Where to rent in Colorado Springs, CO (Young Active Professional)

Where to rent in Colorado Springs, CO (Young Active Professional)

Toms River, NJ · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 10 votes

First the backstory. Feel free to skip to the end for the question :)

I am a 30 year old guy who grew up in Central New Jersey and although I have made plenty of friends here, I have really never felt at home. It just seems like people are in a rush to get everywhere, so stressed, and not into the same way of life that I am, the weather is humid, and the cost of living is high.

I have always taken the safe route in life, rarely taking chances and also foregoing experiences/vacations until last year.
Ever since I was a child, I felt an attraction to the West, specifically Colorado. I had never visited CO until Feb 2020 for a weeklong snowboarding trip to Breck and absolutely loved it. Since then, I have taken a few other trips to different states and even Mexico (if you knew me, that would surprise you!)

For years, I knew that I did not want to stay in the Northeast but up until now I haven't felt like I was ready or had a good excuse to take the plunge and move.

I have been reducing the amount of "stuff" in my life for years to the point where I can now fit everything that I own in (or on) my 2011 Honda Fit.
I have paid off all of my debt, have over 6 months of my current spending in cash, and have a current NW around $282k with $120k of that in a taxable account.
I have a stable job as a Data Analyst that I have been working remote with since the pandemic hit.
I am single with no children or pets (but do have 2 small house plants)

I love walking, cycling, mountain biking, snowboarding, kayaking, hiking... basically all things active and outdoors.
I like to reduce the amount of my personal consumption and focus on the important things in life such as my relationships, health, and finances.
I am that guy in the neighborhood that always walks or bikes everywhere although I have a great car parked in the driveway.

Anyway, a good friend of mine asked what I thought about moving out west with him. We have both been feeling a bit... stuck lately.
Now that I am working remotely (I asked my employer to remain remote even after everyone returns to the office... request pending), I have someone to go and split costs with, and I really don't have much keeping me in the Northeast (family likely moving to South Carolina in the next few years), I am ready to take the chance.

There are so many places that I'm sure I would like but in an attempt to not get analysis paralysis, and actually commit to making a move, I decided to focus on Colorado Springs.
This came after doing some research on decent cost of living areas that are ideal for young active professionals who love the outdoorsy lifestyle such as myself (and my friend).
It seems like there are good job opportunities there if I do chose to get a job in the area (likely to be the case if my job denies my wfh request).

Ultimately, I want to buy a small multifamily house to house-hack in but first I want to start narrowing down where in Colorado Springs I would like to be.
I felt that it would be best for us to rent a 2 bedroom apartment for maybe a year in Colorado Springs to get a feel for the area and see if/where I would like to buy something down the road.

I am not a big city guy but do like downtown and suburban areas. I like being walk/bike distance to grocery stores, gyms, etc. For reference, I currently walk about 3.5 miles to the nearest Aldi to get groceries :D
I am okay spending a little bit more if that puts me in a better suited-for-me area but still want the rent to be reasonable.

For anyone familiar with the area, do you have any recommended areas that I should look further into or stay away from given the little bit of info that was shared above?

Thanks so much!


TLDR; looking for areas in Colorado Springs for a young, active professional to rent a 2br apartment

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Daniel HillmanPro Member
Realtor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 21 votes
5y

Hey Matthew, welcome to the Springs! It is an amazing city and I think it will fit a lot of the criteria you have. I would look in the Old Colorado City area or anything on the West side of I-25. That will put you closer to the mountains with easier access to hiking and cycling. I love Red Rocks Canyon! You could also check out the North East side of town between downtown and Palmer Park. Palmer Park has some great trails and you could be in biking distance from downtown. Best of luck! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Spgs, CO · Member since 2020 · 91 posts · 61 votes
    5y

    Matt,

    From one Jersey guy to another, welcome (or potentially future welcome). Finding multi-families in the Springs are tough, but we have a pretty awesome investing community here. With that said, what would your timeline be to move out this way? I may have a rental opening up soon. Either way, feel free to connect and happy to help in anyway I can. 

  • Daniel HillmanPro Member
    Realtor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    Hey Matthew, welcome to the Springs! It is an amazing city and I think it will fit a lot of the criteria you have. I would look in the Old Colorado City area or anything on the West side of I-25. That will put you closer to the mountains with easier access to hiking and cycling. I love Red Rocks Canyon! You could also check out the North East side of town between downtown and Palmer Park. Palmer Park has some great trails and you could be in biking distance from downtown. Best of luck! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions. 

  • Toms River, NJ · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Gaal:

    Matt,

    From one Jersey guy to another, welcome (or potentially future welcome). Finding multi-families in the Springs are tough, but we have a pretty awesome investing community here. With that said, what would your timeline be to move out this way? I may have a rental opening up soon. Either way, feel free to connect and happy to help in anyway I can. 

     Hey Jeremy, thanks for the potential future welcome :D

    We are looking to take a trip out there this summer to get a gist of the area so the move likely will not take place until the fall.

  • Toms River, NJ · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Hillman:

    Hey Matthew, welcome to the Springs! It is an amazing city and I think it will fit a lot of the criteria you have. I would look in the Old Colorado City area or anything on the West side of I-25. That will put you closer to the mountains with easier access to hiking and cycling. I love Red Rocks Canyon! You could also check out the North East side of town between downtown and Palmer Park. Palmer Park has some great trails and you could be in biking distance from downtown. Best of luck! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions. 

    Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Daniel for the suggestions! We will check them out for sure. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Spgs, CO · Member since 2020 · 91 posts · 61 votes
    5y

    @Matthew H. No worries at all. Daniel gave some great locations to checkout and the hope is there may be a little more inventory available by then. Best of luck on your journey!

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 309 votes
    4y

    @Matthew H. Also thirty and also moving out there likely this fall! I've been looking in the northeast area for SFR rentals mostly but would love a Nw property if the right one popped up. Maybe I'll see you on a trail later this year!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.