Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Steve Meyers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax Lien Investing

Steve Meyers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Posted

Hi all, I've been wanting to get into tax lien investing for sometime now and I know each state has their own redemption rules etc.  What areas are typically the best to invest in tax liens?  Would love to be able to pick an experienced tax lien investor's brain on this

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied

SC is a very good state.

You buy a lien and wait. You either get a check plus interest or a deed to the property shows up in the mailbox. 

Only a 12 month redemption window.

I am typically getting several deeds to houses every year.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Deas
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Colorado
Replied

I have recently started looking into this after a conversation with some friends. I have met a good number of people who are active lien holders in Florida. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied

@Steve Meyers I suggest you invest where you know the market the best and or where you know the tax liens laws the best. 

Tax sale is no longer some obscure investment only a few know about. It is well know to large investment firms and they will move their money to the states with the best terms. As money flows to better states the returns tend to average out nationwide. While there will be exceptions generally people like me and @John Underwood do well because we know our local market and the intricacies of the laws in our states.  

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied

Kind of a tough question to answer in a way.   If you live in CA and I tell you the best place to buy is Baltimore...are you really going to move or visit or know Baltimore well enough to know what to buy and what not to buy?

I really don't know anything about CA tax liens or deed investing, but normally I would say the best place to buy is your own backyard.   It is not always just about the numbers...often it is also about knowing what you are buying.   You know where the mudslides are, where the forest fires are, where the homeless encampments are, where the good and bad school districts are and so much more.   Not to say you can't learn that somewhere else, but it's very tough.

I just posted some info about San Diego sale....check that out since that is where you are.

I would also go to your local or area REIA events....network. There will likely be one or two tax lien investors in any group, you just have to find them, or if they are not members, someone will know who they are and can point you to them outside of the group. I know it is a bit of a hike, but the LA REIA has had a couple of speakers over the last couple of years and probably worth the drive. Lloyd Segal runs a very good group there.

Read the book the 16% solution for some of the basics....don't pay $20,000 for one of the national speaker who roll through town selling snake oil.   They normally know just enough to be dangerous and get you into trouble vs really teaching you how to make money.

You might be close enough to look at AZ as well.  That might be an option.

Good luck and best wishes.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Meyers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied
Quote from @John Underwood:

SC is a very good state.

You buy a lien and wait. You either get a check plus interest or a deed to the property shows up in the mailbox. 

Awesome, thanks for the insight, what site do you use to purchase these?

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied
Quote from @Steve Meyers:
Quote from @John Underwood:

SC is a very good state.

Awesome, thanks for the insight, what site do you use to purchase these?

No site. I buy in person at auction.