Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jessica Edmond
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pensacola
Votes |
GC quit on me. Need help/advice asap .

Jessica Edmond
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pensacola
Posted

I ve been working with the same GC for 9 months now.  Was supposed to be 3.  We can see the final line.  Minor stuff needed to fully complete a full rehab.  He has ghosted us for days at a time and now he’s done it again but finally responded to text messages and said we need to find somebody else.  Way should or can I do? Don’t I need him to finalize the final

Inspection paperwork? 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
Replied

Ask him for a check list of what is and isn't done.  Also make sure you are paid up and he doesn't owe you any money.

• Theresa Harris
  • User Stats

Votes
    Russell Brazil
    Agent
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Washington, D.C.
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Washington, D.C.
    ModeratorReplied

Let him know if he doesn't complete the job you'll file a complaint with the state department of licensure.

BiggerPockets logo
    BiggerPockets
    |
    Sponsored
    Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
    Alan F.
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • California
    Votes |
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • California
    Replied
    Quote from @Jessica Edmond:

I ve been working with the same GC for 9 months now.  Was supposed to be 3.  We can see the final line.  Minor stuff needed to fully complete a full rehab.  He has ghosted us for days at a time and now he’s done it again but finally responded to text messages and said we need to find somebody else.  Way should or can I do? Don’t I need him to finalize the final

Inspection paperwork? 

I'm no expert on Florida contractor license law but from what I've read statute 489.533 covers abandonment. I've heard of being a J violation.

Here's a link

https://www2.myfloridalicense.com/construction-industry/faqs/#:~:text=A%20%E2%80%9Cj%E2%80%9D%20violation%20is%20abandoning,failed%20to%20perform%20without%20cause.

your contract may have an impact on the outcome. 

User Stats

Votes
    Replied

Hey Jessica, 

Did you pay for any of the rehab upfront that was not completed?

User Stats

Votes
    Peter Mckernan
    Agent
    Pro Member
    • Residential Real Estate Agent
    • Irvine, CA
    Votes |
    Agent
    Pro Member
    • Irvine, CA
    Replied

Inspection paperwork? 

Would try to go after his bond if he is bonded too ! 

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
    Jessica Edmond
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Votes |
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Replied

He won’t respond to me even for that but I can tell What still needs done 

User Stats

Votes
    Jessica Edmond
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Votes |
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Replied

How do I do that and what does it mean 

User Stats

Votes
    Jessica Edmond
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Votes |
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Replied

I paid him 20 k deposit and then paid him for all work once it was complete.  I do owe him 5k and told him the checks were ready for pickup but still no response 

User Stats

Votes
    Jessica Edmond
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Votes |
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Replied

Thankyou. I’ll research that more 

User Stats

Votes
    Henry Clark
    Pro Member
    #1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
    • Developer
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
    • Developer
    Replied

You can step in and walk thru for the final inspection to get occupancy.

What is left to do? Generally.

Do you have a realtor you have worked with?  Ask them to recommend or send their crew over.  This is where having a Team comes in.  If you have a consistent realtor they will help you out.  

• Henry Clark
  • User Stats

Votes
    Replied

I paid him 20 k deposit and then paid him for all work once it was complete.  I do owe him 5k and told him the checks were ready for pickup but still no response 

1- You hold that 5k until…
    2- Review the details in your contract, specifically Scope of Work, release payment descriptions
    3- Review contractor default or termination clauses or language in contract
    4- Review permit status with municipality, if permits were pulled. Final or Incomplete? Name on permits match the GC under contract or were subs used to pull permits. If Subs pulled permits, and they are not complete, you will need the contact info for the subs used.
    5- Perform a photo documented site inspection, written detail of unfinished work directly covered by the language/scope of work description in your contract. 
    6- If permits are complete, signed of as FINAL, no further inspections required, then solicit an estimate from another contractor for the list of unfinished work. Compare that estimate to the $5k withheld from default contractor. 
    7- Prepare a delivery of the documented unfinished work, written detail with photographs, a copy of the replacement contractor estimate, with a termination notice certified mail to the default contractor. Review the contract for terms and procedure for default, if any are written.
    8- Keep a copy of their refusal to complete the work as Contractor Default, keep the final $5k as contractor default.
    9- Pay the new contractor to fish the job, let the Old contractor deal with trying to get the last 5k from small claims court, which they will likely fail to achieve.

PS yes I blew past “what if permits are not signed off as complete” thats a PITA of its own thread.

User Stats

Votes
    Bruce Woodruff
    Pro Member
    #1 Contractors Contributor
    • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
    • West Valley Phoenix
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #1 Contractors Contributor
    • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
    • West Valley Phoenix
    Replied

Do not pay him any more $$, don't even dangle it out there as a possibility. Like @Joel Forsythe said, have written proof of his refusal to complete and even print yout emails and texts showing that you continually requested him to finish up.

Then get someone else to finish and let him sue you in SC for the balance. They will never rule for him if you have written proof of all this.

BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    Peter Mckernan
    Agent
    Pro Member
    • Irvine, CA
    Votes |
    Agent
    Pro Member
    • Irvine, CA
    Replied

This is someone who probably will not respond, people that go silent are ones that are not willing to face the truth/cannot meet the expectations. I would for sure work with an attorney on this one and get to the bottom of going after their bond if they have one.

No, agree with Bruce do not pay this guy until they finish the job. Your money paid will put you in a place that will not have any final work done and out all the money. Get someone else to do the work and pay them to finish out the job not this unresponsive GC.

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
    Jessica Edmond
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Votes |
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Replied

My original question was how to I complete the job without the original GC?  Don’t I need him to attend the final inspection? Or can a different GC complete the final inspection?  Does it matter? 

User Stats

Votes
    Jessica Edmond
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Votes |
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pensacola
    Replied

Aweeeowm.  Thankyou 

User Stats

Votes
    Replied

Hey Jessica, 

You can bring in a different GC to take over the project. The new GC will likely want to inspect the previous GC's work to ensure it meets quality standards and to identify any potential issues. The final inspection can also be handled by this new GC to ensure everything is up to par.