Stategy for Tax Lien Bidding / Investing?

Stategy for Tax Lien Bidding / Investing?

Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2015 · 267 posts · 76 votes

I want to buy tax liens with the hope of eventually owning some of these properties, but I'd like  advice on how to evaluate the risk of high repair costs between 5-6 promising properties.  I've researched liens for sale at an upcoming tax auction in Indiana and the laws for that county.  I plan to have someone in that county take photos of the outside of the  houses and neighborhoods I'm pursuing.  I don't want to over bid and / or end up with junk. My questions are:

1) Since I can't inspect the inside, how can I make a guess as to the repair costs of, for example, a 3/1 SFR, 900 sq ft, built in 1955 compared to a 3/2 SFR, 2500 sq ft built in 1890? If they both look well maintained/restored on the outside do you usually assume the inside is well maintained too?

2) After you inspect them and determine occupancy, do you prefer to bid more aggressively on the vacant ones or the occupied ones ?

I know some investors care only about the interest rate and redemption period on tax liens, but I like to bid on just those liens where I would want to own the property. Any replies would be appreciated!

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
10y

I would bid higher on occupied properties because you know these are habitable. The vacant ones could be missing copper pipes, electrical wiring and the HVAC by the time you get the deed. The exception to this is if the vacant houses are in a very nice are or the house has a good FMV. Look at the roof line, does it have HVAC, is it brick or vinyl siding, does it appear to have newer windows. If it has a for sale or for rent sign in yard? I like to see such a sign because the owner considers the house to be in good enough shape to try and sell or rent the house.

One occupied houses I give it high marks if I see a US flag. They people have some pride in their house to fly one. Also is it owner occupied or does the tax bill go to another location such as out of state?

Does everyone else on the street maintain their property? You can use Google Street view to look at some of this. Just realize that the pictures may be years old. I use this to eliminate properties not to be the deciding factor in bidding on a property. No substitution for driving by property to look at condition and see if anyone is currently living there. Sounds like you have someone doing this for you which is fine.

Also flood plains can be an issue in the future with insurance.

If you have it narrowed down to a few houses look at the Register of Deeds site for mortgages, leins, deeds of distribution etc.

If you don't win the bid at auction try and contact the owner and see if they are pLanning to redeem property or not. If they don't want or can't afford to keep the place offer to pay them for their time to sign the property over to you. First make sure their are no title issues or large mortgages that you would have to deal with. These you should try and get at auction so that the tax deed can clear out most issues.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y

    I would bid higher on occupied properties because you know these are habitable. The vacant ones could be missing copper pipes, electrical wiring and the HVAC by the time you get the deed. The exception to this is if the vacant houses are in a very nice are or the house has a good FMV. Look at the roof line, does it have HVAC, is it brick or vinyl siding, does it appear to have newer windows. If it has a for sale or for rent sign in yard? I like to see such a sign because the owner considers the house to be in good enough shape to try and sell or rent the house.

    One occupied houses I give it high marks if I see a US flag. They people have some pride in their house to fly one. Also is it owner occupied or does the tax bill go to another location such as out of state?

    Does everyone else on the street maintain their property? You can use Google Street view to look at some of this. Just realize that the pictures may be years old. I use this to eliminate properties not to be the deciding factor in bidding on a property. No substitution for driving by property to look at condition and see if anyone is currently living there. Sounds like you have someone doing this for you which is fine.

    Also flood plains can be an issue in the future with insurance.

    If you have it narrowed down to a few houses look at the Register of Deeds site for mortgages, leins, deeds of distribution etc.

    If you don't win the bid at auction try and contact the owner and see if they are pLanning to redeem property or not. If they don't want or can't afford to keep the place offer to pay them for their time to sign the property over to you. First make sure their are no title issues or large mortgages that you would have to deal with. These you should try and get at auction so that the tax deed can clear out most issues.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    I bid on properties assuming they need repairs. People who can't afford to save their property from tax foreclosure aren't spending a lot of money on maintenance either.

    Properties built in 1890 have been updated at some point. The problem is you don't know if that was 1940 or 1999.  If a property was built in 1955. if it hasn't been updated it still needs a full rehab.

    I tend to assume properties are worth what REOs are typically selling for in an area.

    I bid based on what I think it is worth - period. It is tempting to  bid more on a property you think you can get but the goal is not to get properties it is to  make money. Keep in mind you have to bid LESS than it is worth because of legals fees, cost of acquisition and room for your own profit margin.

  • Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2015 · 267 posts · 76 votes
    10y

    Thanks John.  When you say "Register of Deeds" site you're referring to contacting the county  office ( in this case county recorder's office) and getting a copy of the deed for those properties I like to check for mortgages and other liens, correct? I have 5 properties I'm interested in.  This county uses a website called "Tapestry 2.0 - Land Records via the Internet" for selling property records online.  Do I want to order just the deed created when the current owner bought it and not other documents like "judgement," "land contract," "lien,""and "mortgage" from Tapesty 2.0?

  • Real Estate Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 316 posts · 165 votes
    10y

    @Tricia O'Brien  is this Tipton county?

  • Real Estate Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 316 posts · 165 votes
    10y

    @Tricia O'Brien

    I think I know which county now. I won't say which in case you don't want to announce it. I'll pm you and you tell me if I was right. If I'm correct, that looks like a Commissioner sale. Be very careful. There are probably gems in all that trash. 

    A site that will be very helpful is Sri-taxsale.com   They have an uptodate property list. If you select the view GIS link next to property you can view property, view property card, and tax report. 

    If I am wrong then never mind. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.