Final Touches for a BRRRR - Range Hood, Central AC, GFCI Outlets

Final Touches for a BRRRR - Range Hood, Central AC, GFCI Outlets

Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes

Happy New Year to everyone! I recently closed on my first home purchase last November. It is a duplex in North Linden (growing C neighborhood) and I plan to cashout refi towards the end of the year. I am doing a full cosmetic renovation - interior paint, new bathroom, new kitchen. 

I have the option right now to try to add a ductless range hood. The attached picture shows the range is in a corner by itself with the doorbell above it directly in the middle. This sounds like it could be an expensive installation. I might need to relocate the door bell and need a new outlet up there. Maybe we can run an extension cord behind the wall down to the lower outlet.

I was thinking a range hood with a new floating cabinet could work there and a hole can be cut to place the cabinet over the door bell. My contractor said a new cabinet might not match the other cabinets we painted over. I also see wall mount range hoods like . I think this would look better, but it would require the door bell to be relocated. 

Would mismatched cabinets affect my appraisal value? Is this worth the additional costs for relocating the door bell and a new outlet? Maybe a range hood would look awkward in this corner, would that affect my appraisal value? I am really just prioritizing the appraisal value, I would appreciate any of your thoughts on this decision!   :)

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 102 votes
3y

Some good questions and I understand the long list of items on an inspection report can seem overwhelming at times but let's try to look at the big picture, and as you mentioned, for you that is the appraisal value.

Adding AC is always nice, but if it doesn't add enough value to recoup, then doesn't make sense, as an investor, to add; do the comps that you look at have central ac? if yes, then to reach that comp you'd probably want it, but if none of the comps do, it might be prudent to skip it. You can apply that principle to pretty much everything to determine your ARV.

Handrails are easy to install and safety concerns are real.

Mismatched cabinets are unlikely to affect appraisal. Broken cabinets might. 

I've never seen an appraiser check for GFCIs, but an inspector 100% will. Check out this short article on the differences between appraisers and inspectors

Speaking of GFCI's yes they are a safety feature and of course you want everything to be safe I commend that... but then you want to drop an extension cord behind a wall?! Perhaps you miss the irony in that that is a fire hazard waiting to happen.  Whether you mean inside the wall cavity, or permanently fixed down the wall, the concern is the same. Please, do not do that.

If you do choose to add a hood, I suggest you do it correctly (via an electrician). Whether or not the hood will add to your ARV is debatable. Also, a ductless hood would serve little purpose as that is a gas line in the picture. Gas combustion creates poisonous carbon monoxide which should be vented to the exterior, so you'd also need HVAC. A ductless vent would be more appropriate for an electric stove.

Anytime there is gas combustion in a home, please  at least make sure there is working carbon monoxide alarms present!

If it were me, I'd look into getting that switched for electric and installing the hood. That would be the safest way to bring it up to a modern standard. And since an electrician is already doing in there, moving the doorbell might not take the pro but a few moments, I wouldn't be concerned about that.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Some other things I am thinking about too, please let me know what you think:

    The property has central heating, and I am considering adding AC. My contractor is working on a quote, but she said the conversion to AC might be expensive. I am leaning towards still installing AC as this should help with the appraisal and also keep my tenants happy. 

    The inspector listed GFCI outlets in the kitchen/bathroom as an optional upgrade. Are GFCI outlets generally recommended? I would imagine this would not cost that much anyways. 

    Would you recommend installing step railings for 3-5 steps outside the front+back doors? Maybe adding railings are a good idea just to avoid any potential injuries. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Geez...let's start with the easiest question first: GFCI outlets are a code requirement in kitchens and bathrooms. Gotta do - not optional. And, don't over-improve the property for the market. That is the biggest mistake that rehabbers make - because it won't improve your appraisal value nor increase your rent price. Mismatched cabinets will have a negative impact to valuation and tenant appeal. Do this first: search duplexes for rent in North Linden. Compare those properties to yours - what do they offer, how are they cosmetically finished, how long have the properties been listed for sale and what is the rent price. You're in a C market...don't do an A market renovation. You won't get the return on it. And, no one is going to rent a property because of the type of AC (although those window units are hated by all) when the real win is having AC in the first place. You may find that adding a washer/dryer or at least hook-ups would have a better ROI than a hood.

    Consider:

    1. Renovate to the market standards and tenant pool/price (and no more). 

    2. Cure all safetytrip issues. Get those kitchen/bath outlets converted.

    3. Get it rented fast.  Every day you're in rehab is a day that is costing you money - not earning you money.

    Congrats on your new acquisition.  Keep it lean and mean...and get it working for you fast.

    Best.

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Thanks @Patricia Steiner for answering my long list of questions! We are expecting for this unit to be ready by the end of month, and renovation for the 2nd unit starts after they tenants move out. This first renovation is really stressful to be honest...but I would imagine all the other renovations moving forward to be much easier. 

    I will make sure the GFCI outlets are installed, and washer/dryer hookups are already available. I appreciate the AC advice too, I am hoping the estimates are still within my budget. 

    I did a quick check on Zillow and lots of the sold properties either do not have a range hood, or they had outdated kitchens with range hoods. Based off of this, I do not think a range hood is necessary. I appreciate the help! 


    I am still open to any additional comments if anyone else could help out with these final touches I have to decide on soon :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 20 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Darryl H.:

    Thanks @Patricia Steiner for answering my long list of questions! We are expecting for this unit to be ready by the end of month, and renovation for the 2nd unit starts after they tenants move out. This first renovation is really stressful to be honest...but I would imagine all the other renovations moving forward to be much easier. 

    I will make sure the GFCI outlets are installed, and washer/dryer hookups are already available. I appreciate the AC advice too, I am hoping the estimates are still within my budget. 

    I did a quick check on Zillow and lots of the sold properties either do not have a range hood, or they had outdated kitchens with range hoods. Based off of this, I do not think a range hood is necessary. I appreciate the help! 


    I am still open to any additional comments if anyone else could help out with these final touches I have to decide on soon :)


    I have an HVAC contact if you are interested. Reach out to me privately and I can hook you up. I added a/c to my central heat on one of my SFH rentals relatively affordable.

    Regarding the handrail, you definitely should include, even if just 3-5 steps due to liability reasons.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Looks like it might be a Class C

    30" stove to the left of door, 12" to 18" cabinet on left with long door, 18" to 24" counter top with leg in front corner and waste basket below.

    30 outside venting hood with cabinets above that.

    White back splash, black Formica counter tops with rounded corner near door (for child eye safety) and white cabinets with black handles.

    A light sand colored sheet vinyl floor.

    Would something like this fit?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Forget the doorbell, that's a non-issue. Most new ones are wireless anyway.

    Yes you MUST have GFCIs where required.

    4 risers or more requires a handrail to code.

  • Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 102 votes
    3y

    Some good questions and I understand the long list of items on an inspection report can seem overwhelming at times but let's try to look at the big picture, and as you mentioned, for you that is the appraisal value.

    Adding AC is always nice, but if it doesn't add enough value to recoup, then doesn't make sense, as an investor, to add; do the comps that you look at have central ac? if yes, then to reach that comp you'd probably want it, but if none of the comps do, it might be prudent to skip it. You can apply that principle to pretty much everything to determine your ARV.

    Handrails are easy to install and safety concerns are real.

    Mismatched cabinets are unlikely to affect appraisal. Broken cabinets might. 

    I've never seen an appraiser check for GFCIs, but an inspector 100% will. Check out this short article on the differences between appraisers and inspectors

    Speaking of GFCI's yes they are a safety feature and of course you want everything to be safe I commend that... but then you want to drop an extension cord behind a wall?! Perhaps you miss the irony in that that is a fire hazard waiting to happen.  Whether you mean inside the wall cavity, or permanently fixed down the wall, the concern is the same. Please, do not do that.

    If you do choose to add a hood, I suggest you do it correctly (via an electrician). Whether or not the hood will add to your ARV is debatable. Also, a ductless hood would serve little purpose as that is a gas line in the picture. Gas combustion creates poisonous carbon monoxide which should be vented to the exterior, so you'd also need HVAC. A ductless vent would be more appropriate for an electric stove.

    Anytime there is gas combustion in a home, please  at least make sure there is working carbon monoxide alarms present!

    If it were me, I'd look into getting that switched for electric and installing the hood. That would be the safest way to bring it up to a modern standard. And since an electrician is already doing in there, moving the doorbell might not take the pro but a few moments, I wouldn't be concerned about that.

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Scott Mac Thanks, this layout looks amazing honestly but will probably put me over budget. I deciding on leaving the stove there by itself, with just a wall mount range hood without cabinets. 

    @Bruce Woodruff Yep looks like moving the door bell (if needed) wont be a problem. Both GFCIs and handrails will be getting installed now too, thanks!

    @Mike Hasson Yes it does look like comps support having a central AC (Phong Bui also suggested this too).  I might be delaying the AC install for a couple months just because this would be a lot for me to spend right now. Regarding the extension cord...after a quick Google search I realized where I am going wrong with that, I am still leaning a bunch here haha. I will be installing an electric stove with the ductless range hood, and a new outlet for the range hood. 

  • Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 102 votes
    3y
    Sounds like you were able to get things prioritized and put a plan together. I'm glad we were able to help; that's what we're here for!

    I recently did the same thing on a project, and put an open shelf instead of cabinets. Let us know how yours works out!
  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mike Hasson:
    Sounds like you were able to get things prioritized and put a plan together. I'm glad we were able to help; that's what we're here for!

    I recently did the same thing on a project, and put an open shelf instead of cabinets. Let us know how yours works out!

     I was trying to google search for an image exactly like this! I had the floating shelf idea in my head but could not picture how it would actually look. I might actually move forward with this floating shelf version instead, thanks again!! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.