How save money on trash out for a hoarder’s house?

How save money on trash out for a hoarder’s house?

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 24 posts · 9 votes

Hi, everyone, happy new year!

I spent more than 5k on my first property for all the trash out (3 largest dumpers, GC, labor, texas).

I got my second house for flip from foreclosure.

It’s still a hoarder’s home, more trash than the previous one:(

Anyone has some tips on how to save on trash out? It’s really a big ticket for me.

1Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Andy WebbPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
2y

Depending on the condition of the junk, you might open it up to the neighborhood.  We bought one a few years ago that was just a lot of stuff, knee-high, but not a ton of dirty trash, so I just put a sign in the yard saying something like "Free stuff".  Random people hauled off a ridiculous amount of the junk for us.  We also usually call one of our area junker/metal guys and they will take a lot of metal stuff for free. 

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lily Wang:

     Anyone has some tips on how to save on trash out? It’s really a big ticket for me.

    We bought a 17 yard dump trailer and a little GC1705 tractor with a bucket after our first hoarder house. It paid for itself during the next hoarder house. I wish I was closer to Houston so I could help but we are 3 hours away!
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    @Kristi K.

    Thank you! I got the idea of investing on the dumpster:)

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    You could always DIY it.

    You could always rent a trailer from Home Depot along with a pickup truck, carry the stuff out yourself, or move it with the helper. Then drive it over to the dump.

    Then a good once over with a shop vac would probably get you the same results.

    Good Luck!

  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
    2y

    Depending on the condition of the junk, you might open it up to the neighborhood.  We bought one a few years ago that was just a lot of stuff, knee-high, but not a ton of dirty trash, so I just put a sign in the yard saying something like "Free stuff".  Random people hauled off a ridiculous amount of the junk for us.  We also usually call one of our area junker/metal guys and they will take a lot of metal stuff for free. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    @Andy Webb

    Good ideas! Very inspiring.

    How do you manage the free stuff pickup?

    You just do yard sign? Does it need to have someone stay at the property for a specific period of time for the pickup things?

  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
    2y

    @Lily Wang - in this "Free Stuff" case, I was onsite (happened to be 3 miles from my home, so easy enough) - I don't normally do any of the actual rehab work, so was probably just puttering around.  Literally put a sign in the yard that said "Free Stuff" or similar, with an arrow.  With the junk guys I just meet them there, does not usually take them long to sort out what they want, but usually cuts my load significantly.  If you have someone that will be doing any sort of prep work or demo ahead of the rehab, perhaps they could be onsite for you if needed.

    In other cases, I have reached out to Salvation Army - they will take clothes in decent shape and furniture as well - I have moved a lot of couches and such that way.  I just set the stuff in the driveway and let them know it is there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Never underestimate the power of a facebook marketplace porch pickup.  I am always amazed at the junk people will take if it is free and it has saved me several trips to the dump.  One man's trash is another's treasure.  You could take the nicer stuff out in the yard or if the house is really packed just post some pictures saying to take what you can carry.  I would make sure to be there though as some may get overzealous taking things you don't want to get rid of like appliances or fixtures but you should be able to easily get rid of at least 1 dumpster of stuff.  I had a guy drive over an hour for some scrap metal I posted where there is no way it was worth a 2 hour round trip drive but that is not my problem.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I usually just rent a large dumpster - costs between 400-500/week for the rental and get it emptied out. I don't try to save anything or go through anything. It all goes in the dumpster. This would be for debris removal. 

    Depending on the level of debris you may have that dumpster filled up or, if it's big enough, get the demo done too - old flooring, cabinets, countertops etc 

    I typically like to get the debris removal and demo done prior to hiring a contractor - to me it's a fairly straight forward activity. It usually doesn't cost me more than 2k and that's for a nasty house and hiring a couple helpers. 

    Demo/Debris is usually done within the first few days - a week max 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    So you can rent a dumpster for $500 or $600. Even if it takes three that’s only $1800. You don’t need skilled labor to take trash to the dumpster. I’m not sure how you can do it any cheaper than this.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    @Joe S.

    We rent the 40yard dumpster for around 800bucks (all inclusive), houston. Are cheaper ones there?

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lily Wang:

    @Joe S.

    We rent the 40yard dumpster for around 800bucks (all inclusive), houston. Are cheaper ones there?

    I just asked my wife and I think I was a little low on the price. 750 to 800 sounds about right. 
  • Member since 2023 · 158 posts · 96 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Adam Martin:

    Never underestimate the power of a facebook marketplace porch pickup.  I am always amazed at the junk people will take if it is free and it has saved me several trips to the dump.  One man's trash is another's treasure.  You could take the nicer stuff out in the yard or if the house is really packed just post some pictures saying to take what you can carry.  I would make sure to be there though as some may get overzealous taking things you don't want to get rid of like appliances or fixtures but you should be able to easily get rid of at least 1 dumpster of stuff.  I had a guy drive over an hour for some scrap metal I posted where there is no way it was worth a 2 hour round trip drive but that is not my problem.  


     I couldn't agree more with this. Just the word "free" is your first step. Set it up like a garage sale and be on site. Besides Facebook marketplace also put up signs. 

    The second move is donation centers. Google in your area and call to see if they will pick up for free. 

    For anything that doesn't get taken then rent a Uhaul and take the rest to the dump.

  • Member since 2022 · 75 posts · 73 votes
    2y

    Have you ever looked into the dumpster "bags" if they have those in your area? They are usually a lot more cost effective. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2023 · 128 posts · 124 votes
    2y
    You never know what you'll get, but Craigslist is an option I've used several times. I'll rent the dumpster ($350 to $600 depending on size) and then I'll pay some folks looking for extra cash anywhere from $500 to $1500 to totally empty the place.
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    If there is anything decent, you can post on Facebook Marketplace for free and some people will pick it up. I had a pile of dirt in my front yard because the sewer company wouldn't take it. I posted it on FB and it was gone same day.

    I wonder if you did an "event" where you basically opened the door and said take whatever you want. Like a yard sale but free.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.