Brand New Investor in Milwaukee

Brand New Investor in Milwaukee

Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Hey guys!

This is my first post on BiggerPockets and I couldn't be more excited to immerse myself into the real estate investing world. I moved to Milwaukee about a year ago after graduating from college in Pennsylvania and have been spending a lot of my free time reading, learning, and talking about real estate investing--I'm quickly moving toward making the leap!

To avoid the paralysis that comes with all the options real estate has to offer, I'm fully focused on starting in wholesaling. I'm a team player at heart and am excited to help sellers find solutions to their situations and investors reach their goals. I'm seeking out other investors, realtors, contractors, etc. to connect with, learn from, and build mutually beneficial relationships with. I'm hoping to get a few key questions answered:

1. How are you able to move quickly through the process once you get a lead? Between estimating repair costs and determining ARV, how do you ensure you can make a quick offer?

2. How do you choose which "list" or group to market to? It sounds like the key is just choosing one and making sure you provide a campaign of materials as opposed to a one and done of several lists, but what do you think?

I understand real estate is a team business, a people business--any help in my early stages will be greatly appreciated and will be certainly remembered down the road!

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

2Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
9y

Hi @Adam Lewis welcome in Milwaukee and on BP! You will find answers to pretty much alle your RE questions here. Definitley listen to the podcasts, for example when you are in car and have some time - you will find them very beneficial and motivating. You can always send me a PM with questions, I have mentored a few people over the years. Sometimes I also give unsolicitated advice like this: it's really, really hard to become a succesful wholesaler and probably the worst and most frustrating way to get started. You have to know so much about so many different things. You have to be good in marketing (and spend some significant money on it consistently month after month - results often take half a year), you have to be good with people, negotaitions, know all Milwaukee neighborhoods and assess market value of any property quickly and accuratley, understand construction issues, know how to rehab and how much money it will cost to fix pretty much anything. Finding buyers is the easy part, please don't waste any time on building a buyers list! So it's pretty bad. Sorry for the bad news. So what could you do to get started? Househack for example. Buy a duplex and get your feet wet. Or you could raise money from your friends and family (raising other peoples money and then investing is a core function of being an investor) and then put a deal together that makes money for your private investors (family, friends etc). Raise 30k, buy a quality property and pay them a solid return. I think you have the right mindset: looking to help other people. If you build your business around this principle you will do well.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Adam Lewis welcome in Milwaukee and on BP! You will find answers to pretty much alle your RE questions here. Definitley listen to the podcasts, for example when you are in car and have some time - you will find them very beneficial and motivating. You can always send me a PM with questions, I have mentored a few people over the years. Sometimes I also give unsolicitated advice like this: it's really, really hard to become a succesful wholesaler and probably the worst and most frustrating way to get started. You have to know so much about so many different things. You have to be good in marketing (and spend some significant money on it consistently month after month - results often take half a year), you have to be good with people, negotaitions, know all Milwaukee neighborhoods and assess market value of any property quickly and accuratley, understand construction issues, know how to rehab and how much money it will cost to fix pretty much anything. Finding buyers is the easy part, please don't waste any time on building a buyers list! So it's pretty bad. Sorry for the bad news. So what could you do to get started? Househack for example. Buy a duplex and get your feet wet. Or you could raise money from your friends and family (raising other peoples money and then investing is a core function of being an investor) and then put a deal together that makes money for your private investors (family, friends etc). Raise 30k, buy a quality property and pay them a solid return. I think you have the right mindset: looking to help other people. If you build your business around this principle you will do well.

  • New Berlin, WI · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Welcome to BP, I'm just starting out as well. Wish you the best in your endeavors. Just remember Milwaukee is having water issues in the older homes. They provided filters but the pipes need to be replaced with partial costs required by the owner.
  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Hey Adam Lewis welcome to BP! Always remember to persist and you will WIN!!!
  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    @Adam Lewis - welcome to PB. A lot of good local help in Milwaukee, WI. Feel free to inbox me if you find something interesting. 

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Michael Henry Thank you very much for the response! Very exciting. Look for a PM from me.

    @Shawn Ackerman and @Jason Ireland Thank you for the kind words and advice. I will certainly be wary of the water situation in older Milwaukee homes.

    @Marcus Auerbach WOW thank you very much for the detailed advice. I will certainly take that to heart and really make sure I'm adequately prepared for anything I dive into. Without a doubt, I will be PMing you in the future with questions

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Adam Lewis You got it.  Anytime.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Adam Lewis Good luck on your endeavors in Milwaukee. If you are able find good deals, there will be investors willing to buy, including myself.
  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Cory Bagby  In what areas of Milwaukee are you looking to buy?  Flip deals or buy and hold?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.