Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eddie Fernandez
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Platte City Missouri, United States
Votes |
My first purchase on Paperstac

Eddie Fernandez
Pro Member
Posted Jun 16 2024, 05:25

I just purchased and closed my first deal on Paperstac on thought I’d share some pros and cons.

Pros-  Great selection of notes which made shopping for what I wanted easy. Once a property was selected the conversations between buyer and seller are recorded. The step by step closing process informing the buyer/seller whose action is next was streamlined. Finally, closing costs were reasonable.

Cons-  Quality control of closing docs. The Quit Claim Deed was hastily generated such as paragraph indents where there shouldn’t have been, missing information, and most importantly had the incorrect property ID from the County.  Worst yet, the seller was sent this incorrect QCD to sign and notarize which they did.  If it were not my due diligence reviewing the QCD it would have been a done deal.  This error caused about a 2 to 3 week delay to correct.  After pointing out errors to Paperstac, I never received an acknowledgment of their errors or even an apology for that matter which in my opinion is very unprofessional.  Secondly, the step by step closing process is great but there should be a time limit and better reminders  when the seller or buyer need to complete tasks. At least a 2-weeks was lost because myself or the seller were needed to complete tasks but neither of us knew it.  There should be an alert or something informing each party something is required before moving on to the next step.  Most importantly about the closing process, the deal should not be completed or closed until all necessary documents are received by both parties.  I still was waiting for the revised QCD to be signed by buyer and I received message saying this transaction was closed.

Lessons Learned-  Paperstac is it great place to find notes of all shapes and sizes.  For the most part, the closing process was streamlined and efficient. However, make sure you review all documentation before signing as quality control of closing documentation is lacking.  I still recommend it for purchasing notes, but buyer beware and check all paperwork thoroughly.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jun 16 2024, 05:40
Quote from @Eddie Fernandez:

I just purchased and closed my first deal on Paperstac on thought I’d share some pros and cons.

Pros-  Great selection of notes which made shopping for what I wanted easy. Once a property was selected the conversations between buyer and seller are recorded. The step by step closing process informing the buyer/seller whose action is next was streamlined. Finally, closing costs were reasonable.

Cons-  Quality control of closing docs. The Quit Claim Deed was hastily generated such as paragraph indents where there shouldn’t have been, missing information, and most importantly had the incorrect property ID from the County.  Worst yet, the seller was sent this incorrect QCD to sign and notarize which they did.  If it were not my due diligence reviewing the QCD it would have been a done deal.  This error caused about a 2 to 3 week delay to correct.  After pointing out errors to Paperstac, I never received an acknowledgment of their errors or even an apology for that matter which in my opinion is very unprofessional.  Secondly, the step by step closing process is great but there should be a time limit and better reminders  when the seller or buyer need to complete tasks. At least a 2-weeks was lost because myself or the seller were needed to complete tasks but neither of us knew it.  There should be an alert or something informing each party something is required before moving on to the next step.  Most importantly about the closing process, the deal should not be completed or closed until all necessary documents are received by both parties.  I still was waiting for the revised QCD to be signed by buyer and I received message saying this transaction was closed.

Lessons Learned-  Paperstac is it great place to find notes of all shapes and sizes.  For the most part, the closing process was streamlined and efficient. However, make sure you review all documentation before signing as quality control of closing documentation is lacking.  I still recommend it for purchasing notes, but buyer beware and check all paperwork thoroughly.

Is this normal to only get a QCD?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 16 2024, 06:49

@John Underwood

Most likely it was a land contract they were buying which also would include assignment of land contract

For deed of trust / mortgage you get the assignment and allonge

I know they are coming out with improvements to the site.

If you think the buying process is challenging wait till you have to transfer a loan for servicing (not a paperstac issue) but that process is like catching your nails on a chalkboard

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Roberts
Pro Member
#5 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Jun 16 2024, 16:05

Appreciate you posting this. I've been looking at Paperstac for a minute. This helps a lot. Did you already have a background in notes to base your DD on, on was this your first note, also?

User Stats

Votes
Eddie Fernandez
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 16 2024, 17:01
Quote from @Patrick Roberts:

Appreciate you posting this. I've been looking at Paperstac for a minute. This helps a lot. Did you already have a background in notes to base your DD on, on was this your first note, also?

I have about 2 years under my belt investing in notes and this is my third deal. I thought I’d give Paperstac a try versus buying from an individual directly which is what I’ve done the previous times. DD is the same, go through the collateral file thoroughly and make sure everything is in order.  If you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself pay an attorney or have someone you trust review it with you. I’ve taken note investing courses for both PN and NPN, watched many videos on YouTube, and reviewed many of the posts on BP from the more experienced note investors on here and felt comfortable reviewing it myself.  I’m trying to build my Roth SDIRA with enough these notes that when eligible I can start living off the income from these performing notes without touching my other investments.  Performing notes like many have mentioned before are safe and boring BUT they pay every month.  I only invest in performing notes with a minimum of 70% LTV or lower preferably in case things go south…non-performing notes may be more lucrative but for me I like boring right now.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Roberts
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Jun 16 2024, 17:10

I have about 2 years under my belt investing in notes and this is my third deal. I thought I’d give Paperstac a try versus buying from an individual directly which is what I’ve done the previous times. DD is the same, go through the collateral file thoroughly and make sure everything is in order.  If you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself pay an attorney or have someone you trust review it with you. I’ve taken note investing courses for both PN and NPN, watched many videos on YouTube, and reviewed many of the posts on BP from the more experienced note investors on here and felt comfortable reviewing it myself.  I’m trying to build my Roth SDIRA with enough these notes that when eligible I can start living off the income from these performing notes without touching my other investments.  Performing notes like many have mentioned before are safe and boring BUT they pay every month.  I only invest in performing notes with a minimum of 70% LTV or lower preferably in case things go south…non-performing notes may be more lucrative but for me I like boring right now.

Gotcha. I'm playing the same game - Roth SDIRA, although I'll prob start purchasing through an entity as well in the near future. What resources prepared your the most for competent DD? I'm loathe to pay for courses or sign up with guru-esque trainers, but also realize that botched DD can cost even more. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 16 2024, 17:32

@Patrick Roberts

You don’t need a guru overpriced course for DD - get the collateral file and send to an attorney for review

If you know the process and what docs you need an attorney can review. Paying thousands to these gurus is not worth it imho

User Stats

Votes
Eddie Fernandez
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 16 2024, 17:54

Gotcha. I'm playing the same game - Roth SDIRA, although I'll prob start purchasing through an entity as well in the near future. What resources prepared your the most for competent DD? I'm loathe to pay for courses or sign up with guru-esque trainers, but also realize that botched DD can cost even more. 

@Chris Seveney already beat me to it. Totally agree if you don’t want to mess with DD pay an attorney to review and save the money on courses.   Do a search here in the forum and I’m sure you’ll find one mentioned by the top contributors. Another great option is to join a note investing group for a nominal monthly fee. Both @Chris Seveney, Fred and Tracy Rewey, and Dan Deppen have groups you can join on their websites and FB.  The Rewey’s have an extensive library of presentations on every topic imaginable which I found very helpful. There’s lots of free stuff on YouTube as well you just need to do a search. If you really want to become a note investor you need to educate yourself.  Think of taking note courses like courses you took to get your degree.  You need to take the time and pay the fees to learn or like you said you’ll end up paying a lot more for a deal gone wrong.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Roberts
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Jun 16 2024, 18:17

@Chris Seveney already beat me to it. Totally agree if you don’t want to mess with DD pay an attorney to review and save the money on courses.   Do a search here in the forum and I’m sure you’ll find one mentioned by the top contributors. Another great option is to join a note investing group for a nominal monthly fee. Both @Chris Seveney, Fred and Tracy Rewey, and Dan Deppen have groups you can join on their websites and FB.  The Rewey’s have an extensive library of presentations on every topic imaginable which I found very helpful. There’s lots of free stuff on YouTube as well you just need to do a search. If you really want to become a note investor you need to educate yourself.  Think of taking note courses like courses you took to get your degree.  You need to take the time and pay the fees to learn or like you said you’ll end up paying a lot more for a deal gone wrong.

Agreed. I've been looking for a reputable attorney to work with but havent found one locally yet to hold my hand through DD on the first few deals. I know the basics of what's involved from originating on the mortgage side, and I've done fair amount of research/reading, but my concern is not recognizing when a small detail is missing or off. DD on the property itself isn't an issue for me - I'm most concerned with not recognizing a problem in the collateral file. I'm gearing up to buy my first note in the next 4-8 weeks, so we'll be putting rubber to the road soon enough. Just trying to use the first deal to learn as much as possible and not get burned. I've been researching on notes specifically for about a year so it's time to jump in. I came across paperstac in the process of my research and was curious about whether it was legit, so real world validation is helpful. 

User Stats

Votes
Eddie Fernandez
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 17 2024, 03:58

Agreed. I've been looking for a reputable attorney to work with but havent found one locally yet to hold my hand through DD on the first few deals. I know the basics of what's involved from originating on the mortgage side, and I've done fair amount of research/reading, but my concern is not recognizing when a small detail is missing or off. DD on the property itself isn't an issue for me - I'm most concerned with not recognizing a problem in the collateral file. I'm gearing up to buy my first note in the next 4-8 weeks, so we'll be putting rubber to the road soon enough. Just trying to use the first deal to learn as much as possible and not get burned. I've been researching on notes specifically for about a year so it's time to jump in. I came across paperstac in the process of my research and was curious about whether it was legit, so real world validation is helpful. 

Give Dickie Baldwin a call at BAG offers collateral view, or he can point you in the right direction. Also any attorney with knowledge of collateral review can look at it. It doesn’t have to be a local attorney.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Roberts
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Jun 17 2024, 04:27

Give Dickie Baldwin a call at BAG offers collateral view, or he can point you in the right direction. Also any attorney with knowledge of collateral review can look at it. It doesn’t have to be a local attorney.

Small world - Baldwin Advisory was already at the top of my list. I think Dan Deppen ran a podcast with Dickie a while back. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 17 2024, 04:57

@Patrick Roberts You can also join our JKP Groups as well.  We have a full directory of Attorneys nationwide that other note buyers have shared.  JKP has been buying notes for over a decade so feel free to check out podcasts/youtube channels for more information.  Networking and connecting with other investors is always the best way to learn. 

Actually our next Live Real Estate Notes show, is about Collateral Review with Attorney Dan Barham this Friday.  Reach out if you want more information. @Eddie Fernandez we hope to see you there as well

User Stats

Votes
Brett Burky
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jun 17 2024, 07:31

Let us know if you need help when reviewing Paperstac, we're happy to help.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Burky
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jun 17 2024, 07:54

Your transaction was a little rough, and I agree it could have been smoother. The issue is with the sellers' generation of the Quit Claim Deed. We're fixing that for our new version, which is out in July. 

It is difficult because each state has special requirements, making it tough to hardcode each variation. 

Trailing Documents: 
As for the QCD trailing, that is because the seller had to have their lawyers draft it; it is a bummer that they sent it USPS; we didn't have any control over that. 

Notifications:

You should be getting the alerts. If you have Gmail, they might have gone to the updates tab. We're going to do push notifications and SMS in the new version so that they don't get missed. 

Closing Schedule:
The transaction being closed when the documents are received, that is ideally the case. Your transaction was not the norm, anytime you get lawyers involved to draft things, things tend to slow down. 

Had it been a Deed of Trust, mortgage, or QCD done on the platform, you would have the documents before the transaction even closes. You could have the document recorded with the county by us before you even get the collateral files or do a servicer transfer. 

Apology:

By the way, I spoke personally with the seller about it at DME. We care and want you to be satisfied with your transaction. 

Conclusion:
Please don't base your opinion of the typical transaction on this unique situation. When you come back be sure to always use @paperstac in the timeline and that will immediately alert us to any issues going on. 

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Bateman
  • Investor
  • Baltimore County, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Baltimore County, MD
Replied Jun 17 2024, 08:05

While I agree that many of the educational programs are overpriced and there are gurus to stay away from, I do not recommend jumping into note investing blindly just because the barrier to entry is low. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Clearly, @Eddie Fernandez is going about it in a methodical way (with 2 years under his belt). 

Work with an experienced investor or join a group so others can look over your shoulder and fill in your knowledge gaps. Yes, having an attorney review the collateral file can be helpful but that is only part of the due diligence process. And attorneys are hit or miss as well. And this is a very state-specific asset class, so you'll likely need more than one good attorney in your network.  

User Stats

Votes
Brett Burky
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jun 17 2024, 09:44

@Eddie Fernandez - We apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. We are continually working to make trading notes as easy and seamless as possible. 

Although the QCD is currently generated by the seller, we are exploring ways for our platform to generate the QCD document along with the other closing documents we already produce, ensuring the entire process meets the high standards our customers expect. 

We did reach out to the seller to help expedite the closing process, but we should have included you, the buyer, in each step of the process. 

This would have ensured better communication and transparency. 

We apologize for this oversight and are committed to improving our procedures to keep all parties informed throughout the transaction.

User Stats

Votes
Eddie Fernandez
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 17 2024, 19:53
Quote from @Brett Burky:

@Eddie Fernandez - We apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. We are continually working to make trading notes as easy and seamless as possible. 

Although the QCD is currently generated by the seller, we are exploring ways for our platform to generate the QCD document along with the other closing documents we already produce, ensuring the entire process meets the high standards our customers expect. 

We did reach out to the seller to help expedite the closing process, but we should have included you, the buyer, in each step of the process. 

We apologize for this oversight and are committed to improving our procedures to keep all parties informed throughout the transaction.

Thank you Brett….”water under the bridge” as they say.  I thought it would be good share my experience, but like I said overall I enjoyed the experience and would definitely recommend buying on Paperstac again.  Sorry I couldn’t make it to DME this year to meet you and seller…busy time of year.  

User Stats

Votes
Brett Burky
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jun 18 2024, 07:22
Quote from @Brett Burky:

Thank you Brett….”water under the bridge” as they say.  I thought it would be good share my experience, but like I said overall I enjoyed the experience and would definitely recommend buying on Paperstac again.  Sorry I couldn’t make it to DME this year to meet you and seller…busy time of year.  

We appreciate that and the honest feedback. We do take users' experiences into account and update the site based on issues that arise in transactions. 

DME was a good time, and had a great turnout. Nathan Turner is doing wonders with that event. 

If you make it to Note Expo, be sure to come by the booth. I have a shirt for you; just tell me the size.