Skip to content
Las Vegas Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Robert L.
Votes |
Decline in Lake Mead Water Levels and Drought in Las Vegas?

Robert L.
Posted Jul 11 2021, 22:36

Hi All, just read this article about water resources being depleted for Las Vegas.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/hoover-dams-lake-mead-hits-lowest-water-level-1930s-180978022/

Declining water levels has been a problem for a few years now in Las Vegas.  Is real estate investment in Las Vegas in danger if there is not enough water to support population expansion, etc? Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 12 2021, 06:33

@Robert L. There is tons of research going right now in the science community for this problem. The decline of water levels is linked to climate change.  Water levels at the lowest recorded levels. Wild fires rampaging in the mountains. Not only is the south west United State worried about water, they also have electrical power concerns. A few of the hydro-electric dams have gone off-line and the Hoover Dam is already loosing efficiency. The turbines that create power don't work without high flow water pressure. 

I believe we're at the tipping point for some of those cities. Phoenix, AZ is probably on the hot list too. Massive population growth in last few years. Some bright minds have engineered ways around these problems and they will continue to do so, but it sort of feels like New Orleans. We built levees, control gates, and pump houses but the city keeps sinking. I hope technology and engineering keeps up with the pace. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jul 12 2021, 06:39

@Robert L. yeah unfortunately this has been going on for about 15-20 years, back when I use to go to the lake with my family we would see it slowly get lower and lower. There are a lot of people in place to do more research to make sure it is reversed. It will take a look more than just research to make sure it is reversed though, very unsettling that it continues they way it has been going.   

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Property Manager
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 12 2021, 06:53
Lake Mead 1987
Account Closed
  • Property Manager
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 12 2021, 07:22

The first photo is Lake Mead in 1987. The 2nd photo is Lake Mead in 2021 and shows it only 35% full. 

Las Vegas has an amazing water reclamation district that tries to recapture as much water as possible, including sewer water. Here is a link: Article about how Vegas reclaims sewer water (pretty gross to actually think about). Roughly 90 million gallons of reclaimed water is released daily into the Las Vegas Wash, replenishing Lake Mead with billions of gallons every year. 

Part of your question comes down to water rights. Nevada's Colorado river allocation is 300,000 acre-feet per year. If Lake Mead drops to 1,045-1,090 feet, the state will be allocated 292,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops below 1,045 feet, the state will be allocated 290,000 acre-feet.

• Arizona's Colorado river allocation is 2.8 million acre-feet per year. If Lake Mead drops to 1,045-1,090 feet, the state will be allocated 2,608,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops below 1,045 feet, the state will be allocated 2,560,000 acre-feet. 

• California's Colorado river allocation is 4.4 million acre-feet per year. If Lake Mead drops to 1,040-1,045 feet, the state will be allocated 4,200,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops to 1,035-1,040, the state will be allocated 4,150,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops to 1,030-1,035, the state will be allocated 4,100,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops below 1,030, the state will be allocated 4,050,000 acre-feet.

Here is an interesting article on water rights an allocations between Nevada, Arizona, California and Mexico: water rights newspaper article

Some things are city is doing to combat water waste:

1) The Southern Nevada Water Authority will rebate $3 per square foot of grass removed and replaced with desert landscaping up to the first 10,000 square feet converted per property, per year. Ultimate goal is to conserve water.

2) The City of Henderson is actively fining for water waste and their fines range from $40 for a 1st offense up to $2,560.

I do share your concern and believe you have a valid question but AZ is probably in a worse position than NV given the water rights. Vegas gets water credits for all our reclamation efforts. I'm unsure if AZ or CA have a similar program.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Agent
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Agent
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Jul 12 2021, 07:49
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

The first photo is Lake Mead in 1987. The 2nd photo is Lake Mead in 2021 and shows it only 35% full. 

Las Vegas has an amazing water reclamation district that tries to recapture as much water as possible, including sewer water. Here is a link: Article about how Vegas reclaims sewer water (pretty gross to actually think about). Roughly 90 million gallons of reclaimed water is released daily into the Las Vegas Wash, replenishing Lake Mead with billions of gallons every year. 

Part of your question comes down to water rights. Nevada's Colorado river allocation is 300,000 acre-feet per year. If Lake Mead drops to 1,045-1,090 feet, the state will be allocated 292,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops below 1,045 feet, the state will be allocated 290,000 acre-feet.

• Arizona's Colorado river allocation is 2.8 million acre-feet per year. If Lake Mead drops to 1,045-1,090 feet, the state will be allocated 2,608,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops below 1,045 feet, the state will be allocated 2,560,000 acre-feet. 

• California's Colorado river allocation is 4.4 million acre-feet per year. If Lake Mead drops to 1,040-1,045 feet, the state will be allocated 4,200,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops to 1,035-1,040, the state will be allocated 4,150,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops to 1,030-1,035, the state will be allocated 4,100,000 acre-feet. If the lake drops below 1,030, the state will be allocated 4,050,000 acre-feet.

Here is an interesting article on water rights an allocations between Nevada, Arizona, California and Mexico: water rights newspaper article

Some things are city is doing to combat water waste:

1) The Southern Nevada Water Authority will rebate $3 per square foot of grass removed and replaced with desert landscaping up to the first 10,000 square feet converted per property, per year. Ultimate goal is to conserve water.

2) The City of Henderson is actively fining for water waste and their fines range from $40 for a 1st offense up to $2,560.

I do share your concern and believe you have a valid question but AZ is probably in a worse position than NV given the water rights. Vegas gets water credits for all our reclamation efforts. I'm unsure if AZ or CA have a similar program.

the question I have is what is the status of Lake Powell up stream that feeds this lake  ??  is it also super low.

I know here in CA we can go from empty reservoir to full in one hard winter.. I mean 2019 the lakes in northern CA flooded and the Oroville dam darn near burst because of record amounts of water..  So I suspect this all has to do with snow pack in the Rockies and Utah Mountain ranges.  

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 12 2021, 08:14

If the rest of the states would follow Las vegas’ lead we wouldn’t have a problem. I believe most of the problem is the amount of water being used by California farmers, hopefully more snd more fo them will be turned in to affordable housing. But here’s a couple numbers. 

In 2008 we had 1.7million people, 2018 we had 50% more, 2.6million.But our water usage was down 7%. Plus our water usage is already below the reduced amount of water we can draw if they declare a drought emergency. 

Total water consumption has gone down from 261,000 acre-feet in 2008 to 243,000 acre-feet in 2018. Annual water use per capita has also dropped from 144 gallons to 124 gallons per day between 2008 and 2018, Mack said.

All this without any attempt to price water to cause saving. We pay $1.10 for 1000 gallons of water.

User Stats

Votes
William Hochstedler
  • Broker
  • Logan, UT
Votes |
  • Broker
  • Logan, UT
Replied Jul 12 2021, 08:16
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

the question I have is what is the status of Lake Powell up stream that feeds this lake  ??  is it also super low.

It's as bad as I've seen it.  Snowpack had mostly melted by early June when in a good year it can make it to late July or even August.  Farmers are rationing water.  And ticket-happy Ogden isn't writing violations for brown lawns!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 12 2021, 09:58

Las Vegas sits on a huge aquifer that’s managed by Las Vegas Valley Water District.  You can go to their site and do research.  But the water crisis—it’s been a problem for years, now it’s severe—-is here to stay.  Regardless, to any new conservation efforts.

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Jul 12 2021, 10:49

Water levels low in west, the longer term issue probably not water as that is solvable, rather it is the actual air temps. Places like Phoenix perhaps in 50 years or Vegas in 100 years temps half the year might be near unlivable for most. 130 degree summers regular is in the cards.

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Jul 12 2021, 11:07
Originally posted by @Bill B.:

If the rest of the states would follow Las vegas’ lead we wouldn’t have a problem. I believe most of the problem is the amount of water being used by California farmers, hopefully more snd more fo them will be turned in to affordable housing. But here’s a couple numbers. 

In 2008 we had 1.7million people, 2018 we had 50% more, 2.6million.But our water usage was down 7%. Plus our water usage is already below the reduced amount of water we can draw if they declare a drought emergency. 

Total water consumption has gone down from 261,000 acre-feet in 2008 to 243,000 acre-feet in 2018. Annual water use per capita has also dropped from 144 gallons to 124 gallons per day between 2008 and 2018, Mack said.

All this without any attempt to price water to cause saving. We pay $1.10 for 1000 gallons of water.

Calif farmers I think use more than half of the water. It might be 80 90% I forget. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 12 2021, 11:23

Yeah Vegas is almost as hot as it was back in the 40’s. Heck we just tied a 1942 record. But again, this is all being recorded at city center surrounded by 10x population, asphalt, cars and ac units that didn’t exist 80 years ago. The temperatures should be reading 5-10 degrees hotter than the 1940’s. But they publish daily high temp records in the newspaper at the start at each month. There’s usually about 5-10 since 2000. The other 20-25 are from 70-80 years ago. 

We’ve seen almost zero high temp gain. When they use Las Vegas as an example they ALWAYS use “average temperature”. Because our nights are warmer with all the asphalt and ac units releasing/creating heat that didn’t exist before. They like to pretend the phrase “heat island” was never invented or a well known fact. Hence they never use the middle of nowhere in their examples. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Jul 12 2021, 11:57

Yeah Vegas is almost as hot as it was back in the 40’s. Heck we just tied a 1942 record. But again, this is all being recorded at city center surrounded by 10x population, asphalt, cars and ac units that didn’t exist 80 years ago. The temperatures should be reading 5-10 degrees hotter than the 1940’s. But they publish daily high temp records in the newspaper at the start at each month. There’s usually about 5-10 since 2000. The other 20-25 are from 70-80 years ago. 

We’ve seen almost zero high temp gain. When they use Las Vegas as an example they ALWAYS use “average temperature”. Because our nights are warmer with all the asphalt and ac units releasing/creating heat that didn’t exist before. They like to pretend the phrase “heat island” was never invented or a well known fact. Hence they never use the middle of nowhere in their examples. 

Before all the new cement, vegas temps used to drop at night 20 25 degrees. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Jul 12 2021, 12:04

Yeah the 130 temps is a low desert forecast, vegas being high desert, i randomly added 50 years, to be even with low desert. This is absolutely unscientific. It has been my anecdotal experience vegas is hotter in town than it was 25 years ago though. 

User Stats

Votes
John M.
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 14 2021, 20:01
Originally posted by @Robert L.:Is real estate investment in Las Vegas in danger if there is not enough water to support population expansion, etc? Thanks.

LA, OC, San Diego, Phoenix and other nearby cities are also dependent on Colorado river water so it's not like Las Vegas is the only city that would be impacted. 

That said, desalination is increasingly being used to augment other water sources such as aquifers and snowpack in wetter years and is already being done in parts of California.....so it's not like the region is going to dry up and become uninhabitable anytime soon.  However, with less total water available it cannot be taken for granted, at least until a few wet winters are able to replenish snowpack and take some of the pressure off.

A couple years old but article below in desal:

https://www.wired.com/story/de...

I think the situation is concerning but I also think we will adapt and manage.  We have no other choice.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 1 2021, 05:36

@Account Closed Do you think the Lake Mead water levels will have an impact on Lake Las Vegas? I read that water from Lake Mead is used to fill this man-made lake and if water is not available, what will happen in the future to this development?

Account Closed
  • Property Manager
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Aug 1 2021, 14:31

@Ginger Carr Good Question! I don't know

User Stats

Votes
Robert L.
Votes |
Replied Aug 13 2021, 06:47

All the feedback has been very helpful and eye opening.  Thank you!

Account Closed
  • Property Manager
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jan 28 2022, 06:04

@Ginger Carr I cam across some information about Lake Las Vegas that I thought was interesting: "The lake was built in the channel of the Las Vegas Wash — the valley's only storm runoff outlet. A bypass was built for the wash beneath the reservoir and dam allowing it to remain connected to Lake Mead via two 96-inch diameter pipes. The bypass is a flood control measure, allowing flood waters to be diverted under the lake into Lake Mead with the rest absorbed by Lake Las Vegas, itself. After falling into substantial disrepair, the pipes — which are owned by the city of Henderson, but maintained by the resort — were repaired in 2009 at a cost of $3 million." 

I found the info on Wikepedia this morning because I was still curious about your question 6 months later! 

Whenever you make it to Vegas next I recommend heading over to The Clark County Wetlands Park. The park is on the east side of the Las Vegas valley and runs from the various water treatment plants near the natural beginning of the Las Vegas Wash to where the wash flows under Lake Las Vegas and later into Lake Mead. The visitor center has displays on how the washes have been built over the years to avoid damage from flash floods.

Even those these washes have been built some streets and intersections still flood with water during monsoons. If you've never experienced a flash flood in Vegas they are intense. This local news video will give you a glimpse of the flash flood exhibit at the Springs Preserve along with showing you some images of flash floods in the suburbs of Vegas and near the strip. I was caught driving during a flash flood back in 2010 and then again in 2021 and they are no joke.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 23 2022, 20:01
Hi Heidi,
Thank you so much for following up. That's useful information and good to know. I appreciate that you did the additional research into this question!