Movie Mansion - Smokies STR

Movie Mansion - Smokies STR

Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 15 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $900,000
Cash invested: $135,000

The cash flow and equity from my other two house-hacks allowed me to buy this 5bed/5bath in the Great Smoky Mountains. It's 5-10 mins from downtown Gatlinburg, has a movie theatre and a hot tub. The interior was green and had old pictures when I bought it - hired a designer to make it modern and stand out!

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Ability to purchase with a 10% down vacation home loan allowed me to juice up my cash-on-cash returns, depreciation and principal pay-down.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Worked with the Short Term Shop - my agent Derek Tellier found this on the MLS - it had been sitting there for 60 days in a red hot market due to poor listing presentation and being cosmetically outdated. Put in an offer $25k under list with no competition. Negotiated some sell credits to closing costs based on inspection report.

How did you finance this deal?

10% down vacation home loan through Parker Borofsky.

How did you add value to the deal?

Cosmetic rehab throughout - new paint, decorations, kitchenware, furniture, etc.

What was the outcome?

It has been a wild ride in the short term rental market, but I'm hoping to level out with $2,000 a month in cash flow - some months have been better, some have been worse.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Balance having a clear scope of work with trusting in your designer.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Movement Mortgage was a great mortage lender - I worked with Rob who was fantastic.
Derek Tellier was my agent and knows his way around the STR markets - though I believe he is in the Gulf Shores now.

4Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Yonah WeissPro Member
Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

Congrats @David Lyons! Looks like an awesome property! @Derek Tellier & the STS team are the best.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Congrats @David Lyons! Looks like an awesome property! @Derek Tellier & the STS team are the best.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 220 posts · 107 votes
    4y

    Ah yeah, the movie mansion. Nice. I thought about doing the same thing when I saw that listing. Glad you pulled the trigger and I think you will do well with the upgrades. That chalet has a theme which will set it apart from the rest. Very cool.

    I was going to go all out on the movie theme. Put in a huge projection screen and a big sound system and bill it at as the best movie experience in the smokys.   The moment they walk in it feels like a movie theater… but a luxury feel with movie memorabilia everywhere for an in-depth experience.  From what I hear, themed properties are killing it these days.   Either way, I think you’ll do well.
      

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Congrats on the property! We're under contract for a property in the Smokies via the STS. Would you mind sharing your designer contact?

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Wow, nice @David Lyons ! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 15 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Chang:

    Congrats on the property! We're under contract for a property in the Smokies via the STS. Would you mind sharing your designer contact?


     Hey Michael.  I would not recommend my designer.   I pulled off the project, but it was significantly delayed, obligations not fulfilled and I had to finish it myself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.