Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Gabe Morrell
  • Homeowner
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul Area
Votes |
Is house flipping a smart way to jump into REI?

Gabe Morrell
  • Homeowner
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul Area
Posted Jun 29 2024, 13:26

Hi BP Community,

My wife and I are looking to get into the REI game and exploring our options as to what our first strategy could be. In talking with people already in the game, many have told us that long term rentals right now are not a great option due to high home prices and higher interest rates; they would be very hard to cashflow aside from a sizeable down payment.

What these same people have recommended is fixing and flipping right now, since homes are still selling. One BP community member I got lunch with yesterday told me successful flippers avoid minor cosmetic repairs such as paint, trim, floors, etc. due to a glut of investors all trying to do the same. They instead focus on fully gutting their projects and install entirely new kitchens, bathrooms, fireplaces, accent walls, etc. and any exterior or mechanical upgrades necessary.

While I understand this whole hog strategy, part of me says this will end up increasing the value of a home so far beyond other homes in the surrounding area that it wouldn't sell for what it's likely worth. (maybe this is area dependent?)

For any successful flippers out there, what strategy have you found the most success in? Minor cosmetic repairs only? Full interior gut and remodels? How did you get started in with the fix and flip strategy?

And finally, do you recommend a fix and flip as our first REI endeavor? We both have some home repair skills, but would likely need to hire out larger work such as electrical, plumbing, roofing, siding, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Loading replies...