Does school play a huge factor in rental rates or time to lease?

Does school play a huge factor in rental rates or time to lease?

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 2 votes

I'm analyzing houses in neighborhoods where market value is 100-150k: Pasadena.  Some schools are bad and some are decent in this area.  

Do houses zoned to decent schools get leased quicker? 

Do they command higher rental rates? 

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 28 votes
9y

One of the factors but not huge in my opinion, although homes in decent/good school will expose to more tenants. It also depends on what kind of tenant you target to. To me, if home is in good condition, right price, it will get leased out. 

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    One of the factors but not huge in my opinion, although homes in decent/good school will expose to more tenants. It also depends on what kind of tenant you target to. To me, if home is in good condition, right price, it will get leased out. 

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 71 posts · 23 votes
    9y
    I only buy homes that are walking distance to an elementary that has a high “great schools” rating. It’s not that I trust “great schools”, I don’t know anything about the site other than that’s what Realtors show their buyers.
  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    9y
    I think the appreciation rate will be a little higher with better schools, and in down markets will rent better, but I am always surprised at how well and for how much homes with lower ranked schools are renting. I sometimes wonder if tenants with lower credit profiles are willing to pay up for a house just because they were accepted as tenants.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.