Have rental applications slowed down for you during quarantine?

Have rental applications slowed down for you during quarantine?

Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 10 votes

Looking to get an idea of how many rental applications people are receiving now vs during normal times. I listed a new unit for rent in the Bronzeville area last month and applications have been really slow. Wondering if I need to drop the rent or if I should just wait it out.

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
6y

One of my own rentals, the tenant who had a small business after 3 months within the lease wanted to terminate early due to Covid.  Ended up putting it on market, and got someone within 2 days.  Leasing seems to be strong here still.  (Austin, TX).  Keep in mind, this house is 10 mins from dtown, so not sure if that matters. 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan NelsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago and Kansas City · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 61 votes
    6y

    It is definitely slow for me as well in Albany Park.  Do you use a specific site to list your rentals?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Yes rental leads have way slowed down. You can still get places leased but I would compare it to listing in thanksgiving time when barely anyone is looking. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    I'm not sure what's normal for my area, Lincoln Square, as this was my first rental, but thought I'd share.  I listed second week of March for a 4/1 start date and didn't have much activity.  The last week of March, I changed start date to 5/1 and added that I could do virtual tours and got a flurry of activity.  I was getting 2-3 new requests a day for a week and got it filled quickly.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Byron W. I am still getting rental interest in the western burbs. I have two apartments listed in Berwyn and am getting probably 1-2 hits per day. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    One of my own rentals, the tenant who had a small business after 3 months within the lease wanted to terminate early due to Covid.  Ended up putting it on market, and got someone within 2 days.  Leasing seems to be strong here still.  (Austin, TX).  Keep in mind, this house is 10 mins from dtown, so not sure if that matters. 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I've had 4 units rented out of 20 that I own during Covid so I'm not seeing any drop. I need more units for a better sample size.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Amrit Babu one of my tenants in East Austin emailed and found a roommate to move into the 3 bedroom house they're renting to help cover rent, pending my background check. Their responsibility made me feel good!

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 715 posts · 527 votes
    6y

    Not in Austin. I listed a townhome for my client on Friday 2 weeks ago and it was leased out in a day. I still got 20+ inquiries after it went pending. Location, price and condition are all a factor but I would say people still need a place to live during their crisis and there are more serious people looking right now as they have to move.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Hey Texas peeps, I was directing this to Chicago since our lockdown situation is a bit unique to some other cities. Thanks for the input though.

  • Sarita ScherpereelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
    6y

    @Byron W.

    Hi Bryon! I have three new buyers that bought in February. Their buildings had vacancies that they needed to fill right away- at the beginning of COVID. It took them most of March but they all found tenants. Two moved in at the start of April and one moves in next week. They had to price the rentals slightly lower than they would have liked to fill the vacancies and it worked. These were in the Northside but I think price is key everywhere. Tenants need incentive to move (unless they have to) If it seems like a good deal they will be more inclined to move. Best of luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    I've had 11 vacant units available that came out of rehab beginning of March.  I've filled 6 of them so far during COVID, but had to drop the rent price by $50/unit and give half off first month's rent.  5 units remain vacant, though we've rejected a few applications.

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I had great response last week on a C class 8 unit building where rehab was just completed. I have 4 of the 8 units already schedule for lease signings this weekend. Rents are close to the top of what the market will support w/ no incentives. I am however paying a lot more attention to occupation and requiring recent paystubs to ensure they're still working.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    I rented out a nice 1 bedroom apt in Edgewater in mid February for early April occupancy. I got a great rent and excellent tenants. I did 3 back-to-back showings one afternoon and that was it! Boy, was I lucky.  Three weeks later and who knows....

    In general, in Chicago, the sweet spot is to list unit 6 weeks out.But with current stay-at-home order, it is not legal to show an occupied apartment. (Personally, I think that is fair)

  • Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    I had two lease expirations which got filled out quickly using Zillow. Both are 1 bedrooms with modern kitchens and baths in vintage buildings. Both were posted on Zillow and rec'd very strong interest. Both were rented to young professionals with great credit histories. This is the difference between owning rental properties in 'iffy' areas as opposed to established and desirable areas. When the stuff hits the fan the landlord can be up a creek unless the apartments are located in places where people actually want to live. The one bedrooms rented out at $1325 each. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.