How find market rent in the Baltimore / Baltimore county area?

How find market rent in the Baltimore / Baltimore county area?

Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 19 votes

Hey,

I’m a newbie to real estate in the Baltimore area and I’m trying to figure how to get a ballpark number for rents. What are good resources to get accurate rents?

I have my first property under contract right now... it’s a 3 bed 2 bath 1900 sq ft detached house in Catonsville, MD.

I have some idea of what it could rent for around $1800 - $2100 from realtor sites and rental ads. But I need information and comps.

Thanks!

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Member since 2018 · 174 posts · 185 votes
6y

If you work with a Property Manager, they will help determine rent value. If not, you can go to places like Zillow, apartments.com, etc to find properties similar to yours and pull comparables!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Member since 2018 · 174 posts · 185 votes
    6y

    If you work with a Property Manager, they will help determine rent value. If not, you can go to places like Zillow, apartments.com, etc to find properties similar to yours and pull comparables!

  • Rental Property Investor · Arbutus, MD · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    Hey @Jeffrey Page,

    Rentometer.com is good source / tool. Also, if you're working with a real estate agent have them pull rental comps from the MLS (MRIS).

    You can also scan Craigslist for similar listings in the area and even email the property managers or landlords from these listings to see how much they typically rent their properties for.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Jenni Utz Thank for response! I’ll go check those sites you mentioned and maybe contact a property manager to confirm rents as well

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Rob Poole Thank you for reply! I haven’t heard of rentometer.com but I’ll be sure to check it out.

  • Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 283 posts · 228 votes
    6y

    Rentometer, bigger pockets calculator (pro/premium members), hidden gem: craigslist. 

    Open craigslist, type in "Catonsville" zoom in on the .1 or .2 mile radius where the house is, and see what properties with the same criteria are being advertised for.

    If you're still unsure, call one of the person's ads and ask them

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Sam Lewis Thank you the insight! I’ll be sure to check Craigslist.

    Do a lot of landlords list their properties on Craigslist or the MLS or something else in the Baltimore area?

  • Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 283 posts · 228 votes
    6y

    @Jeffrey Page I list all mine on Craigslist for my househack and GoSection8 for section 8 rentals

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Sam Lewis Okay good information to know. Thanks!

  • Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Don't forget to take into consideration the county property tax rate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.