Do not trust a video cure of a house!

Do not trust a video cure of a house!

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Have you ever noticed that people can send you a picture of themselves and then when you see them in person you think they look a way different?
I recently dodged a bullet. A seller that I had bought from prior to had sent us a property they were trying to assign the contract for.
I was out of state on a trip and so my sweet wife was the one handling most of the talking with the Wholesaler.

We put down $2500 and moved forward with the deal because the numbers made sense and the video look good. 

When I get back in town, I go and look at the property and it has major foundation issues and needed a whole new central heating and air and ductwork.   it basically needs a major overhaul. 

So for all practical purposes, when the dust clears, I would be buying at full retail, if not more.  

So my advice to anyone that would care to hear it is, do not buy a property based upon a video since a video will not exactly show you foundation issues, and other things that only being in person can help with.
I was more than happy to walk away from my $2500 earnest money instead of buying such a rat trap. 

I will be more diligent going forward when it comes to looking at properties in person, especially if it’s a person that has an interest at stake and are willing to pull a fast one on me.

9Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Joe S.:

Have you ever noticed that people can send you a picture of themselves and then when you see them in person you think they look a way different?

That is the mission statement for social media.
See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    Far too often we see investors buy properties out of state believing an agent, property manager or wholesaler they it’s a good buy.

    If you are buying a property, it is critical that you get eyes on that property

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Joe S. we take a lot of videos for our OOS clients.

    We ALWAYS state it's just a part of the process and a professional inspection should always be done.

    Depending on the quality & thoroughness of a Video Evaluation, this should be all an investor needs.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Smythe:

    @Joe S. we take a lot of videos for our OOS clients.

    We ALWAYS state it's just a part of the process and a professional inspection should always be done.

    Depending on the quality & thoroughness of a Video Evaluation, this should be all an investor needs.


     Maybe your videos are more obvious than this guys, but for me I’m a little leery of videos going forward.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    Videos and even still Pics only show what the photographer wants them to show. Absolutely get your boots in the house....

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Smythe:

    @Joe S. we take a lot of videos for our OOS clients.

    We ALWAYS state it's just a part of the process and a professional inspection should always be done.

    Depending on the quality & thoroughness of a Video Evaluation, this should be all an investor needs.

    So you said, a professional inspection should always be done, and you take a lot of videos for your out-of-state investors.
    Does the out-of-state investor have an option to have a professional inspection done?
  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Joe S.You should always be contingent upon a 7-10 day inspection period. 

     Only time I would waive inspection is if you're buying a deal way below market value. 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Samuel Diouf:

    @Joe S.You should always be contingent upon a 7-10 day inspection period. 

     Only time I would waive inspection is if you're buying a deal way below market value. 

    I don’t know any wholesalers or wholesaling outfits that would allow an inspection clause. 

  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Almost every off-market deal I've worked on has had an inspection. 

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    I can't imagine buying a house, even a $50K one somewhere in the country, sight unseen. At least not until I've done dozens and dozens of similar deals in that market, and just know it like the back of my hand. 

    Glad you escaped on this one. Many investors who buy sight unseen won't be so lucky. 

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Joe S. are you reading what we wrote?  

    Here it is again, underlined and bolded to attract your attention!

    "We ALWAYS state <video> it's just a part of the process and a professional inspection should always be done."

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I love guys like this wholesaler you're describing.

    There's a ton of money to be made by simply being honest, transparent, and straight forward.

    It's really that easy. And we have folks like this to thank for it.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Have you ever noticed that people can send you a picture of themselves and then when you see them in person you think they look a way different?

    That is the mission statement for social media.
  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Anyone who is willing to sink hundreds of thousands of dollars into an asset based on a photo deserves whatever they get. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    In my experience, FSBOs are notorious for bad photos.

    My $0.02 ...

  • Realtor · Grand Rapids Area · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    The old saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words” has lost its relevance in today’s world. From my current real estate experience the new saying should be “a picture of a thousand lies”. Eyes on the ground will save you headaches/hard lessons/disasters. Your $2,500 was your tuition for a class in the College of Hard Knocks. Congrats on being smart enough to walk away from the deal and putting it down as a learning experience. I think you earned an ‘A’ for the class. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Have you ever noticed that people can send you a picture of themselves and then when you see them in person you think they look a way different?
    I recently dodged a bullet. A seller that I had bought from prior to had sent us a property they were trying to assign the contract for.
    I was out of state on a trip and so my sweet wife was the one handling most of the talking with the Wholesaler.

    When I still like to browse Roofstock I examine each home property report and statistically, 7 out of 10 homes are having problem with foundation/electric/plumbing.

    Property inspection helped a lot especially when the inspector is good.

    Thanks,

  • Rental Property Investor · Knightdale, NC · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Have you ever noticed that people can send you a picture of themselves and then when you see them in person you think they look a way different?
    I recently dodged a bullet. A seller that I had bought from prior to had sent us a property they were trying to assign the contract for.
    I was out of state on a trip and so my sweet wife was the one handling most of the talking with the Wholesaler.

    We put down $2500 and moved forward with the deal because the numbers made sense and the video look good. 

    When I get back in town, I go and look at the property and it has major foundation issues and needed a whole new central heating and air and ductwork.   it basically needs a major overhaul. 

    So for all practical purposes, when the dust clears, I would be buying at full retail, if not more.  

    So my advice to anyone that would care to hear it is, do not buy a property based upon a video since a video will not exactly show you foundation issues, and other things that only being in person can help with.
    I was more than happy to walk away from my $2500 earnest money instead of buying such a rat trap. 

    I will be more diligent going forward when it comes to looking at properties in person, especially if it’s a person that has an interest at stake and are willing to pull a fast one on me.

    That is one of the reasons I’ve been reluctant to buy anything out of state. Others at times aren’t aware of what you’re looking for and are more focused on the monetary gains.
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Have you ever noticed that people can send you a picture of themselves and then when you see them in person you think they look a way different?
    I recently dodged a bullet. A seller that I had bought from prior to had sent us a property they were trying to assign the contract for.
    I was out of state on a trip and so my sweet wife was the one handling most of the talking with the Wholesaler.

    We put down $2500 and moved forward with the deal because the numbers made sense and the video look good. 

    When I get back in town, I go and look at the property and it has major foundation issues and needed a whole new central heating and air and ductwork.   it basically needs a major overhaul. 

    So for all practical purposes, when the dust clears, I would be buying at full retail, if not more.  

    So my advice to anyone that would care to hear it is, do not buy a property based upon a video since a video will not exactly show you foundation issues, and other things that only being in person can help with.
    I was more than happy to walk away from my $2500 earnest money instead of buying such a rat trap. 

    I will be more diligent going forward when it comes to looking at properties in person, especially if it’s a person that has an interest at stake and are willing to pull a fast one on me.


     Videos can help give you a decent idea of the condition, but I always recommend getting a home inspection or having a noninterested third party view the property. Glad you dodged the bullet on this one Joe. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Have you ever noticed that people can send you a picture of themselves and then when you see them in person you think they look a way different?
    I recently dodged a bullet. A seller that I had bought from prior to had sent us a property they were trying to assign the contract for.
    I was out of state on a trip and so my sweet wife was the one handling most of the talking with the Wholesaler.

    We put down $2500 and moved forward with the deal because the numbers made sense and the video look good. 

    When I get back in town, I go and look at the property and it has major foundation issues and needed a whole new central heating and air and ductwork.   it basically needs a major overhaul. 

    So for all practical purposes, when the dust clears, I would be buying at full retail, if not more.  

    So my advice to anyone that would care to hear it is, do not buy a property based upon a video since a video will not exactly show you foundation issues, and other things that only being in person can help with.
    I was more than happy to walk away from my $2500 earnest money instead of buying such a rat trap. 

    I will be more diligent going forward when it comes to looking at properties in person, especially if it’s a person that has an interest at stake and are willing to pull a fast one on me.


     I always have my team walk it. I always have them take detailed videos, from bottom to top. When I sell/ flip I actually provide a " warranty" if there is a major issue, I will cover the cost.  So far after 10 years and 100s and 100s, I have never had to honor that warranty Whew LOL 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Suzanne Reinbold:

    The old saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words” has lost its relevance in today’s world. From my current real estate experience the new saying should be “a picture of a thousand lies”. Eyes on the ground will save you headaches/hard lessons/disasters. Your $2,500 was your tuition for a class in the College of Hard Knocks. Congrats on being smart enough to walk away from the deal and putting it down as a learning experience. I think you earned an ‘A’ for the class. 


     I’m glad I earned an “A” for the class.:)

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    2y

    @Joe S.

    Great lesson learned! I have lost a few EMD's because I put too much trust in the photos.

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.