Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nick D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Springfield, MA
Votes |
Negotiating Liens against the property

Nick D.
  • Springfield, MA
Posted Aug 1 2022, 12:38

Have a house under contract and Seller has medical & credit card liens against the property. Can someone help break down the steps as to confirming the all of the liens against the properties 

Also when i call to negotiate these liens, does the seller need to be on the phone or can I get a power of attorney notice and do this.

I know the liens in second position on a preforclosure property can be handled, Im just unsure of the steps needed and who I need to call for each of these liens.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 1 2022, 18:09

@Nick D.

Why do you care about the liens? You should buy it with a warranty deed and title insurance. They will tell you if the attach to property

Also unless you have authorization in writing from the borrower no creditor will provide you with any information on another person. They cannot even discuss a bill in your spouses name if your not listed on it.

User Stats

Votes
Nick D.
  • Springfield, MA
Votes |
  • Springfield, MA
Replied Aug 1 2022, 18:30

The house is in preforclosure and currently has about 125K in various medical & credit card liens attached to the property that’s on the land records. I want to negotiate them down and buy the property Sub 2.

If I get power of attorney signed by the seller would I then be able to negotiate the liens, or would I have to have the seller on the call.

I want to negotiate the liens since that’s where the equity is in this deal. Mortgage is at 260, seller is 45k behind payments.   the house needs about 75k in repairs.   Recent drive by BPO was 370.  There is about 5 liens in total against the property adding up to about 125k.

I hope this makes sense. Any thoughts on the next steps as to resolving these issues.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Radney
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Aug 1 2022, 19:05
Quote from @Nick D.:

Have a house under contract and Seller has medical & credit card liens against the property. Can someone help break down the steps as to confirming the all of the liens against the properties 

Also when i call to negotiate these liens, does the seller need to be on the phone or can I get a power of attorney notice and do this.

I know the liens in second position on a preforclosure property can be handled, Im just unsure of the steps needed and who I need to call for each of these liens.

You can have a title company perform a search for a nominal fee.  If you do buy with a warranty deed as mentioned above, a title abstract search is included as a component of the title binder.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Aug 2 2022, 04:31

Despite what your fact pattern suggests, there is no equity in this property. Further, some of the junior lienholders may be paid from the proceeds of a foreclosure sale, so they are unlikely to budge even if you had valid authority to negotiate on behalf of the owner. That function is typically reserved to attorneys or real estate agents who specialize in short sales... but the latter are really close to the edge of practicing law without a license.

IMO, it would make more sense just to bid at the auction.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Aug 2 2022, 06:35

@Nick D. I don’t see any hope of negotiating these liens down…that typically is only achieved through  a short sale process, with the property selling at market value, and even then, still tough.

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Replied Aug 2 2022, 07:54

In CT you can pull up almost every towns property history online and view the liens. The seller would need to give you a third party authorization to speak with the lienholders. Medical is not too bad, but the credit card lienholders can be very nasty. You may be able to get a partial release from some - they release from the property but retain their right to pursue the owner. 

However, even with just a 260k mortgage, if the house needs 75k of work these numbers don't look worthwhile, even before the liens. Also 260 - is that the mortgage balance or the payoff amount? 45 missed payments will equal some pretty hefty back due interest and fees etc. Ive found that 90% of the time when people talk about mortgage balances they have not actually pulled a payoff statement and are shocked to see how much greater that amount is.