Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 5 votes
Hi all, I am an out of state investor looking at opportunities in Pittsburgh. I was referred to Aurora Real Estate Investing Services as a turnkey provider. Anyone work with them and can share some experiences (good or bad)? Any other Turnkey providers that you might recommend?
We just purchased our second property this January. Just remember, no matter who you're dealing with, do your due diligence. We almost bought a property through them but decided against it. We needed to get a specialized inspector because the initial inspection report said that one of the walls was an inch off. Any time something like a wall is off, it causes us to pause and really evaluate the deal. Aurora didn't think it was a big deal, but to us, it was. The seller wasn't willing to negotiate that, so sometime in the future, maybe 5 or 15 years from now it was going to cost us money to fix. If the COC would have been 9 or 10 percent, it might have still worked as a good deal, but it wasn't, so in the longer run, something minor like that would have made an OK 8% deal, into a not so OK deal. Does that make sense?
They totally got it when we walked, and found another house for us that worked.
These are the things you want to look for, especially when you're starting.
That thing Robert Kiosaki says about you have to look at 100 house to find a good deal. That's no joke! If you're a pro here, use the tools to help you run the numbers. The tools really do work and have been pretty helpful.
Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 46 votes
8y
@Kevin Kraver We used them and would recommend them. There were a couple of minor communications issues, but nothing that we would say was horrible or not worth doing business with. Just be sure to stay on top of things and get clear and specific dates. Also be sure to speak and review the property management company's contract.
If you can, we would recommend going out for their tour. We found it very helpful.
Let me know if you have any specific questions, happy to help in any way.
Rental Property Investor · South Lake Tahoe, CA. · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 11 votes
7y
Hello @Kevin Kraver. How has your experience been with Aurora? I'm actually going out for their tour in March. I like their business model but want to see the areas that they invest in for myself.
@Vera Herlihy Thanks for sharing your insight! How many properties have you purchased with them? How were you connected with them?
We just purchased our second property this January. Just remember, no matter who you're dealing with, do your due diligence. We almost bought a property through them but decided against it. We needed to get a specialized inspector because the initial inspection report said that one of the walls was an inch off. Any time something like a wall is off, it causes us to pause and really evaluate the deal. Aurora didn't think it was a big deal, but to us, it was. The seller wasn't willing to negotiate that, so sometime in the future, maybe 5 or 15 years from now it was going to cost us money to fix. If the COC would have been 9 or 10 percent, it might have still worked as a good deal, but it wasn't, so in the longer run, something minor like that would have made an OK 8% deal, into a not so OK deal. Does that make sense?
They totally got it when we walked, and found another house for us that worked.
These are the things you want to look for, especially when you're starting.
That thing Robert Kiosaki says about you have to look at 100 house to find a good deal. That's no joke! If you're a pro here, use the tools to help you run the numbers. The tools really do work and have been pretty helpful.
Rental Property Investor · South Lake Tahoe, CA. · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 11 votes
7y
Great info! Thank you very much @Vera Herlihy. It sounds like it's going good for you. That's awesome. I hope your January purchase is a success when it's all done and ready!
Rental Property Investor · South Lake Tahoe, CA. · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 11 votes
7y
@Angel M. Yes, I did go on their tour. I loved it! The time spent with them definitely helped me see that this is a group I can definitely trust. TJ really knows his market and truly has his investors in mind with every decision that he makes.
I made an offer on a property with them. Unfortunately, the offer was not accepted though so I'm still looking. I'm not giving up though. TJ and team earned my trust so I'm definitely moving forward with them.
Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 46 votes
7y
@Eduardo Arteaga congrats on going out there, so glad you did. Keep at it, the right one will arrive. We went there in December, made and offer, after inspections, we walked. Now we are closing on a different project with them. This one started in January, and just today I wired the money, so it can be slow.
Be patient and don't rush, focus on the numbers. My husband and I have run close 100 properties on the calculators. It takes a bit of searching, even with a turnkey provider.
Rental Property Investor · South Lake Tahoe, CA. · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 11 votes
7y
Thanks @Vera Herlihy! I'm actually set to go on a second visit in two weeks. If you don't mind me asking, how many visits did you take out there before finding something each time? Also, how long was your process from identification of the property to when it was tenanted?
Wow! I'm so excited for you to be looking for a duplex! I own two duplex properties and could not be any happier with them. I wish I could go back in time and snatch up a couple more when I got those lol. Is Matt at Real Property Management Three Rivers going to manage these for you as well?
San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 65 posts · 9 votes
7y
I also came across this group via Seewing Yee Network (Fremont, CA), was wondering if everyone here can provide an update for me?
I have been told to stay away from cold weather locations because pipes freezing during the winter, which can get quite expensive. Been thinking about investing in Dallas/FW area instead, but don't see any BRRRR opportunities out there.
Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 190 posts · 64 votes
7y
Good info on Aurora Investment Real Estate Services. I'm glad I found this string (I searched for Aurora and everything is about Colorado!). I hope to take the ~5-hour trip to the Steel City soon to check our their operations.
Does Pittsburgh require a rental license and filing a city/state tax return like Philadelphia does?
Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 5 votes
7y
Glad to see this thread is still going. I spoke with TJ several times. I was extremely impressed with him and considered him to be very trustworthy. I like the model, but in the end, I have not moved forward with Aurora because I deemed the waiting period from purchase close to rehab complete tenant placed to be pretty long. Something like 6months.
@Vera Herlihy@Eduardo Arteaga curious what your experience (wait time) has been like for deals that you did close with them. If they figure out how to tighten it up, I would jump back in.
Glad to see this thread is still going. I spoke with TJ several times. I was extremely impressed with him and considered him to be very trustworthy. I like the model, but in the end, I have not moved forward with Aurora because I deemed the waiting period from purchase close to rehab complete tenant placed to be pretty long. Something like 6months.
@Vera Herlihy@Eduardo Arteaga curious what your experience (wait time) has been like for deals that you did close with them. If they figure out how to tighten it up, I would jump back in.
That is a concern of mine as well. In for hearing what others are experiencing. Kevin, did you find a TK provider/model/market you do like?
Rental Property Investor · Sandy, UT · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 6 votes
7y
Hi everyone, hoping to revitalize this thread about Aurora. I had a great conversation with TJ this week and plan to make a trip out there soon. TJ seems like a very upstanding person and I love the concept of BRRR with turnkey.
@Vera Herlihy how did your second property purchase go with Aurora? What was the finish time from close and rehab to tenant?
Rental Property Investor · South Lake Tahoe, CA. · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 11 votes
7y
Hey there @Jeff P.. Yes, I found a deal. I wasn't lucky on my first visit but got a great property on my second. It is correct that it'll take a while from purchase to flip but that is because TJ is doing so much business. He won't work with any rehab crew that he doesn't trust 100% so the lag comes from waiting your turn in line for the quality work. I know he's ramping up the amount of crews though.
TJ is great. Really knows his market, knows home inspection, knows renovation, and knows the rental business. I see him as an all around expert in everything he offers. On top of that, he's an amazing guy! The entire team is great, really. Awesome people. Communication with them has been quick and simple throughout this entire process. I love how responsive they are. I constantly get updates on the property being checked up on as well.
So, yea I don't actually have a cash flowing property yet, but I have zero doubt that this will be great asset when the work is complete and a tenant is in place.
Bonus: The property manager that TJ uses, Matt, is really awesome too. I set up a meeting with during my visit. Another expert in his line of work.
I'm still months away from completion but would be glad to share more in the future.
Take care. Good luck. Happy investing.
Also, hi @Vera Herlihy! Hope your places are doing well and that your summer has been fun.