Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kyryl Sokolov
Votes |
Convert Single-family to add more units

Kyryl Sokolov
Posted Jul 10 2024, 23:30

Hello, Bigger Pockets! First timer here. I have bought single family owner occupied unit in seattle NR3 zoning(residential single family up to 2 ADUs allowed). 

I have 2 story house with the basement. 3/1 with opportunity to add second bathroom on the second floor.  

I am exploring the idea of removing the stairs in the main house to the 2 floor and stairs to the basement to convert the 2nd story to a separate unit(add stairs outside) and convert the basement(cut egress door). 

It seems like a very sophisticated project, but doable. I have around 150-200k.

Should I convert 2nd story unit to ADU or convert the house to the multifamily? What is the difference? What are pros and cons?

With the basement its a bit trickier. Height of the ceiling without floor is 6’ 10. It has some cracks on the floor and slight slope. To make it legal adu I need at least 7 feet of ceilings. House built in 1925, are there any grandpa low to make it legal with the current height without digging-out basement? Should I take a rout of a non-confirmed unit? What are the legal problem I can face by renting non-confirmed unit? Is it worth to dig-out 0.5 - 1 feet of the basement to make it confirmed? 

Where should I start? Architect(seems very expensive) or architectural designer will be enough? Or any other expertise could be consulted to start this project ?

I am new to the real estate business and this country, thats why I really appreciate any guidence here.

Thank you in advance folks!

Loading replies...