Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Investor Mindset
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Marc Brandon
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Unbelievable Florida security deposit claim lawsuit!!!

Marc Brandon
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Posted Jul 17 2024, 18:13

Attention all Florida investors/landlords regarding making a claim on tenant's security deposit!! 

I obtained an eviction judgment against a former tenant who failed to pay rent in St. Petersburg, Florida (Pinellas County). After obtaining the judgment, but without my knowledge, tenant's attorney filed a "notice of last known address change re: security deposit" in the eviction case, listing an address belonging to an LLC located in another Florida county. Since I never received a copy of this notice, I was unaware of the address change or that the tenant assigned her security deposit claim rights to the LLC.

Within 30 days of tenant moving out of the property, I sent her a notice of intention to impose a claim on security deposit, via certified mail, to the tenant's last known address since I was unaware of the address change notice. The notice of intention to impose a claim on security deposit was returned to me as undeliverable by the USPS.

Now the LLC has filed a lawsuit against me for not returning the security deposit and/or for not sending the notice, via certified mail, to the LLC's address. Unfortunately it will be my word against the attorney regarding whether I ever received the notice and therefore knew about the address change. As a result, I will end having to pay the full amount of the security deposit and attorney's fees and costs to the attorney, even though I believe I fully complied with Florida law regarding this matter. To make matters worse, I discovered that this same law firm filed over 80 of these type of lawsuits against landlords just in 1 Florida county courthouse. Unbelievable!!!!

I welcome any feedback from other landlords regarding this type of case. Marc Brandon 

Loading replies...