Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Real Estate Technology
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Grasse
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Zillow Denver and Individual Neighborhood Estimates

Kevin Grasse
  • Denver, CO
Posted Mar 11 2022, 10:57

Hi All,

I was browsing a Zillow listing today and noticed that in the Home Value vs. Time graph, Zillow is no longer showing the 2 additional lines for Denver Average Price and the specific Neighborhood Average Price. Only the individual home value estimate line is being displayed. I'm hoping this is just a bug, or is being updated. 

Has anyone else noticed this and has it been like that for a while? 

I have an old data set of average neighborhood prices that Zillow used to provide for free download, but stopped providing it, probably around the time of the iBuys when they realized it was valuable data and misinterpreted it to lose millions, lol. I'm trying to add data for today's estimates, so that I can correlate to the old and see neighborhood trends. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing an easy way to do that now. Hoping this isn't their next step of taking away data...

Kevin

User Stats

Votes
Steve K.#4 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
Steve K.#4 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Mar 11 2022, 23:46

I guess if you're just looking at market trends it's not such a big deal, but I wouldn't use Zillow data for much these days. According to themselves, Zillow estimates have a less than 38% chance of being within 5% of the actual home value, and their average is 80%. In the Denver market where the average home price is north of $650k now, that means the best we can hope for is within ~$130k of the true market value, which is too far off to be valuable data. 

Anecdotally, they are currently off on all of my personal Denver properties by several hundred thousand. Ever since they famously lost half a billion during the second half of last year by trusting their own algorithms to buy properties, I've been cross-referencing their "Zestimates" every time I run comps just to compare, out of curiosity. They're often off by several hundred thousand and in one case recently the Zestimate for the subject property was $1.5M and we went under contract for $2.5M (off market deal so not even any competitive bidding in this case). It appraised at $2.55M, so Zillow was off by $1.05M.

I think it's time to ask whether statistical/AI-based price prediction is even worth looking at. We've always known that property pricing is based on many things besides number of beds and baths in a home, and that algorithms don't know what the difference in price is on one side of the street vs. the other, one side of the tracks vs. the other, city or county, one school district or another, updated inside or not, what the place smells like, etc. But it's gotten especially inaccurate lately with such dynamic market conditions. With the way prices have been rising so fast, even CMA's created last week are no longer accurate. Bidding wars on certain properties are completely unpredictable and can drive sale prices way up above what current comps support. It's impossible to create an accurate CMA right now without first calling all the listing agents of the comparable properties under contract to get a sense of what they're going to close at, and making that adjustment to the comp. Bots don't do that. I wouldn't count on Zillow for anything other than getting very rough, ballpark data, and with the understanding that it may not even be in the ballpark.

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 12 2022, 07:28

Have an agent pull historical data for you. 

Zillow is a lead generation company that sells leads to agents.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Grasse
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 14 2022, 08:38

@Steve K. Ya, I'm pretty sure my data was purely based on sales, no predictive analysis/Zestimate. Just an aggregate of the sales data for each neighborhood, which is still subject to the variabilities you describe, but I was just looking to find some neighborhood trends. I agree that there are too many variables to use any statistical/AI-based price prediction, though.

@Matt M. Is that just raw sales data? I was just looking to plug in a few numbers to update my spreadsheet and see neighborhood trends over the past couple years, not trying to build a whole model. 

User Stats

Votes
Duane Alexander
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 15 2022, 17:12
Quote from @Steve K.:

I guess if you're just looking at market trends it's not such a big deal, but I wouldn't use Zillow data for much these days. According to themselves, Zillow estimates have a less than 38% chance of being within 5% of the actual home value, and their average is 80%. In the Denver market where the average home price is north of $650k now, that means the best we can hope for is within ~$130k of the true market value, which is too far off to be valuable data. 

Anecdotally, they are currently off on all of my personal Denver properties by several hundred thousand. Ever since they famously lost half a billion during the second half of last year by trusting their own algorithms to buy properties, I've been cross-referencing their "Zestimates" every time I run comps just to compare, out of curiosity. They're often off by several hundred thousand and in one case recently the Zestimate for the subject property was $1.5M and we went under contract for $2.5M (off market deal so not even any competitive bidding in this case). It appraised at $2.55M, so Zillow was off by $1.05M.

I think it's time to ask whether statistical/AI-based price prediction is even worth looking at. We've always known that property pricing is based on many things besides number of beds and baths in a home, and that algorithms don't know what the difference in price is on one side of the street vs. the other, one side of the tracks vs. the other, city or county, one school district or another, updated inside or not, what the place smells like, etc. But it's gotten especially inaccurate lately with such dynamic market conditions. With the way prices have been rising so fast, even CMA's created last week are no longer accurate. Bidding wars on certain properties are completely unpredictable and can drive sale prices way up above what current comps support. It's impossible to create an accurate CMA right now without first calling all the listing agents of the comparable properties under contract to get a sense of what they're going to close at, and making that adjustment to the comp. Bots don't do that. I wouldn't count on Zillow for anything other than getting very rough, ballpark data, and with the understanding that it may not even be in the ballpark.

What sucks about this is that most home owners use the inflated zestimate to gauge the value of their properties which usually becomes their asking price.