Water heater in master closet (Leave it or move it?)

Water heater in master closet (Leave it or move it?)

Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes

I recently acquired two duplexes and will be doing a live in reno on one of the units. It's a total gut job and I'm trying to plan everything out. One thing I personally dislike is that the master closet, which is your standard 5' wide closet, houses the water heater. However, I'm unsure if it will actually make a difference when it comes to renting this unit out in the future and if it would be worth relocating. 

There is only one viable idea I have come up with so far and that is to add an extra little closet in the living space, next to where the washer and dryer are housed. Since all plumbing is currently below the slab, I would then have to route new plumbing to the various fixtures through the attic. However, this is a small, 1080sqft 3/2 and the kitchen, laundry and bathrooms are all along a straight line path. It *should* be relatively simple to drop pipes at each location. All the kitchen and bathroom plumbing will be updated during this process anyway, so there wouldn't be more work than routing the pipes in the attic. The longest run in the attic, from the heater to the master shower, will be around 20ft. The other thing to note is the heater is from 2005, meaning it is nearing the end of useful life anyway. This is a B/B-, mostly blue-collar area in Clearwater, FL. Rent is $1,500.00. 

0Reply
117 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
6y
Originally posted by @Phillip Rosin:

@Frank S. Why is an electric water heater is a fire hazard and why would a vent be required? There is a drain, though the pan has an extra hole, which renders it generally useless. I'll fix that either way. Are you saying leave it because it isn't worth moving and won't impact tenant retention or getting the best quality tenants?

 All electrical appliances are prone to create a fire. In this case, you are mixing storage with an electrical appliance. Is this a 4kw dual element unit? What happens if there is a spark in a tight closet?  A fire. It's likely a code- compliant installation, however.  

The tenants won't care if there is a heater in a closet. Some will not even know what that cylinder is.  Some units in Chicago have them in the kitchen, like Shameless TV show. 


The vent on the wall is simply to get some of the heat (and smoke) out; it's not required but that closet may get hot and damaged clothes (or not...).   Add a smoke detector in that closet or immediately in front.

I'm glad you have a drain.  If the heater fails or the T&P valve goes off, you will be glad you had a drain. Relocating the heater will require to relocate the drain,  that's extra money. 

Good luck,

Frank

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y
  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    6y

    Leave it alone.  Although electrical,  it's a fire hazard and you are missing a floor drain anyway.  If older than 5 years,  replace it.

    Create a removable durock or fire proof enclosure within the closet,  ad a vent grill.

  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @Frank S. Why is an electric water heater is a fire hazard and why would a vent be required? There is a drain, though the pan has an extra hole, which renders it generally useless. I'll fix that either way. Are you saying leave it because it isn't worth moving and won't impact tenant retention or getting the best quality tenants?

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 220 votes
    6y

    @Phillip Rosin

    Maybe sell it and install a tankless? Might be cheaper option than that buildout.

  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @Javier D. I looked into tankless and it doesn't look like my 100 amp service can support a large enough tankless unit. I will get some estimates from contractors and see where it goes I guess. My property manager says it shouldn't be a deal breaker for most renters. I suppose they could add more storage in other ways, if necessary. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, BC · Member since 2020 · 57 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Phillip Rosin I would replace the water heater due to its age but I would not move it unless the cost is negligible. I don't think prospective tenants will care much if at all and since the heater is electric it isn't a fire hazard, at least it isn't considered one in my area.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Replace it with a compact tankless unit ideally outside the closet. I used these for my building and they are awesome. 

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Phillip Rosin:

    @Frank S. Why is an electric water heater is a fire hazard and why would a vent be required? There is a drain, though the pan has an extra hole, which renders it generally useless. I'll fix that either way. Are you saying leave it because it isn't worth moving and won't impact tenant retention or getting the best quality tenants?

     All electrical appliances are prone to create a fire. In this case, you are mixing storage with an electrical appliance. Is this a 4kw dual element unit? What happens if there is a spark in a tight closet?  A fire. It's likely a code- compliant installation, however.  

    The tenants won't care if there is a heater in a closet. Some will not even know what that cylinder is.  Some units in Chicago have them in the kitchen, like Shameless TV show. 


    The vent on the wall is simply to get some of the heat (and smoke) out; it's not required but that closet may get hot and damaged clothes (or not...).   Add a smoke detector in that closet or immediately in front.

    I'm glad you have a drain.  If the heater fails or the T&P valve goes off, you will be glad you had a drain. Relocating the heater will require to relocate the drain,  that's extra money. 

    Good luck,

    Frank

  • Rental Property Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2013 · 124 posts · 55 votes
    6y

    that's a large water heater for 1,080 sf 3/2!  the newer water heater may be shorter but probably wider due to upgraded insulation requirements inside the appliances.  check if a new unit will actually fit in the existing closet.  

    5 feet is tight for a master.  i might add a second row of hanging space (waist-high), add another closet for storage, or enlarge the closet, first.  

    only move the water heater if the price is right.  tankless is more efficient when gas, not as efficient when electric.  if you are replacing supply runs anyway, highly recommend using PEX.  when running supply through attic, 2017 Florida Building Code - Residential requires only hot to be insulated, but make sure you insulate the cold also (attic is 140 F in summers).

    Code allows a pan for water heaters - in Florida, we add a pipe from the hole on the side and run it horizontally thru an exterior wall, similar to a condensation pipe drain.  so placement of the new water heater should account for that.  (you will also have to add this if just replacing the water heater in the closet.)

  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @Cathy Svercl it's a standard "tall" 40 gallon heater. I think it just looks big because it is in a small closet. The dimensions are typical, at around 19" diameter. 

    As for adding more storage, my only option would be to lengthen the closet by about 6" to the left, move the opening over along with it, and just have more of a pocket to the right. 

    As for running through the attic, I would only run the hot water, and leave the cold supply below the slab. I will have to see how much more relocation will be with all the other work that will be done taken into account. 

    The in place heater does have a 1" drain pipe that goes from the pan into the wall. I'm unsure whether it runs out of the unit or into the main drain. If I relocated the heater, I would find out if I'm allowed to run it into the clothes washer drain, as it would be right next to that area. 

  • Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    That water heater poses no fire hazard at all despite a previous comment. None. Is that drip pan connected to a floor drain? If not, the real risk is flooding from a leak. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    6y

    @Phillip Rosin

    A vent is required because water heaters generate a ton of heat. If you put your hand over the “hole” in the top very hot air is escaping. Usually there is a round duct over the top of the hole to exhaust the heat outside.

    If a tenant puts a shoe box over the hole it could catch fire or at least start to smolder. That whole water heater setup is bad news and is not done correctly.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Phillip Rosin

    A vent is required because water heaters generate a ton of heat. If you put your hand over the “hole” in the top very hot air is escaping. Usually there is a round duct over the top of the hole to exhaust the heat outside.

    If a tenant puts a shoe box over the hole it could catch fire or at least start to smolder. That whole water heater setup is bad news and is not done correctly.

    There's no hole in the top of an electric water heater nor any exhaust. That's for gas only. This WH is electric per the pictures.

    I'm going to be the contrarian and say move the heater, or box it in some way to separate it from the closet. You're already tearing the place up doing remodeling and you'll wish that you did it later. I don't know about Clearwater but where I am renters would think it is weird to have a water heater in the master bedroom closet. 

    If you've got a reasonable place to move it, I would do that. Another option: leave it in place but put a low-boy in there with removable panels. You can get low-boys that are about 40 gallons so you don't really lose any capacity. Then you can just run the rod all the way, and the only thing the tenant sees is a bump-out on the floor of the closet. Make sure you've got a disconnect right there at the heater, whatever you do - I didn't notice if you had one in the picture. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @JD Martin thanks for jumping in. Yes, electric so no hazard there. I had considered a low-boy, but they are too wide for the closet. I do have that spot mentioned where I could stick it. I just need to see what the additional labor will cost. No matter the approach everything will be done correctly. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    6y

    @Phillip Rosin Move the closet? Partition off the water heater half and make it a 3 foot closet and create another small closet. Maybe.

  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    Quick update. I had a plumber come by and he suggested relocating the heater to the attic, above where it is now. I didn't realize there was enough room and that it isn't an issue to support it up there. So, I'm getting quotes to go that route. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.