Tax Strategies for Mortgage Note Investing

Tax Strategies for Mortgage Note Investing

Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 550 posts · 389 votes

For all the note professionals out there:

I have accrued a decent portfolio of performing mortgage notes over the last couple of years and my tax bill at the end of the year has gotten quite large. As far as tax deductions, my CPA says there isn't much I can do to reduce the tax bill, as there aren't many things I can write off, and it's not like a physical property where I can depreciate the home. Or can I?

I know that quite a few people buy mortgage notes within a self-directed IRA to save on the taxes, but all of mine are currently owned in an LLC.

Besides opening up an IRA, I'm wondering if there are any other tax strategies / deductions that can help me reduce my tax bill next year....legal of course.

Thanks.

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Dave Van HornPro Member
Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@Stuart Grazier

There are some great strategies mentioned above.

One I didn't see was, have you ever considered having a partner (i.e. a parent, child, or heir) in the LLC who is in a lower tax bracket and make them into a majority owner? In that scenario, you would still be a partial owner and manage the entity but the members in the entity could be taxed at a much more favorable rate.

Depending on what your estate planning and investment goals are with your portfolio, another strategy where you could also achieve tax saving advantages would be by utilizing certain type(s) of trusts (like an irrevocable trust, for example).

And if you plan to have a larger note operation, it might make sense to form your investment company off-shore. Tax-wise, it’s similar to the solo 401K strategy, but you can generate tax-free income off-shore (say in the Cayman Islands for example) and you are only taxed if and when you bring it on-shore. When you do bring it on-shore, you might be able to offset or partially offset these taxes by utilizing captive insurance.

So just a few more ideas to consider.

Best,

Dave

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    Stuart,

    I am glad you started this thread as I have been thinking about this myself. I am trying to transition from having a lot of rentals into a portfolio of performing notes and working on some non performing. As I get rid of rentals , I lose tax write offs.

    My thinking is that working a note business can be classified as an active business instead of a passive activity like having rentals. Then it becomes a schedule C activity and you can have a Solo 401k and all business expenses associated with the business. This might include travel expenses to inspect collateral, maybe vehicle expenses if you have some local notes, office expenses like internet, home office etc. I am no CPA but I have been pondering how best to structure for max tax benefits.

    Hopefully some experts will chime in.

  • Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    In a non IRA environment, no tax savings on notes, but if you have rentals in your portfolio, those can help offset your note income profits. @Scott Mclaren's idea on a SoloK may be a viable approach

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Stuart Grazier

    Notes are definitely a nice asset type for a Solo 401k. There is a pretty good related discussion here on BP, I'll find the link.

    Here it is: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/313...

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Stuart Grazier

    If you are looking to reduce your taxable earned income, then consider opening a solo 401k if you are self-employed with no employees, as the solo 401k contribution rules allow for high contributions. For example, $53,000 can be contributed to a solo 401k in tax year 2016 plus an additional $6,00 for those age 50 or older.  See the following IRS link for more information.

    https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-for-self-employed-people

  • Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 211 posts · 166 votes
    10y

    I have looked at this myself. So far the best answer is to combine rental homes with notes. Notes produce the cash flow, while rental homes produce depreciation and other deductions, even if they are break even. 

    The beauty of this is the fact that, while you enjoy tax savings for a couple decades, in the end you will own an asset outright (the home) in addition to pocketing the rent check. Keep in mind rent keeps pace with inflation, and as such a $1500 rental payment now may be a $4000 rental payment 15 or 20 years from now.

    With regards to note interest income, this is the best blend for tax savings I have seen so far.

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Stuart Grazier:

    For all the note professionals out there:

    I have accrued a decent portfolio of performing mortgage notes over the last couple of years and my tax bill at the end of the year has gotten quite large. As far as tax deductions, my CPA says there isn't much I can do to reduce the tax bill, as there aren't many things I can write off, and it's not like a physical property where I can depreciate the home. Or can I?

    I know that quite a few people buy mortgage notes within a self-directed IRA to save on the taxes, but all of mine are currently owned in an LLC.

    Besides opening up an IRA, I'm wondering if there are any other tax strategies / deductions that can help me reduce my tax bill next year....legal of course.

    Thanks.

     That would be correct; however, depending upon how many notes you are investing in you might want to consider using a business entity to pay a salary and reduce it with other benefits and income types.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Stuart Grazier.

    while you certainly can invest in notes in your retirement account and all of the income produced by those notes will be sheltered from taxes - this would not address your tax challenge now. You will not be able to transfer your existing notes that you personally own into an IRA or 401k.

    If after consulting with your CPA you determine that there is a way to structure a business that produces earned income - you could shelter some of that income into Solo 401k, so it should help your bottom line. 

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Stuart Grazier

    There are some great strategies mentioned above.

    One I didn't see was, have you ever considered having a partner (i.e. a parent, child, or heir) in the LLC who is in a lower tax bracket and make them into a majority owner? In that scenario, you would still be a partial owner and manage the entity but the members in the entity could be taxed at a much more favorable rate.

    Depending on what your estate planning and investment goals are with your portfolio, another strategy where you could also achieve tax saving advantages would be by utilizing certain type(s) of trusts (like an irrevocable trust, for example).

    And if you plan to have a larger note operation, it might make sense to form your investment company off-shore. Tax-wise, it’s similar to the solo 401K strategy, but you can generate tax-free income off-shore (say in the Cayman Islands for example) and you are only taxed if and when you bring it on-shore. When you do bring it on-shore, you might be able to offset or partially offset these taxes by utilizing captive insurance.

    So just a few more ideas to consider.

    Best,

    Dave

  • Consulting · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Dave Van Horn Apologies for bumping such and old post but could you talk more about or provide any resources about utilizing captive insurance to offset the taxes?

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hi @Steve Burt,

    Sure thing. My friend M.C. Laubscher did a pretty good podcast recently on the idea that you might appreciate: 

    https://cashflowninja.com/573-charles-spitzer/

    He could have other resources too if you reach out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.