$40K potential septic repair on a $40K house…what to do?

$40K potential septic repair on a $40K house…what to do?

Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 8 votes

How often do septic tanks back up to where the owner is forced to do something about it, say with sewage backing up in to the yard or the basement?

I realize the answer is “it depends” but here is more information.

The house in question is 1950s built 2 / 1, 900 s.f. with septic tank in an area where 95% are connected to sewer. House is worth about $40K, it’s a C+ neighborhood. No DOTs or liens against the house. I’ve had the house for two years. No septic issues, and it’s a tight little house getting a 2% rent to value ratio without major tenant hassles.

I've had a mind to sell the property, but agents have told me that buyers using FHA loans will require a septic inspection (have not verified this). Calling around to different septic tank / sewer contractors, they are telling me that a septic tank that is 70 years old will almost certainly fail a septic inspection, which kills the prospects of most retail sales. That generally leaves selling to another investor as-is.

The septic contractors have told me to expect at least a $10K to $40K job to fix the issue if the worst happens, such as with backup into the yard or the basement. Those prices are estimates whether I fix or replace the current septic tank or connect to the sanitary sewer (about 30 ft away and downhill). That’s serious dough for a house worth only $40K. The city, county, and sewer company tell me they don’t help out with the cost, it’s all put on the homeowner.

I suppose what I have now is a failing tank that’s leaking, but otherwise not failing in the sense that it likely won’t come back up into the house. Or will it? It's working now and it's 70 years old, so maybe it will just continue...or am I teetering on the edge? 

So, do I roll the dice and keep it, get the sludge cleaned out periodically, treat it with chemicals and what not, or, should I move on and sell it? 

0Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 226 posts · 115 votes
7y

New septic around here runs about 10k for a traditional system. Any special septic systems start at 16k and go up from there...this is for a new system with nothing existing....I dont know the added cost to remove existing.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I just sold an inherited house a few months ago to a FHA buyer. It had a septic tank from 1963. My relative owned the house since the 1970s. Never did anything with the septic tank. Did not even know where it or the leach field was located.

    FHA did required a pump and inspect, but CA pretty much requires it too.

    Most costly part was locating the tank.  It was under the paved driveway.  

    Tank and whole system was fine.  Did need to replace the 2 lids as they hit them when digging down to the lids.

    I too, expected the worse, but was very happy the tank and leach fields were fine.

  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

    I just sold an inherited house a few months ago to a FHA buyer. It had a septic tank from 1963. My relative owned the house since the 1970s. Never did anything with the septic tank. Did not even know where it or the leach field was located.

    FHA did required a pump and inspect, but CA pretty much requires it too.

    Most costly part was locating the tank.  It was under the paved driveway.  

    Tank and whole system was fine.  Did need to replace the 2 lids as they hit them when digging down to the lids.

    I too, expected the worse, but was very happy the tank and leach fields were fine.

    Hi Lynnette, your situation might be a bit different. Just being in California probably means the value of the home is manyfold larger than $40K. If this were a $400K house, I'd not worry about a thing. I'd just get it done, whatever was required Shoot, it probably would have been done already before I bought it. What was the cost of your repair, if you don't mind? 

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    This was is a rural area of CA, house value was $200k, so much more than your house, but definitely not the half million dollar homes area.

    It cost right at $2000 total for:

    plumber to camera the pipe and locate the septic tank

    backhoe to dig up the driveway piece by piece trying least damage

    septic contractor to pump and inspect tank and system

    septic contractor to replace the 2 lids

    backhoe contractor to refill the driveway

    sand/gravel the fill around the lids

    reblacktop the damaged areas of the driveway

  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

    This was is a rural area of CA, house value was $200k, so much more than your house, but definitely not the half million dollar homes area.

    It cost right at $2000 total for:

    plumber to camera the pipe and locate the septic tank

    backhoe to dig up the driveway piece by piece trying least damage

    septic contractor to pump and inspect tank and system

    septic contractor to replace the 2 lids

    backhoe contractor to refill the driveway

    sand/gravel the fill around the lids

    reblacktop the damaged areas of the driveway

    I could live with that, not bad!!! That almost seems unrealistically low. But it seems you weren't required to replace the tanks, just to fix them. 

    I can't get it from the horse's mouth here as to the regulations, but supposedly if you have a septic tank fail and the county learns about it, you're on the hook to remediate the damage and then connect to the sewer. A permit to fix or replace septic tank will not be granted. So it may be a don't ask don't tell situation for this septic tank. The real double whammy is that after paying $10K or more to hookup, therein begins a monthly bill to the sewer district ad infinitum. 

    How big was the area they tore up to do all that, 5' x 5' or so? 

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 226 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    New septic around here runs about 10k for a traditional system. Any special septic systems start at 16k and go up from there...this is for a new system with nothing existing....I dont know the added cost to remove existing.

  • Dylan VargasPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 625 posts · 336 votes
    7y

    @Larry Bowers Welcome! I do not know how a new septic would cost 40k for this house you describe. 10k to 12k tops. There really would have to be some crazy land issues I guess. At any rate here in California you need an inspection on a septic to sell the house in most situations. I would have the septic pumped and inspected. You dont want sewage backing up as this will create more problems and money. Your county or city may not require sewer hook up, you have to check. The sewer hook up can also vary by street if they have the hook ups at the street or not. Your septic may be fine or maybe had the tank replaced 20 years ago. Go down to the permit department at your county and city and see if they have any information on the house. Good luck and keep us posted.

  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dylan Vargas:

    @Larry Bowers Welcome! I do not know how a new septic would cost 40k for this house you describe. 10k to 12k tops. There really would have to be some crazy land issues I guess. At any rate here in California you need an inspection on a septic to sell the house in most situations. I would have the septic pumped and inspected. You dont want sewage backing up as this will create more problems and money. Your county or city may not require sewer hook up, you have to check. The sewer hook up can also vary by street if they have the hook ups at the street or not. Your septic may be fine or maybe had the tank replaced 20 years ago. Go down to the permit department at your county and city and see if they have any information on the house. Good luck and keep us posted.

    Dylan, I perhaps was not clear. $10K will possibly do it for the tank, at a minimum. Likely much more thank $10K since the old one will need to be dug up and replaced. But I am rather sure I will have to connect the sewer, and at least anecdotally from what I've gathered talking to dozen or so gov't folks and contractors, I could be in for $40K. the real cost is probably lower, who knows, but we all seem to agree that $10K is a minimum. That's a lot of money on a C+ $40K house. 

    I came here not seeking knowledge of septic tanks so much, but whether to sell this house and dodge a bullet or to just continue renting it out and take good care of a system that will certainly fail an inspection and hope for the best. 

  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Martin:

    New septic around here runs about 10k for a traditional system. Any special septic systems start at 16k and go up from there...this is for a new system with nothing existing....I dont know the added cost to remove existing.

    I am getting similar quotes to yours, so that's somewhat reassuring. What would you do with a $40K house with such a problem though? Do I have a bullet to dodge here or just keep calm and carry on?

  • Dylan VargasPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 625 posts · 336 votes
    7y

    @Larry Bowers I just paid $7500 for a much larger septic tank. The leech field would have been another $2500 but I didn't need that replaced. Usually we are more expensive here in California but maybe not. When you go to sell the house the new septic adds value at least in our area as well as new sewer hook up. I dont think you will be able to "dodge a bullet" in your situation unless the septic passes inspection. If you keep the property and your cash flow is good its just the cost of having the house. I think you said you own the house free and clear and rents for %2 of value so it will not take too long to get your money back. Say 1/12 years at most? 

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 226 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    @Larry Bowers always keep calm and carry on but get some hard quotes from septic guys before you lose your poo! ha 40k seems really high unless you have alot of poo to clean up. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    $40K is high, I had one replaced for under $10K and I know of another installed new for about the same.

    Most people buying a house with a septic will want it inspected.  That is what happened with the one I replaced though I was the buyer and made the replacement a condition of the sale and had it professionally done prior to closing.  So you could risk it though if you know for a fact there is a problem with it and don't disclose it, you might end up with problems.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 553 posts · 314 votes
    7y

    I would call an engineering contractor and find out what things actually cost before I got excited about it.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Larry Bowers:
    Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

    This was is a rural area of CA, house value was $200k, so much more than your house, but definitely not the half million dollar homes area.

    It cost right at $2000 total for:

    plumber to camera the pipe and locate the septic tank

    backhoe to dig up the driveway piece by piece trying least damage

    septic contractor to pump and inspect tank and system

    septic contractor to replace the 2 lids

    backhoe contractor to refill the driveway

    sand/gravel the fill around the lids

    reblacktop the damaged areas of the driveway

    I could live with that, not bad!!! That almost seems unrealistically low. But it seems you weren't required to replace the tanks, just to fix them. 

    I can't get it from the horse's mouth here as to the regulations, but supposedly if you have a septic tank fail and the county learns about it, you're on the hook to remediate the damage and then connect to the sewer. A permit to fix or replace septic tank will not be granted. So it may be a don't ask don't tell situation for this septic tank. The real double whammy is that after paying $10K or more to hookup, therein begins a monthly bill to the sewer district ad infinitum. 

    How big was the area they tore up to do all that, 5' x 5' or so? 

    The septic tank has 2 lids, so there was a hole about 5 feet by 5 feet at one lid.  But once they found that lid they knew the orientation of the tank they knew exactly where the other lid was and that hole was 3 feet by 3 feet.

     There was no repairs needed for the tank.  But they did damage both lids in the process and had to replace both lids.

    I would say to inspect your system before getting excited about it as it may be fine.  And if it is fine, then sell it fast while your inspection is still good!

    If its not fine, hook up to the sewer, hope you can just fill the tank, and sell it before the sewer fees eat you alive!

    I would invest what was needed to keep the asset viable and market it as new and improved or newly inspected.

  • Investor · Northeast, NE · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 83 votes
    7y

    get a firm quote on hooking up to city.  Tenants should pay monthly bills.  That old leeach fields days are numbered.  All you need is a leaky toidy to wreck and drown the system.  Or one big party that includes a keg of beer.  You want to dig in fall time, not winter, or wet springs.

  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Don Meinke:

    get a firm quote on hooking up to city.  Tenants should pay monthly bills.  That old leeach fields days are numbered.  All you need is a leaky toidy to wreck and drown the system.  Or one big party that includes a keg of beer.  You want to dig in fall time, not winter, or wet springs.

    Re: "keg of beer", while I don't know the condition of the leach field, I do feel like I am teetering on the edge. 

    Got a couple of guys coming out on Monday, so we'll see. I see you mention when to do a job like this. I understand not doing it in the winter with frozen ground or snow in the way. Why not dig in summer? 

  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:
    Originally posted by @Larry Bowers:
    Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

    This was is a rural area of CA, house value was $200k, so much more than your house, but definitely not the half million dollar homes area.

    It cost right at $2000 total for:

    plumber to camera the pipe and locate the septic tank

    backhoe to dig up the driveway piece by piece trying least damage

    septic contractor to pump and inspect tank and system

    septic contractor to replace the 2 lids

    backhoe contractor to refill the driveway

    sand/gravel the fill around the lids

    reblacktop the damaged areas of the driveway

    I could live with that, not bad!!! That almost seems unrealistically low. But it seems you weren't required to replace the tanks, just to fix them. 

    I can't get it from the horse's mouth here as to the regulations, but supposedly if you have a septic tank fail and the county learns about it, you're on the hook to remediate the damage and then connect to the sewer. A permit to fix or replace septic tank will not be granted. So it may be a don't ask don't tell situation for this septic tank. The real double whammy is that after paying $10K or more to hookup, therein begins a monthly bill to the sewer district ad infinitum. 

    How big was the area they tore up to do all that, 5' x 5' or so? 

    The septic tank has 2 lids, so there was a hole about 5 feet by 5 feet at one lid.  But once they found that lid they knew the orientation of the tank they knew exactly where the other lid was and that hole was 3 feet by 3 feet.

     There was no repairs needed for the tank.  But they did damage both lids in the process and had to replace both lids.

    I would say to inspect your system before getting excited about it as it may be fine.  And if it is fine, then sell it fast while your inspection is still good!

    If its not fine, hook up to the sewer, hope you can just fill the tank, and sell it before the sewer fees eat you alive!

    I would invest what was needed to keep the asset viable and market it as new and improved or newly inspected.

    Re: "inspect your system before getting excited about it as it may be fine"
    I've been told by different, unconnected parties about the sewer and passing inspection. Much the same as the chance for snow in the forecast this week. NO WAY it will pass. It has to do with its age, from the 1950s, before baffle walls and multiple lid systems were in place, and then of course the wear and tear on the structure in that time. In any case, I will post my full story to this thread when I get through with all this, hopefully it will help others in this situation. 

    I am keeping calm and proceeding with getting bids to at least know if the cost will be $10K, or up to $40K. I should know something by the middle of next week. That's a wide range and could look at it as a capex with a 2 to 3 year payback with what the rents have been on it. It's soothing to think about it from that perspective. 

    Just like an old car that is driven "til the wheels fall off" this is the strategy I am considering if I keep it as a rental. I had a '95 Honda Civic that had over 300K miles on it...it just wouldn't die...and finally sold it for not much less than I paid for it. Maybe this tank is the same. The tenants would have to move out for sure when the tank dies though, hopefully not in winter. 

  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    I want to close out this thread with my findings and recommendations from septic & sewer contractors and the local sewer company. One bid to connect to the sewer is $14,700 all in. But the guy giving me the bid says it is very unlikely I will have problems if I get the tank cleaned out regularly. There is a slight risk that a tank so old could be damaged and the lid or cleanouts would need replacing or repairing. He said he's never bid and did a sewer connection job for a house of this level before. It's probably just me worrying too much. 

    The biggest concern for this dwelling going forward would be tenants and foreign objects being flushed or using the correct type of laundry detergent. 

    Many might see the septic tank as an advantage avoiding a separate sewer bill that runs ~$40 - $50/month.

    I am really surprised there isn't some type of subsidy or program to help out homeowners that meet certain criteria in this predicament. Maybe the local sewer district could give a cut rate sewer service for a number of years. After the $14,700 job, thereafter starts the sewer bill.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.