Votes
Trey Goodwin
  • Frisco, TX
Votes |
Lubbock, TX General Contractors and PM

Trey Goodwin
  • Frisco, TX
Posted Jul 8 2018, 09:50
Lubbock investors - I wanted to see if there were any investors out there with recommendations for a good, investor friendly general contractor and property manager? I have secured financing through a local bank and looking to grab a fixer upper rental SFH. I live in the DFW area but have family in Lubbock that will help me being boots on the ground. I have been researching and learning the Lubbock market and it seems that 1-1.5% is definitely achievable, even off MLS properties. Would like any local advice and recommendations I can get!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Rendall
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Midland, TX
Votes |
  • Midland, TX
Replied Jul 9 2018, 05:26

@Trey Goodwin glad to hear you are going to be investing in Lubbock, that is where I invest as well. My other properties so far have been light rehabs but I'll be starting a significant rehab on a property soon. If the property turns out well I will recommend the GC I'm using (assuming he wants additional work, he seems pretty swamped). I can't recommend any property managers because I self manage right now.

A word of advice on Lubbock - I would be cautious of properties that give you 1.5%, they are generally not in good areas. The Lubbock market is a little slow right now due to overbuilding of new multifamily so you want to make sure that you buy in desirable areas or you may be waiting a long time to get your property rented (or worse, get bad tenants). This last house I bought was in a desirable area and sat on the market for 2 months before being rented. Just my personal experience.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Chinworth
  • Realtor
  • Granbury, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Granbury, TX
Replied Jul 9 2018, 09:39

My wife and I are also out of town investors, live in New Braunfels and invest in Lubbock. Her family lives there and are a great asset as boot on the ground. We just got back yesterday from meeting with our new PM company, Location Rentals. So far I have been impressed with their professionalism and  the systems they have in place. If needed, I can tell you what PM company we are washing our hands of. 

Our first handful of deals did not really have a value add component but we both realize that is the next logical step. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Corey Zant
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Jul 10 2018, 08:38

The struggle is real. Reputable full service contractors are hard to find. There's a lot of people that can do the work, don't get me wrong...but few are competent enough to do it right for a decent price. I've gotten nickled and dimed, had sub-par work, and had people outright steal from me. Moral of the story-- you get what you pay for.

Don't ever pay up front. Get a contract. Pay for materials yourself if they ask for money for supplies. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Martin
  • Tahoka, TX
Votes |
  • Tahoka, TX
Replied Jul 12 2018, 23:55

@Corey Zant. Wise words that are all too familiar.

User Stats

Votes
Cassi Justiz
  • Edmond, OK
Votes |
  • Edmond, OK
Replied Jul 19 2018, 14:48

Hi Trey, 

I used to live in Lubbock and have property there that is managed by Location Rentals. The property manager I use is great. I signed on with her when she was with another company that merged with Location Rentals. I'm not sure if she is taking on additional clients, but I would be happy to give you her name. 

User Stats

Votes
John Claborn
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Jul 24 2018, 14:49

I can speak for the character of Location rentals. I go to church with Dan, and he has partnered with some great people. Susan Backus is an insurance client of ours, and they are great people as well. I think that would be a great resource for property management in the local area.

User Stats

Votes
Shannon Ueunten
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 10 2024, 07:22

I know this is an old post but wondering if anyone has a good contactor in Lubbock.