Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kyryl Sokolov
Votes |
Convert Single-family to add more units

Kyryl Sokolov
Posted Jul 10 2024, 23:30

Hello, Bigger Pockets! First timer here. I have bought single family owner occupied unit in seattle NR3 zoning(residential single family up to 2 ADUs allowed). 

I have 2 story house with the basement. 3/1 with opportunity to add second bathroom on the second floor.  

I am exploring the idea of removing the stairs in the main house to the 2 floor and stairs to the basement to convert the 2nd story to a separate unit(add stairs outside) and convert the basement(cut egress door). 

It seems like a very sophisticated project, but doable. I have around 150-200k.

Should I convert 2nd story unit to ADU or convert the house to the multifamily? What is the difference? What are pros and cons?

With the basement its a bit trickier. Height of the ceiling without floor is 6’ 10. It has some cracks on the floor and slight slope. To make it legal adu I need at least 7 feet of ceilings. House built in 1925, are there any grandpa low to make it legal with the current height without digging-out basement? Should I take a rout of a non-confirmed unit? What are the legal problem I can face by renting non-confirmed unit? Is it worth to dig-out 0.5 - 1 feet of the basement to make it confirmed? 

Where should I start? Architect(seems very expensive) or architectural designer will be enough? Or any other expertise could be consulted to start this project ?

I am new to the real estate business and this country, thats why I really appreciate any guidence here.

Thank you in advance folks!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Treacy
Pro Member
  • Architect
  • Chicago
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Architect
  • Chicago
Replied Jul 11 2024, 07:59

Hey @Kyryl Sokolov, congrats on the property, it seems like it will be a fun project. Zoning ordinances, building codes, and ADU rules are all hyper local, so I would suggest you get an architect involved to help sort through everything. Make sure you hire a licensed architect, this project will need a building permit, and non-licensed designers cannot apply for a building permit.

ADU's typically have less code impact on the property. For example, in some cities you don't need to add a parking space for an ADU where you would need to add one for an additional unit. Similar things apply to overall building square footage, building height, etc. This is a general statement, so you would need to research your local codes to see how it applies in your case.

If you proceed with the project, you should go through the proper permitting process. If you don’t, they can force you to remove the new construction and restore it back to its original state and issue fines. This will likely come up if you ever try to sell.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Kurt West
  • Architect
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 11 2024, 14:26

An architect is your best friend during this phase. He/She will know the answers to all of your questions.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Kyryl Sokolov
Votes |
Replied Jul 11 2024, 15:49
Quote from @Kurt West:

An architect is your best friend during this phase. He/She will know the answers to all of your questions.

Hi, Kurt, thanks for the advice. I see that you are an architect tourself. Do you have any recommendations how to distinguish great architect from not that great for my project?  

User Stats

Votes
Adrian Chu
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 14 2024, 04:11
Quote from @Kyryl Sokolov:

Hello, Bigger Pockets! First timer here. I have bought single family owner occupied unit in seattle NR3 zoning(residential single family up to 2 ADUs allowed). 

I have 2 story house with the basement. 3/1 with opportunity to add second bathroom on the second floor.  

I am exploring the idea of removing the stairs in the main house to the 2 floor and stairs to the basement to convert the 2nd story to a separate unit(add stairs outside) and convert the basement(cut egress door). 

It seems like a very sophisticated project, but doable. I have around 150-200k.

Should I convert 2nd story unit to ADU or convert the house to the multifamily? What is the difference? What are pros and cons?

With the basement its a bit trickier. Height of the ceiling without floor is 6’ 10. It has some cracks on the floor and slight slope. To make it legal adu I need at least 7 feet of ceilings. House built in 1925, are there any grandpa low to make it legal with the current height without digging-out basement? Should I take a rout of a non-confirmed unit? What are the legal problem I can face by renting non-confirmed unit? Is it worth to dig-out 0.5 - 1 feet of the basement to make it confirmed? 

Where should I start? Architect(seems very expensive) or architectural designer will be enough? Or any other expertise could be consulted to start this project ?

I am new to the real estate business and this country, thats why I really appreciate any guidence here.

Thank you in advance folks!

To make it into legal accessory dwelling units, you would need to apply for the permit to do so. For the short basement, you can underpin/dig down or lift the house up. It's not worth spending so much money on a short basement even if you can, as it will affect the end result. 

Does your property have a backyard?  Another option is to consider building a detached adu if feasible.

User Stats

Votes
Kurt West
  • Architect
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 14 2024, 06:56
Quote from @Kyryl Sokolov:
Quote from @Kurt West:

Hi, Kurt, thanks for the advice. I see that you are an architect tourself. Do you have any recommendations how to distinguish great architect from not that great for my project?  

- Review their portfolio.  
- Just call some architects, ask them about their process. Take good notes.
- Ask them about their fees and schedule. That should help you with your decision.