Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Emmanuel Ola
Votes |
0.4 acre lot. What should I build for best ROI

Emmanuel Ola
Posted Jun 15 2024, 14:49

Hello,

My wife and I recently ventured into real estate investment and have acquired a 0.4-acre lot in a Bakersfield, within an R2-zoned area, Oleander Sunset. This zoning allows for single-family homes, duplexes, and other medium-density multifamily residential uses, with a maximum density of sixteen (16) dwelling units per net acre.

We're seeking advice on how to maximize the potential ROI of our lot. Specifically, we're exploring whether constructing a duplex and triplex or two duplexes would be the most profitable option. We welcome any suggestions or insights you may have

Additionally, if anyone has information on the approximate cost of building a duplex and triplex in California, we would greatly appreciate your input.

To provide context, neighboring properties in our area offer insights into the local housing market. On one side, there's a 5-bedroom, 3-bath home spanning 2105 sqft (total lot. 0.40 acre), valued at approximately $341K. On the other side, a 3-bedroom, 2-bath home measuring 1600 sqft is valued at around $300K (total lot: 0.41 acre), according to Zillow. Homes in this area typically sell between $250K and $350K. Most residences are single-family homes under 1500 sqft, with generous lot sizes ranging from 7,000 sqft to 0.5 acres for some properties.

Interestingly, despite ample space, vacant lots in this area remain undeveloped with no additional units added. The majority of existing houses were built in the 1930s, contributing to the unique character of the neighborhood. This area is notably affordable compared to others in the city, with property values experiencing significant appreciation—increasing by 100% over the past 7 years.

Thank you for any insights or advice you can provide.

Loading replies...