What should I offer on this off-market multi-family lead?

What should I offer on this off-market multi-family lead?

Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes

I have an off-market lead on a mixed multi-family property in Harrisburg, PA. Unit has 5 residential units and a retail beauty salon. Owner self manages and wants to retire and move out of the area. Owner is asking for 750k, though valuation from my calculations is about 736k. Their realtor previously suggested 800k listing price. Harrisburg is a flat population and hasnt grown in the past 15-20 years. Owner will consider seller financing. I've calculated possible 700k loan and 50k down as a hypothetical and get just about breakeven cashflow after debt service.  Owner states they've kept rents low to avoid paying additional taxes (but we know thats BS). He does have some long term tenants that he has not raised to keep up with market. There is some value add through renovating unrenovated units and increasing rents, but just a smidge... This would be a out of state deal for me so I Would be having it professionally managed, but oversee it remotely.

What would you offer on it given the cashflow or NOI shown below? I wouldnt buy it at 750k because it doesnt cashflow, but wondering what you would do. Could I buy it with the breakeven, increase rent, re-stabilize and then force appreciation and then flip/sell?

here are the image links:

https://ibb.co/yg13vLW 

https://ibb.co/C0VxMTL

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 159 posts · 82 votes
4y

It's not a crazy sellers' market in Harrisburg like it was 6-12 months ago. I'd offer 675k, but be willing to go to 700k. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 159 posts · 82 votes
    4y

    It's not a crazy sellers' market in Harrisburg like it was 6-12 months ago. I'd offer 675k, but be willing to go to 700k. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joe Chirdon:

    It's not a crazy sellers' market in Harrisburg like it was 6-12 months ago. I'd offer 675k, but be willing to go to 700k. 


    I would be around $575k. I got that from looking at the NOI and would want an 8 cap in a market like that. Any savings on costs or increase in rent you should be the one who gets that.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Central PA (Harrisubrg, Hershey) · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    Vacancy and maintenance are difficult to predict on a city property like this. Also depending on the exact address, it might be difficult to attract high quality tenants. I recommend that you are VERY aggressive with your offer. I would probably be even lower than Chris Seveney. If you don't get it... there's always anonther one!

  • MD · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 37 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Endress:

    Vacancy and maintenance are difficult to predict on a city property like this. Also depending on the exact address, it might be difficult to attract high quality tenants. I recommend that you are VERY aggressive with your offer. I would probably be even lower than Chris Seveney. If you don't get it... there's always anonther one!

    I am onboard with this. I have several sfh and multifamily props in Harrisburg and pay around 40k per unit with an average rent of $800 per unit. I’ve followed the 2% rule and done ok with cashflow. Maintenance, capex, and school taxes are my biggest expenses.
  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jeff Bridges Just adding, check your 5% interest rate - is that for sure? Owner occupied SFH go for 5.25%ish currently, so that's low for a multi family commercial place. Of course, it's seller financing so definitely negotiable. One commercial loan I have is getting close to 7% these days :(

  • Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Tom S.:

    @Jeff Bridges Just adding, check your 5% interest rate - is that for sure? Owner occupied SFH go for 5.25%ish currently, so that's low for a multi family commercial place. Of course, it's seller financing so definitely negotiable. One commercial loan I have is getting close to 7% these days :(


    Oh I know:) thanks for noting.... i've negotiated seller financing before, and I'll present several options to include interest rate. I think if he wants a certain asking price, then he needs to be more flexible on other terms like interest rate. but yea. I need to know if its a non-starter first at any interest rate.
  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jeff Bridges  Great to hear about your experience with negotiating the SF in the past.  Wishing you good luck on this potential deal!

    - Tom

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.