Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Philadelphia Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Appeal property tax valuations in Philadelphia - Help!

Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Apr 3 2018, 19:04

My assessments all went up... Some went WAY up! 

Do you have or know someone who has successful experience appealing these valuations? 

How much does it cost? 

Is it worth it to pursue?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Apr 3 2018, 20:07

@Max T. - there are lots of companies (usually law firms) that specialize in tax appeals; they take a percentage of the first year's savings as payment, so you don't have much to lose by using one of them UNLESS the appeal results in a higher tax. Yes, you read that correctly, the appeal can go either way or stay the same, you lose if the taxes go up.

My brother appealed taxes on a house in Philadelphia and got a 12% reduction using the guy below:

Jerald Goldfine

RE Tax Associates of Pennsylvania LLC

Good luck.

Account Closed
  • Accountant
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 4 2018, 06:30
Originally posted by @Max T.:

Do you have or know someone who has successful experience appealing these valuations? 

How much does it cost? 

How much higher mine are up approx 22%?

edit: did assessments just come out for 2019?

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 4 2018, 06:51
Originally posted by @Account Closed. I may reach out to him.

Yes the 2019 assessments just came out. Some of mine went up like yours, others went up more. One of mine is up almost 100%. I have seen someone else on Facebook comment on having a 300% increase! You may want to check the OPA website. Good luck!

Account Closed
  • Accountant
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 4 2018, 07:00
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

How much does it cost? 

Thanks @Steve Babiak. I may reach out to him.

Yes the 2019 assessments just came out. Some of mine went up like yours, others went up more. One of mine is up almost 100%. I have seen someone else on Facebook comment on having a 300% increase! You may want to check the OPA website. Good luck!

Should let them know 300% makes them eligible for LOOP program. 

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 4 2018, 07:01

How much does it cost? 

Thanks @Steve Babiak. I may reach out to him.

Should let them know 300% makes them eligible for LOOP program. 

LOOP = longtime owner occupant program

We're investors :)

User Stats

Votes
Gregory H.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 4 2018, 07:02

@Max T.

I'm looking at 10%-30% increases. Not ideal, but their assessments are still double digits under true market value. I guess it depends how the new assessments compare to how you currently value them.

This is our tax appeal guy https://www.utbf.com/attorney/john-k-fiorillo/

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 4 2018, 07:12
Originally posted by @Gregory H.:

@Max T.

I'm looking at 10%-30% increases. Not ideal, but their assessments are still double digits under true market value. I guess it depends how the new assessments compare to how you currently value them.

Thanks for the lead!

User Stats

Votes
Luke Badalaty
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 10 2018, 18:04

My one property in West Philly went up 100% while both neighboring properties decreased in value! Assessment is definitely above market value now. Is it worth hiring someone to take care of the appeal rather than doing it myself? 

User Stats

Votes
Dan B.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 17 2018, 10:59

I'm really pissed.  Taxes across my 3 properties are up 37.39% from last year.  Since 2015, they're up 60.36%.  One of them went up 147% since 2015.  That's assuming the rate doesn't go up, which it might!

User Stats

Votes
Jon Graboyes
  • Professional
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jun 3 2018, 23:59

I’m in contract to buy a property that has a new 2019 tax assessed value above purchase price. Looks like March 31, 2018 was the deadline for 2019 appeals with the city of Philadelphia. Anyone know if a new owner can file an appeal immediately after closing or would I have to wait to appeal the 2020 assessment? 

Also, any updates or advice from those in the process of an appeal? 

Interesting article for any new construction owners with a 10 year tax abatement who received significant land value increase: https://whyy.org/articles/recent-court-ruling-opens-door-homeowners-appeal-tax-bill/

User Stats

Votes
Joshua G.
  • Collegeville, PA
Votes |
  • Collegeville, PA
Replied Aug 15 2018, 06:00

@Jon Graboyes, I'm pretty sure that October 1, 2018 is the deadline to appeal: https://www.phila.gov/brt/appeals/Pages/default.aspx

User Stats

Votes
Christian Paluzzi
  • Investor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Jan 22 2019, 11:55

I have serious concerns for my properties as well due to the new assessments.  One property in particular has 4 years left on abatement but the 2019 assessment is 243% higher than 2018's, and all of the other houses on the block show similar assessment increases.  Without the abatement, my tax obligation would have gone up $4700 this year.  Judging by the article posted above and my investigation of assessed values in the area it seems like I am along for the ride without any recourse.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mary B.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lansdowne, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lansdowne, PA
Replied Jan 22 2019, 16:45

some of you may want to read this article. http://www.phillytrib.com/news/local_news/audit-re...

kudos,

Mary

User Stats

Votes
Will Kaufmann
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Mar 22 2019, 10:23

I am reviving this since the payment due date is right around the corner. I own a 2/1 in Washington West and my tax assessed value jumped from $250,000 to $372,000 over night which increases the bill by almost 50%. I appealed well before the deadline using market data to justify a lower valuation and never even received a response. What makes even less sense is that my upstairs neighbor in a 3/2 is only valued at $284,500. 

I am starting to think about selling the unit since rent is $2,300 and my P&I&Taxes are sitting at $2,100. What do you all think? FWIW purchase price was $326,000 in 2015 and I would aggressively list around $425,000.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 20 2024, 03:25
Quote from @Gregory H.:

@Max T.

See screenshot attached for a property in the area currently up dor sale. How could the tax assessed surpass actual value when it's usually the very opposite?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 20 2024, 03:26
Quote from @Luke Badalaty:

My one property in West Philly went up 100% while both neighboring properties decreased in value! Assessment is definitely above market value now. Is it worth hiring someone to take care of the appeal rather than doing it myself? 

Would that also mean that the bank's appraisal for a mortgage would be way above actual value? Easier to refinance and retrieve down-payment?