Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sean A Lewis
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Does my property value increase after adding ADU's, thus allowing me to refi?

Sean A Lewis
  • Los Angeles
Posted

Hey all,

My name is Sean. I've been listening to the bigger pockets podcast for approx 3 years now, and was finally able to pull the trigger and finance my first multifamily property. The reason I am posting is because I've received some contradicting information about the ability to refi my property after adding ADU's. To provide some background here, my wife and i recently purchased a triplex that has an existing 500 sq.ft attached storage unit (conditioned space) and a detached 5-car garage. We purchased this property because of all the intrinsic potential it possesses. The intent is to convert the storage unit into a J-ADU, and the 5-car garage into two new detached ADU's. All three units will be funded by us - no loans. I was told by some of my clients that by adding these ADU's, my property value will not increase and I will not be able to get my money back out through a refi. I was also told by some of my clients that my property value will increase, and I will be able to get most of my money back out through a refi. So my questions to you all is as follows:

- By adding these ADU's to my property, will I be increasing my property value?

- Will I be able to pull my money back out after adding these units? (heloc or refi)

I am an engineer by trade, and own my own comapny (AHAE Designs Inc). I have designed many ADU's for many multifamily lots in the LA County area. I have a stong feeling that my clients would not be adding ADU's to their properties if they were not able to get their monies back out to keep investing. I look forward to your resonses. If you have any information that can potentially be useful to my case, please reach out to me directly. Thanks in advance experts.

a

Loading replies...