend asked me if I'd be interested in making a hard money loan to an investor he does not know at all -- and who wants to use the funds for a project in Panama. 

The reason he won't get a traditional hard money loan is because "his 1st mortgage that he's ad since 1996 is for $141K and at 2.9% and he doesn't want to sign it away to a hard money lender who will demand to be named on the first mortgage"

He will give me a 2nd loan on his property in Austin where the LTV is about 61% and pay a few points higher than a traditional hard money loan. The loan amount is wants is $180K. 1st mtg is $141K. Fair market value is about $530K

He's looking for a 6 month loan.

I've never done a loan of this type before and am curious:

1) does this sound fishy?

2) how do I protect myself (as far as what type of documentation should I demand to see, what should I be named on, etc.)?

3) Other than running a title, how else can I be sure there are no other encumbrances on that property?

4) any other caveats or red flag warnings I should be noticing?

5) anything else I should be asking?

6) run far away and as fast as I can ... or is this a decent opportunity?

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2012 · 397 posts · 187 votes
12y
Robert Piller So, I've never been the bank, but I've used private and hard money many times. Here is what I think my guy would say... 1. So, you don't know the borrower who wants these funds? Hmm ... 2. And you want $150k ish on a second mortgage not on the subject property in PANAMA. Hmm 3. And the buyer owns a half million dollar pad and can't get a HELOC on it from a normal banking institution for peanuts interest rate and points wise. 4. No thanks.
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2012 · 397 posts · 187 votes
    12y
    Robert Piller So, I've never been the bank, but I've used private and hard money many times. Here is what I think my guy would say... 1. So, you don't know the borrower who wants these funds? Hmm ... 2. And you want $150k ish on a second mortgage not on the subject property in PANAMA. Hmm 3. And the buyer owns a half million dollar pad and can't get a HELOC on it from a normal banking institution for peanuts interest rate and points wise. 4. No thanks.
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 103 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Nathan Brooks Funny--my gut was asking the same thing on all 4 points. Usually too good to be true spells trouble.  

    I was wondering if I was missing something.

    Thanks for the fast reply.

  • Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2012 · 397 posts · 187 votes
    12y

    @Robert Piller absolutely man ... on to the next!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 103 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Nathan Brooks 

     And there is always a better NEXT out there.  Thanks.

  • Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2012 · 397 posts · 187 votes
    12y

    @Robert Piller too funny ... check out my blog from today.  So funny this is our conversation! 

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/09/03/art-saying-house-literally-kill-somebody/

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 103 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Nathan Brooks  -- timely and very true. Thanks for sharing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.