Electrical Outlet Troubleshooting

Electrical Outlet Troubleshooting

Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 9 votes

Both outlets in the kitchen of one of my rental units stopped working. They are both GFCI outlets, and the one jumps from the other. I can't reset them. There are no other GFCI outlets that I can see that they might be connected to (that might be tripped). The breaker didn't trip.  Also, both outlets tested hot.

I replaced the devices and I can't get the new ones to reset either.

Any advice?

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Durham, NC · Member since 2013 · 502 posts · 215 votes
10y

That is a strange wiring. You need one GFCI outlet to feed the other outlets non GFCIs at the counter. Depending of make and age, it could also be a faulty breaker or a lose connection n a junction box, if a lack of power is the problem. A lose connection can also create a current leak tripping your GFCIs permanently. It is detective's work.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Price:

    Both outlets in the kitchen of one of my rental units stopped working. They are both GFCI outlets, and the one jumps from the other. I can't reset them. There are no other GFCI outlets that I can see that they might be connected to (that might be tripped). The breaker didn't trip.  Also, both outlets tested hot.

    I replaced the devices and I can't get the new ones to reset either.

    Any advice?

     So they don't reset and they done't work? Do you have a GFCI outlet connected to the stove or fridge? It might be behind those. 

    It's strange to me that after replacement they are still tripped. Let's see if you get an answer here. If not I will give my electrician friend a call for you. 

    Tony

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2013 · 502 posts · 215 votes
    10y

    That is a strange wiring. You need one GFCI outlet to feed the other outlets non GFCIs at the counter. Depending of make and age, it could also be a faulty breaker or a lose connection n a junction box, if a lack of power is the problem. A lose connection can also create a current leak tripping your GFCIs permanently. It is detective's work.

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I did not check behind the stove and fridge. Everything else seems to work, so I didn't think to. Good idea.

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    You say the outlets tested hot, but have you tried testing the wires with the outlets disconnected? Have you tried temporarily installing regular outlets to see if they work? Could you have the line & load reversed? Have you found and checked everything else (receptacles, lights, switches, etc.) on the circuit?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 189 posts · 84 votes
    10y
    Disconnect the gfci recep and ensure you have 120v across the wired then look at the back of the gfci outlet itself, one set (top or bottom) will be labeled "line" and the other "load". Make sure your hot wires coming from panel go to the set labeled "line" and the set feeding the non gfci recep are connected to the "load" side.
  • Investor · La Grange, KY · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    GFCI's shouldn't be chained together, it causes interference in the ground fault detection.  Whichever one is upstream should be GFCI, the downstream should be connected to the load terminals on the GFCI, this lets it use the GFCI circuit of that plug even though it's not GFCI itself. 

    If that's not it, you might have a bad breaker or a short in the line. 

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 293 posts · 109 votes
    10y
    Like other have said, make sure you don't have line and load reversed. Let us know what the problem is when you figure it out as well.
  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    Make sure you have a good neutral and ground. Also make sure that the line in neutral and line out neutral are correct Lesson on how a gfi works Gfi measures the current going out to current coming back. They have to be with in 5 ma or it will trip.
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Chris, 1) try resetting GFCI with no cables plugged in (load).   2) Reset dedicated breaker.  3) Check for loose wiring at breaker.  4)  Switch-off dedicated breaker and then recheck GFI outlet for any foreign voltage and correct plug polarity. 

    Good luck, John

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2013 · 136 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    I had a similar problem but I only had one GFCI. The root cause was a loose neutral in the circuit upstream from the GFCI. Test the voltage to make sure you're getting 120V (I was getting 92V).

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Chris Price,

    An electrician once told me you NEVER connect a GFCI to protect another GFCI.

    Makes sense to me, but I've not researched it.

    Maybe best to get a licensed pro for this one. Could be something goofy going on like Ahmad mentioned.

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I'm going to try again today. Troubleshooting in this order:

    1) Pull out oven and fridge to look for more downstream GFCI outlets I may have missed.

    2) Check the voltage coming from my hot line to make sure it is 120.

    3) Disconnect the upstream outlet and retest the hot line downstream to confirm it is actually downstream and not getting extra voltage from somewhere.

    4) Replace the down stream outlet with a regular old outlet.

    5) Make sure everything is wired correctly at the devices in question.

    6) Admit defeat and call a professional.

    Thanks for all your help. This has been an educarion. I'll check in when it's all fixed.

  • Investor · Madisonville, LA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    How many pieces of Romex are in the box? The first one should have 2, the feed from the panel and the one going to the other receptacle box. The other box(last in line) should only have the feed from the other box. If you have two in there, it's feeding something else. Is there a garbage disposal powered lurking under there you didn't know about? I agree with others. Gfi should not feed another gfi.
  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    So what was the out come?
  • Hayward, CA · Member since 2009 · 258 posts · 62 votes
    9y
    Get a gfci tester. I bet bad neutral or ground
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.