"Dug-in" Tenant Move-out: 3/2 in Jacksonville

"Dug-in" Tenant Move-out: 3/2 in Jacksonville

Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 380 votes

I'm just starting this thread to give newbies some perspective on the necessity for CapEx reserves. My tenants of 3 years just moved out and they were pretty "dug in" so to speak. This property was my very first rental. I bought it in 2008 with a no money down VA loan and I lived in it with my family for 4 years during my Navy time in Jacksonville. It has been a rental since 2012 and the tenant who just moved out was only the second tenant. This tenant was under property management (while I lived out of state) and there were no red flags until now. The rent was always on time and we conducted several short notice inspections during their tenancy with no major surprises. As you can see the photos below, they did not keep a tidy house and they managed to sneek in a large dog as well. My move-out rehab will include: full exterior pressure washing and repainting, full interior repainting, removal of all carpet (and replace with tile), resodding the backyard, filling about 50 nail holes, re-installing hardwired smoke detectors (they removed all of them), and landscaping. Total move-out work is going to run about $3,000-$4,000 with some of that going towards upgrades (like bluetooth smart locks, new hardware, new door knobs, etc).

All of the bad things being laid out, my wife and I are excited to get the property turned over and get the rents jacked up to market rates (from $1100 to $1395). 

1Reply
15 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Unfortunately the state of the house seems pretty normal for a 3 year tenant.   Most tenants are never going to treat your rental like they would if they owned it (or perhaps they'd be slobs in their own properties too!)

    Carpets are a disaster in rentals.  We do like the Allure instead.

    When ever I go into a rental after someone has moved out (and after I've wiped the tears from my eyes at the thought of the work that needs to be done) I always try to look at the bright side of things.   Since I bought all my rentals with cash I'm often looking for reasons to take deductions off next years taxes.  Repairs fit the bill!

    And yes, I'm also figuring in how much I can raise the rent for the next set of tenants.

    Good luck..

    Gail

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 380 votes
    9y

    @Gail K., this isn't my first move-out, but it's definitely my worst so far. I believe some people will live in filth regardless of whether they own it or not. 

    As for Allure, you're talking about vinyl plank flooring, right? I looked it up and it looks great but I think I'd rather go ahead and replace this nasty carpet with ceramic tile to match the rest of the house (as closely as I can). I did vinyl plank on my duplex in Chattanooga, but it hasn't been there long enough to serve as a wear test yet. 

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    9y

    This looks like a lot of my longer term move outs. Agree with Gail, I like the LVP as carpets lifetime go way down when it's a rental. I was pretty shocked the first time I saw the outline of the bed on the walls... but it seems to be how it goes and mine are A neighborhood rentals. $1800/month plus. Crazy how some live and the mindset of the tenant. I have picked some great ones lately who take incredible care of our houses, that's the key but sometimes you don't know what you have until they move all of their things out. 

    Thanks for sharing, the security deposit isn't going to cover everything you have planned, that's for sure. 

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    I wouldn't use hard wired detectors. All my tenants seem to remove the screw ins as well so I just rescrew them with new tenants. Also at that rent level I wouldn't be sodding anything. You should be around 2-3k in expenses minus their deposit which is normal expense for a 3 year rental period
  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    These pictures are kind of shocking but I guess it is to be somewhat expected. I hate that this is what you had to fave after the move-out but this is what I love about this site-  we can all share information like this to help others. I am relatively new to this game so this is post has taught me a few lessons.  Hopefully the turnover can help you get better level of tenant. 

  • Investor · Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 15 votes
    9y

     A plus 1 for Allure as well. They make it look like hardwood, of course, I use in bed rooms, living rooms and halls. They also make it look like tile, I like that for kitchens and baths. It does not care about water. It is easy to install.

    As far as wear goes, I have seen it wear out after about 3 to 4 years in a halfway house. This facility houses between 100 and 150 people generally, and we use allure in the dinning rooms. They are what I would call a high traffic area for sure. I would also have to say that the allure was not the first floor that we used in the dining rooms, we have used commercial tile, as well as sheet goods. The allure has held up better than them. The allure will scratch though, you would want to make sure that you use chairs with felt feet that is if had any control over that.

  • Investor · Oskaloosa, IA · Member since 2014 · 126 posts · 65 votes
    9y
    If you can rehab this place for $3,000 -- $4,000, you are one hell of a rehabber -- LOL. Looks like a $8,000 project to me. Good luck.
  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    9y

    I always run a "sales by customer" report before inspecting a presumed nasty move out.  It helps to know how much money the tenant paid me , before I am facing the work that needs to be done.    At $1,100 a month, this tenant paid you nearly $40K for the three years they rented it from you.

    There -- don't you feel better?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.