Philadelphia Multifamily Trends

Philadelphia Multifamily Trends

Real Estate Agent · Media, PA · Member since 2017 · 361 posts · 250 votes

Fellow Philly area investors! As promised from my last stats post (although it took me a while to find the time), below is an analysis of Philadelphia county multiunit/multifamily sales activity from 2004-2018. 


I analyzed Units (Transaction Units), Median Sale Price, Total Volume each year and Median Days on Market. This was strictly for multiunit properties in Philadelphia County. All data came straight from our local MLS. Note the average (not plotted) and median sale price on an annual basis varied quite extensively, demonstrating the economic diversity of our beloved Philadelphia region. For example, the minimum sale price in 2014 was $3690 and the maximum was 3 million. The median sale price in this dataset was 160k and the average was just over 212k, a 60k difference.

The following table summarizes the data I pulled.

Graphically:
# of Units (Properties) Settled was at its lowest point in 2011, similar to Delaware county, with 713 total units settled (Just under 2 per day). To clarify, this is 713 multiunit properties transacted, not 713 “doors”.

Median sale price remained relatively stable throughout this period outside of 2004 and 2018, with an “average” median sale price (confused yet?) of approximately 158k for the 14 year time period.

Volume is the total sum of transacted unit purchase prices. In 2005 nearly 340 million dollars in multifamily property was transacted, a number that hadn’t been surpassed until just last year in 2017, when over 370 million dollars in multifamily sales transacted.

Last but not least, Days on Market (DOM) shows how quickly inventory is "flying off the shelf" and is usually a good indicator of how hot the market is (lower DOM = hotter market). Note how the low data point for this was in 2004 at 20 DOM, and a sharp spike in 2008 up to 57 DOM (Delaware county followed a similar trend in 2008 at 58 DOM). We are trending back down towards 2004 levels for median DOM, suggesting that the market is heating up again! Note the 2018 values spike up but keep in mind we are only a quarter of the way through the year.

There are a lot of conclusions can be drawn from this data. One of the strongest conclusions I draw from this data is that the multifamily market in Philly is definitely hot in comparison to previous years, with Units, Volume and Median Sale Price up and DOM down, this is exactly what you’d expect to see when the market is humming! It also seems like 2011 was the year to buy the best deal, with Volume, Median Sale Price and Units at their low points.

Because the city is so economically diverse, I’d be very interested to see this data broken down by neighborhood/zip code (multifamily or otherwise). If anyone has any requests for that analysis, let me know!

9Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

Aren't most multi family properties not bought/sold through the MLS?

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Aren't most multi family properties not bought/sold through the MLS?

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 364 posts · 109 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Max T.:

    Aren't most multi family properties not bought/sold through the MLS?

     I have noticed the same thing. I closely monitor multifamily recently sold and yes most of them were sold off market.

  • Contractor · Chadds Ford, PA · Member since 2015 · 567 posts · 460 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Max T.:

    Aren't most multi family properties not bought/sold through the MLS?

    While this is probably true, I am pretty sure Trend (MLS) will still capture the sale from public records updates and report it so they will still play into the volume and median sale price figures but they would not play into the DOM figures.

  • Real Estate Agent · Media, PA · Member since 2017 · 361 posts · 250 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rich O'Neill:
    Originally posted by @Max T.:

    Aren't most multi family properties not bought/sold through the MLS?

    While this is probably true, I am pretty sure Trend (MLS) will still capture the sale from public records updates and report it so they will still play into the volume and median sale price figures but they would not play into the DOM figures.

     So this is in interesting point in how I pull my data. I don't know statistically what the breakdown of off vs on market is, but I would be surprised if the "most" part was accurate. I suspect that on market sales make up well over 50% of the total multifamily sales, but I'm going to dig into that to see what I can find.

    I actually pull my numbers manually (not through the pre-prepared TREND charts/data) from Settled properties on an annual basis. I don't think this will catch off market sales because they are not Settled through the MLS system. Off market sales will eventually show a "recorded date" and public records will be updated in time but its not particularly fast. I closed a FSBO in January and one in February and both still do not show the new owners info in the TREND records.

    More to come as I investigate this!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 364 posts · 109 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Knisely:
    Originally posted by @Rich O'Neill:
    Originally posted by @Max T.:

    Aren't most multi family properties not bought/sold through the MLS?

    While this is probably true, I am pretty sure Trend (MLS) will still capture the sale from public records updates and report it so they will still play into the volume and median sale price figures but they would not play into the DOM figures.

     So this is in interesting point in how I pull my data. I don't know statistically what the breakdown of off vs on market is, but I would be surprised if the "most" part was accurate. I suspect that on market sales make up well over 50% of the total multifamily sales, but I'm going to dig into that to see what I can find.

    I actually pull my numbers manually (not through the pre-prepared TREND charts/data) from Settled properties on an annual basis. I don't think this will catch off market sales because they are not Settled through the MLS system. Off market sales will eventually show a "recorded date" and public records will be updated in time but its not particularly fast. I closed a FSBO in January and one in February and both still do not show the new owners info in the TREND records.

    More to come as I investigate this!

     Let's take for example 19115 area. Since October 2017 there were about 13 FM sold and non of them I believe were on the market. 

  • Belleville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    curious to know where the best place would be to find multi family properties other than realtor.com

  • Real Estate Agent · Media, PA · Member since 2017 · 361 posts · 250 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Lana Lee:
    Originally posted by @John Knisely:
    Originally posted by @Rich O'Neill:
    Originally posted by @Max T.:

    Aren't most multi family properties not bought/sold through the MLS?

    While this is probably true, I am pretty sure Trend (MLS) will still capture the sale from public records updates and report it so they will still play into the volume and median sale price figures but they would not play into the DOM figures.

     So this is in interesting point in how I pull my data. I don't know statistically what the breakdown of off vs on market is, but I would be surprised if the "most" part was accurate. I suspect that on market sales make up well over 50% of the total multifamily sales, but I'm going to dig into that to see what I can find.

    I actually pull my numbers manually (not through the pre-prepared TREND charts/data) from Settled properties on an annual basis. I don't think this will catch off market sales because they are not Settled through the MLS system. Off market sales will eventually show a "recorded date" and public records will be updated in time but its not particularly fast. I closed a FSBO in January and one in February and both still do not show the new owners info in the TREND records.

    More to come as I investigate this!

     Let's take for example 19115 area. Since October 2017 there were about 13 FM sold and non of them I believe were on the market. 

     I found 8 that settled on market since October 2017. Again the off market ones are harder to track but if you send me some addresses of those I will try to run it down.

  • Real Estate Agent · Media, PA · Member since 2017 · 361 posts · 250 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rosanna Delacruz:

    curious to know where the best place would be to find multi family properties other than realtor.com

    Rosanna, sites like Realtor.com pull right from MLS, so if you are looking to go right to the source, talk to your realtor about sending you listings via an MLS autosearch. You can also network with local investors and agents to try and find off market properties.

  • PHILADELPHIA, PA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hello everyone,

    New to the BP community. Moving from NY to come back home to Philly in May. Interested in starting my portfolio with a owner-occupant rental. I'm looking for a turnkey duplex or triplex (the latter would be more ideal) in the Brewerytown, Strawberry Mansion or Stanton area for 90-130k. I've been using Zillow, Realtor.com, and properties my realtor send but haven't found anything solid. What's another way I could search for properties and off-market deals? 

    Best regards,

    Uzoma 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.