Cost of repairs; how do you do it?

Cost of repairs; how do you do it?

Realtor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 3 votes

I tried to find a thread but didn't see one. My question is for all of you experienced investors. How do you estimate cost of repairs when you go look at a potential fix & flip? Do you have a google doc spreadsheet that you can plug numbers into, or do you have a rough estimation sheet such as house is A B or C rehab, and A is going to cost $X per sq ft to fix correctly? I am assuming you don't have a contractor come do a walk through with you. Or do you just take an insane amount of pictures and go over them with the contractor? If you use a list, is it something that you have gone to the hardware store and priced everything yourself, or would a good contractor know? Lots of questions haha. 

Thank you all in advance!

1Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

@Brant Vaught 

I'm not sure how you could have missed ALL the information available on this topic.  It's literally everywhere on BP.  The best place to start is with The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs...

http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Longview, TX · Member since 2012 · 368 posts · 131 votes
    12y
    I did it on best guess. And I don't guess very well :( I'd like to see responses as well. Ultimately I just failed to account for a lot that should have been obvious but I mentally discounted on my walkthru. Doors, trim, and fixtures probably cost me 4-5 grand that I just overlooked. There was plenty of other items as well. Next time I will have a more regimented evaluation structure. One huge benefit to doing it once is that I have a data point on cost and a more developed understanding if what a rehab really is.
  • Realtor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Ouch, did you still turn a profit? Also, if you don't mind my asking, what did you use to fund the deal?

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Brant Vaught 

    I'm not sure how you could have missed ALL the information available on this topic.  It's literally everywhere on BP.  The best place to start is with The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs...

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

  • Realtor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Hattie Dizmond thank you for that most helpful comment and I really appreciate the snark! It is good for a well rounded diet to get a healthy dose at least twice a week in my opinion:) I'll check out the book, but in the mean time, do you have anything else helpful to add?  

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Sorry...just know that if I'm snarky, it's always in fun!

    Actually, finding information was probably what I struggled with most, when I first started on BP.  The way search results are presented can make it a bit difficult.  It takes a little while to develop an approach to how to sift through the information.  So, in the spirit of fair play, I've done a little research to get you started.  ;-)

    Here are some other BP links that may help...

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/04/21/estimate-rehab-costs/

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2009/11/5/...

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/03/17/tultimate-guide-house-flipping-costs/

    Now, as for practical advice, I have a spreadsheet where I have broken a house down into components (see below).  I make notes, but don't try to complete my spreadsheet, while I'm touring the property.  I simply grade each area as Excellent, Good, Average, Poor and take pictures.  That frees me up to continue visiting with the owner and building that relationship.

    Now, I have an area I "farm" for deals.  Within that area, I know what constitutes high-end, mid range and low-end finishes.  Based upon the price point of the comparable properties, I know what finish buyers in that specific neighborhood would expect.  I use that information to determine a rough estimate of price per for the various items within each component of the property.  Once I have completed my rough estimate, I apply a 25% contingency to the total.  That is the amount I use for my offer.  My contract contains an option period for inspections.  During that inspection period (not a weasel clause, this is standard in Texas with a small option fee), I have a contractor and/or other experts (if I suspect foundation or other special issues) fully evaluate the property. I send the contractor in with my initial Scope of Work statement, from my walk-through, estimate those costs and tell me if there is anything else that will have to be done & those costs.

    If the estimates come back outside my contingency, I can try to renegotiate the price, based upon those expert findings, or I can terminate the contract, only losing the small option fee, which was non-refundable.

    Since you took snarky in stride...here's a look at how I break down the house on the initial walk-through...(and if you're interested, PM me with your email, and I'll send you the Excel workbook that includes an investor presentation page and a comparable analysis report format.  You'll see just how big a geek I truly am!)

    Rehab ProForma
    Condition Poor $48,000
    Kitchen Poor $15,000
    Living Areas Average $1,000
    Bedrooms Average $1,000
    Baths Poor $15,000
    Common Areas Average $1,000
    Exterior Average $2,000
    Other N/A $0

    After I get back home, it turns into this...

    Post Inspection Estimate Estimate Total
    Kitchen 7575
    Cabinets 500
    Countertops 2500
    Sink 300
    Faucet 75
    Floors 2000
    Walls 500
    Ceiling 0
    Appliances 750
    Range 750
    Oven
    Cooktop
    Microwave
    Dishwasher
    Disposal
    Fridge
    Fixures/Other 200
    Living Areas 3150
    LR1 1700
    Walls 500
    Floors 1000
    Ceiling 0
    Fixures/Other 200
    Fireplace(s) 0
    LR2 1450
    Walls 500
    Floors 750
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 200
    Fireplace(s) 0
    LR3 0
    Walls
    Floors
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other
    Fireplace(s)
    Bedrooms 2800
    MBr 1200
    Walls 300
    Floors 700
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 200
    Br2 800
    Walls 300
    Floors 400
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 100
    BR3 800
    Walls 300
    Floors 400
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 100
    BR4 0
    Walls
    Floors
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other
    Baths 4225
    Mbr Bath 2700
    Cabinets 250
    Countertops 300
    Sink 100
    Faucet 50
    Tub
    Shower 1000
    Walls 300
    Floors 500
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 200
    Bath2 1525
    Cabinets 100
    Countertops 250
    Sink 75
    Faucet 50
    Tub/Shower 50
    Walls 300
    Floors 500
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 200
    Bath3 0
    Cabinets
    Countertops
    Sink
    Faucet
    Tub/Shower
    Walls
    Floors
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other
    Common Areas 2650
    Fixtures 400
    Ceilings
    Flooring 750
    Walls 1500
    Exterior 3750
    Paint/Brick 2500
    Landscape - Front 750
    Landscape - Back 500
    Pool/Other
    Roof
    Other
    Other 700
    Doors - Interior 200
    Doors - Exterior
    Windows
    Water Heater 500
    HVAC
    Plumbing
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Sorry...those tables looked fine, when I pasted them in, but BP ate them.  Just hit me up, and I'll email it to you.

  • Investor · Valparaiso, FL · Member since 2014 · 374 posts · 76 votes
    12y

    Hello @Hattie Dizmond what kind of option fee do you offer? Is it a set price or a percentage of the purchase price? Is that something that is common or just common in your area?

    Thank You,

    Paul

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Paul S. 

    The Option Fee is discretionary and negotiable.  I haven't seen a buyer demand a higher Option Fee than whatever I propose.  I usually offer $50 or $100.  It's going to be non-refundable. 

    I guess you would call it a "Texas thing".  There isn't an assumed or defacto inspection period in Texas.  The promulgated TREC contract includes an optional Option Period as a selection. 

  • Investor · Valparaiso, FL · Member since 2014 · 374 posts · 76 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Hattie Dizmond that seems very reasonable and is something I am going to jot down in my book of notes.

    Paul

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond:

    Sorry...those tables looked fine, when I pasted them in, but BP ate them.  Just hit me up, and I'll email it to you.

    Post the document in the BP "fileplace" and then put a link to that posted doc here. 

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond:

    Sorry...just know that if I'm snarky, it's always in fun!

    Actually, finding information was probably what I struggled with most, when I first started on BP.  The way search results are presented can make it a bit difficult.  It takes a little while to develop an approach to how to sift through the information.  So, in the spirit of fair play, I've done a little research to get you started.  ;-)

    I also appreciate your snark and agree with your statement about the search results. 

    It can be very time consuming sifting through threads that are similar in topic, but don't quite have what you are looking for. 

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2013 · 309 posts · 150 votes
    12y

    Hattie, I sent you an email.

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y

    Quoting the post of @Hattie Dizmond  will make the table readable on your screen.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond:

    Sorry...those tables looked fine, when I pasted them in, but BP ate them.  Just hit me up, and I'll email it to you.

    Post the document in the BP "fileplace" and then put a link to that posted doc here. 

    Thanks, Steve.  Great idea.  I'll do that tonight, when I'm no longer behind my corporate firewall.

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond:
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond:

    Sorry...those tables looked fine, when I pasted them in, but BP ate them.  Just hit me up, and I'll email it to you.

    Post the document in the BP "fileplace" and then put a link to that posted doc here. 

    Thanks, Steve.  Great idea.  I'll do that tonight, when I'm no longer behind my corporate firewall.

  • Realtor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @Hattie Dizmond thank you! Great post and some good info on there. I'll definitely take a look through that. Sorry it took me so long to respond, I have been on kind of a vacation. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 156 posts · 101 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond:

    Sorry...just know that if I'm snarky, it's always in fun!

    Actually, finding information was probably what I struggled with most, when I first started on BP.  The way search results are presented can make it a bit difficult.  It takes a little while to develop an approach to how to sift through the information.  So, in the spirit of fair play, I've done a little research to get you started.  ;-)

    Here are some other BP links that may help...

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/04/21/estimate-rehab-costs/

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2009/11/5/...

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/03/17/tultimate-guide-house-flipping-costs/

    Now, as for practical advice, I have a spreadsheet where I have broken a house down into components (see below).  I make notes, but don't try to complete my spreadsheet, while I'm touring the property.  I simply grade each area as Excellent, Good, Average, Poor and take pictures.  That frees me up to continue visiting with the owner and building that relationship.

    Now, I have an area I "farm" for deals.  Within that area, I know what constitutes high-end, mid range and low-end finishes.  Based upon the price point of the comparable properties, I know what finish buyers in that specific neighborhood would expect.  I use that information to determine a rough estimate of price per for the various items within each component of the property.  Once I have completed my rough estimate, I apply a 25% contingency to the total.  That is the amount I use for my offer.  My contract contains an option period for inspections.  During that inspection period (not a weasel clause, this is standard in Texas with a small option fee), I have a contractor and/or other experts (if I suspect foundation or other special issues) fully evaluate the property. I send the contractor in with my initial Scope of Work statement, from my walk-through, estimate those costs and tell me if there is anything else that will have to be done & those costs.

    If the estimates come back outside my contingency, I can try to renegotiate the price, based upon those expert findings, or I can terminate the contract, only losing the small option fee, which was non-refundable.

    Since you took snarky in stride...here's a look at how I break down the house on the initial walk-through...(and if you're interested, PM me with your email, and I'll send you the Excel workbook that includes an investor presentation page and a comparable analysis report format.  You'll see just how big a geek I truly am!)

    Rehab ProForma
    Condition Poor $48,000
    Kitchen Poor $15,000
    Living Areas Average $1,000
    Bedrooms Average $1,000
    Baths Poor $15,000
    Common Areas Average $1,000
    Exterior Average $2,000
    Other N/A $0

    After I get back home, it turns into this...

    Post Inspection Estimate Estimate Total
    Kitchen 7575
    Cabinets 500
    Countertops 2500
    Sink 300
    Faucet 75
    Floors 2000
    Walls 500
    Ceiling 0
    Appliances 750
    Range 750
    Oven
    Cooktop
    Microwave
    Dishwasher
    Disposal
    Fridge
    Fixures/Other 200
    Living Areas 3150
    LR1 1700
    Walls 500
    Floors 1000
    Ceiling 0
    Fixures/Other 200
    Fireplace(s) 0
    LR2 1450
    Walls 500
    Floors 750
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 200
    Fireplace(s) 0
    LR3 0
    Walls
    Floors
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other
    Fireplace(s)
    Bedrooms 2800
    MBr 1200
    Walls 300
    Floors 700
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 200
    Br2 800
    Walls 300
    Floors 400
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 100
    BR3 800
    Walls 300
    Floors 400
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 100
    BR4 0
    Walls
    Floors
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other
    Baths 4225
    Mbr Bath 2700
    Cabinets 250
    Countertops 300
    Sink 100
    Faucet 50
    Tub
    Shower 1000
    Walls 300
    Floors 500
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 200
    Bath2 1525
    Cabinets 100
    Countertops 250
    Sink 75
    Faucet 50
    Tub/Shower 50
    Walls 300
    Floors 500
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other 200
    Bath3 0
    Cabinets
    Countertops
    Sink
    Faucet
    Tub/Shower
    Walls
    Floors
    Ceiling
    Fixures/Other
    Common Areas 2650
    Fixtures 400
    Ceilings
    Flooring 750
    Walls 1500
    Exterior 3750
    Paint/Brick 2500
    Landscape - Front 750
    Landscape - Back 500
    Pool/Other
    Roof
    Other
    Other 700
    Doors - Interior 200
    Doors - Exterior
    Windows
    Water Heater 500
    HVAC
    Plumbing

    Thank you, Hattie!  I really appreciate your time to post this information.  I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who has a hard to finding exactly what I'm looking for on the site.  There is so much good stuff, I often get "distracted" from my initial search with other items that pop up during the search.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.