Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Guru, Book, & Course Reviews
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rick Via
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Phil Grove Real Estate Guru

Rick Via
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Mar 25 2017, 12:53
I'm at a seminar in Dallas . The guru is Phil Grove. The sales pitch is now happening. Does anybody know if this is worthwhile? A ripoff?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 13 2019, 13:42

I took Grove's 3-day VIP course last year. You are told up front you will learn a dozen or so strategies for investing. He actually taught one. Three days. The rest is basic boilerplate you pick up everywhere else and then asks for $50K to partner with him. He mocks "some guy from Utah," a successful RE investor who also teaches a 3-day course, without telling you that he took the course himself and teaches much of the same material and uses some of the same cute phrases, e.g. "having trouble sleeping at night" knowing how cool this material is now? He is quite impressed with himself, but that's okay as he and his wife are quite successful in their own right. They run a local REIA in Austin that is well organized, one room for the "Big Dogs," a elitist group who paid the $50K freight, and then the other room for teaching the newbies. They have a sort of bouncer named "Graham," who will get quite physical with those who mistakenly enter the big dog room uninvited. Lacking good taste, I thought.

User Stats

Votes
Douglas Felts
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Sep 26 2019, 16:27

I got to be honest about Phil Grove.

His training gave me the fortitude to stay in the real estate business and see th career and the opportunity that is actually always available. "I got the money if you got the deal" is a mindset that creates stability. Now my growing of professional maturity, well to assume it I had to be ready for it. But 2013 is a year that I never got out of my mind and the 200ish workshop after the free workshop is the best 200 I ever spent....he has a 2kand a 75k apprentice. Now I cant comment on 2k or 75k, but the books of wealth of knowledge....7+ I got in 2013, well worth it.

In my opinion. (Heres a stat...that we all love more).

I had a moment of weakness period in which I sold both his book(investing) and SABOR prep for real estate exam from trec(Agency).

The numbers were too long but at the bestseller bookstore.(in 2018ish).

Phil Grove's book sold for ~3x the amount of the Trec agency exam books.

Meaning obviously that from a bookstore usage perspective. Phil Grove"s book are a much better sell.

And I respect agency, and I respect it by refusing to tred their waters. Im Kool with my past.

Now I cant make any promises to anybody reading this(2years later than original post) and results are typical.

But if your brain is understand much 3 day strategy and your ready to be a business owner and to learn this business....it seems that Phil Grove is a steal at the 200 dollar(or the level after the free seminar).

And this as always is a fair unbiased testimonial

No promises. Just my side unbiased and professional based.

Thanks you Phil Grove if your reading this.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Adnan Khan
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Nov 3 2020, 10:00

I've heard nothing but good things about Phil. Although I havent been to his seminars but i know two very successful investors/agents who have worked with him. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Teresa Grim
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 3 2020, 10:12

I think what Phil teaches is solid, although most don't follow his good advice.  I'm happy to answer any questions about my experience.  

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Smith
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Feb 20 2021, 15:38

@MIKE HOUSTON Hi Mike! I’m currently sitting in the 2nd day of the three day training. In the entire time it took me to read your post. I am listening to Phil explain to me what Marketing is. I have a BBA in Marketing. I’m so insulted. We have gone through 1 strategy today. The rest has been various pitches for the Big Dog Program. Im so over it. I thought REIAs were supposed to be supportive.

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Hamidi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 21 2021, 12:47

Thank you so much to Mike Houston for the detail info on this guru (Phil Grove). I am just disappointed because Texas REI allows him and his wife to use their platform to market like this to vulnerable folks. It's really sad. You'd expect more out of a REIA. I thought they're suppose to be neutral not guru supporters!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 22 2021, 10:41

For a beginner, is becoming a member of the BIG DOG group by paying minimum of $20K worth it?  Or can you already start making deals (and 50% profit) by just being a RENC member (fees range from $100-single, $150-couple...)? 

Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Billy Cowell
  • Investor
  • Frisco, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Frisco, TX
Replied Jan 26 2024, 13:40
Quote from @Lauren Smith:

@MIKE HOUSTON Hi Mike! I’m currently sitting in the 2nd day of the three day training. In the entire time it took me to read your post. I am listening to Phil explain to me what Marketing is. I have a BBA in Marketing. I’m so insulted. We have gone through 1 strategy today. The rest has been various pitches for the Big Dog Program. Im so over it. I thought REIAs were supposed to be supportive.

I am sitting in the 3 day workshop today and I am learning a lot. As a matter a fact, he has not pitched anything at all. 

Have you read the other posts on this thread? Particularly the ones calling out other posters? You never can tell who is telling the truth. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied Apr 17 2024, 13:21
Quote from @Billy Cowell:
Quote from @Lauren Smith:

I am sitting in the 3 day workshop today and I am learning a lot. As a matter a fact, he has not pitched anything at all. 

Have you read the other posts on this thread? Particularly the ones calling out other posters? You never can tell who is telling the truth. 

How did that go for you?

I went to one of the meetings in Austin a few months ago. It was advertised as a mastermind group and I wanted to make a few connections in the area while I’m working here. I thought maybe we could help each other as I can add value myself. When I caught that whiff of BS about a guru program I waited politely after it was over to ask about the mastermind group. That’s all I wanted.
When I heard the price I said no thanks. I’m a pretty big dog myself. Maybe not a Great Dane but at least a Lab with some pretty sharp teeth. I don’t feel like tying  a 20-50k pork chop around my neck just to get the other big dogs to come out and play. We could have been mutually beneficial to each other. 

I hope things went your way.