Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Local Real Estate Networking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eric S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Concord, NH
Votes |
Central Connecticut Strategy?

Eric S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Concord, NH
Posted

Hello and thanks in advance for anyone willing to respond to this. After swallowing some lumps thanks to one thread I posted back in April, I should (crossed fingers, no blown furnaces or sheard off roofs) be in a good position next year to reinvest.

This is hopefully not a beat the dead horse, "where is the best cash flow in X" post, more of a strategy question for anyone who knows the market in CT.

Here is what my limited knowledge/intuition tells me: Waterbury, Bridgeport, parts of Hartford cash flow best because of the inherent risk, lower fairfield county cash flows worst (today) because of NYC effect on price/rent, and there is an in-between SOMEWHERE.

I think that somewhere is in the central part of the state between route 8 and 91 north of new haven, east of waterbury. I also am focusing here because its not far from me ;)

My question is has anyone had success in this area and if so, what strategy has it been? Again in my limited knowledge it seems like multi-family has the better numbers but I could be wrong. I'm basing what I see off the 1% rule for SFH, and cap rate values based on 50% rule for multi-family.

Again thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Deasy
Lender
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Replied

@Eric S. new britain. that is your answer. i invest there. i spent my whole life in CT besides the last few years. i know the area well. i own a few multi-family properties there currently. i went CCSU in new britain and lived in the town for 10 years. its an incredible source of cash flow and, in my opinion, the current mayor is doing all the right things. i actually see growth happening in that town, compared to the rest of CT that is struggling. happy to help in any way i can. just let me know!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Doherty
  • Real Estate Agent
  • West Hartford, Ct
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • West Hartford, Ct
Replied

@Eric S. Ryan is absolutely right- New Britain is a great area to invest in cash flowing property, I also invest there. I don't like Hartford for a few reasons- rules and regulations being placed are not in favor of landlords, that coupled with high property tax is what turns me off. I would also consider areas like Bristol, Middletown, East Hartford and Manchester. I own property in these towns as well. New Britain still has the best cash flow for MF however. 

I have had success, flipping, BRRRR'ing and house hacking in all these towns so any strategy could work. If your looking for someone to help navigate the areas (New Britain and Middletown are very street by street dependent) let me know. Feel free to send me a DM to discuss further!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eric S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Concord, NH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Concord, NH
Replied

@Ryan Deasy and @Michael Doherty

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. I will do some digging and learn more about New Britain as I really have only been there a couple times. It's totally within my "range of comfort" as far as distance from me. I will at some point for sure hit both of you up with questions.

Thanks again .

User Stats

Votes
Craig Bellot
  • Property Manager
  • Connecticut
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Connecticut
Replied

The strategy there as in all CT towns is to do the market research on the town, which companies are moving in?  Look at population trends.  Are more people moving in than out?

Subscribe to the business journal in that area to keep abreast of local business developments.

User Stats

Votes
James McGovern
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bloomfield CT
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bloomfield CT
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Deasy:

@Eric S. new britain. that is your answer. i invest there. i spent my whole life in CT besides the last few years. i know the area well. i own a few multi-family properties there currently. i went CCSU in new britain and lived in the town for 10 years. its an incredible source of cash flow and, in my opinion, the current mayor is doing all the right things. i actually see growth happening in that town, compared to the rest of CT that is struggling. happy to help in any way i can. just let me know!

Erin Stewart the mayor is a rockstar.